Entertainment An Introduction to Pokemon Fangames (TITLE WIP)

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so this is my first time submitting an idea to The Smog, and I don't really know how to format these idea posts. I'm also not sure how relevant this is/if this will be accepted, but here goes; I lose nothing from this. :P

Essentially, I'd like to write an article detailing certain aspects of Pokemon fangames, and introduce them with the different styles and genres of these fangames. There would be various things that fangames do, such as introducing Pokemon (sometimes Fakemon), UI changes, having a new plot/region, and introducing new features. After this, I would go over notable titles and explain the basic premise (no spoilerinos) and give strengths and weaknesses. Titles I know I want to cover at the moment include Pokemon AshGray, Pokemon Dark Rising, Pokemon Zeta/Omicron, Pokemon Reborn, Pokemon Melanite, and Pokemon Blaze Black/Volt White. I will also give examples of their strengths by detailing a cutscene or an area.

I'm not sure if this is enough for a "brief description," but here it is.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh dang, not one reply?

I'm a bit on the fence about this. The topic in itself might be somewhat neutral, but I feel really unsure about aiming the spotlight towards hacked/altered games since we'd essentially advertising their existence. But on the other hand, it's the distribution of ROMs that's explicitly forbidden around here, so I'd like to have this run by Toast++ and Oglemi and see if they know of any policies to keep in mind.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, that's what I was worried about really. If ROM hacks are too much of a problem, I could always focus more on the fangames made in RMXP.

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I did a check on this and I think we're ok to run it as long as you're not linking to anything.

It's kind of a AREA

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
okay so one month later and there's still no definite call on this pitch

Personally, while I would be okay with having this written in The Smog, I'm not personally convinced that this is a topic that I or others would like to read, and it also feels weird to encourage the readers to try out games that we can't link due to legal issues. So despite the long time this pitch has been floating around, I'm leaning towards a no. skylight Toast++ Flora Vacate are free to advocate the opposite.

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I would read something like this, but it does seem to be doomed to run into problems. I guess side of caution says no.

Anyway, given that it's been a month and a half, Weebl may not even be interested anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)