[AMA] Superpowerdude

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread is a resource provided to you by the Smogon Mentorship Program. In it, feel free to ask this mentor about anything you'd like. They're most prepared to answer Smogon-related questions, but don't be afraid to ask them about their personality and life outside of this site. Have some patience when you post a question in this thread; it will likely take the mentor a few days to reply. If you're looking for our up-to-date list of mentors, check out our Mentor Profiles onsite. Read through their relevant information below, and enjoy!

Username: Superpowerdude

Areas of Expertise: Rate My Team, Little Cup, The Smog

Background: I came to smogon in early 2012, after I heard about pokemon online with the intention of having my teams rated and becoming a better Pokemon player. I spent my first few months n the rmt forum posting teams that weren't so good haha. After being there a while I decided I really wanted a badge so I starting rating teams frequently, I looked up to other users that I saw get badged after rating (Destiny Unkown, Sayonara, Jimbon, Jirachi) The rmt forum could tell that I was trying but I needed help to make my rates better, some rmt forum members gave me a lot of help and I eventually got badged on my birthday that year lol (October 8) Since then I have branched out to Little Cup, and The Smog, earning two more badges and then a few months ago I quit the site, having not as much time and other priorities. I have recently come back to the site and am resuming my duties as a mentor! :D

Hobbies Keeping fit haha the Barrstarzz are very good motivation for me and they do a lot of crazy body weight excercises check them out of youtuve if you haven't seen them, mma is another hobby of mine, hanging out with friends (of course lol) my music tastes are very broad but practically the only band I listen to at the moment is Korn lol. Oh and I have started getting into lucid dreaming but I'm not to good :O

Favourite Pokemon Its to hard to pick one and my favourites are forever changing so I'm just going to say Furfrou :P

Good Questions to Ask Me Team rating, getting involved in RMT, and The Smog, Htmling, generally my experiences with fitting into smogon culture, ask me questions about my life if you want, but its pretty boring haha ummm I ask questions about LC, in particular B/W LC since I'm very knowledgable there. I have not even bothered playing xy OU so chances are you are better than me at it :P there are a lot of mentors that play OU though so that will help :P but if you are thinking of asking a question and not sure if you should just ask! The worst thing that could happen is I don't know the answer so I will link you to another mentor that probably does. There are no stupid questions (unless you are trying to troll) lol

YOU ARE BACK
did the lack of lc teams in rmt pose a problem to your team rating destiny/dream/etc?
whats with your grammar =(
dont go away again
how long did you contribute to the site on an average?

Hi moonbase, I don't play xy ou so I'm afraid I won't be of much help. Do you use irc? You could go on the ratemyteam channel and ask some of them to rate your team there. Just be patient for a response as I'm sure you will get feedback eventually if multiple people are online. If you have never used irc before then send me a message and I will help you out. Here is a quick link to the ratemyteam channel #RateMyTeam, http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#ratemyteam&server=irc.synirc.net there is also a channel for the mentorship program to access it from the ratemyteam room just type in "/join #mentor" but if you are more interested in irc (if you have never or rarely used it) just message me and I will give you more help via pm.

Kingler12345

Yes! I said I was going to PM you the other day but I never did. 9.9 so I will do that a bit later :)

uh not to much really, in smogon I started off playing lc but thats before I rated teams and then I started playing ou more which is when I got into rating and eventually got tr then I started rating lc teams more after that where there were much more rmts posted then there used to be in lc. I swear when I first started on smogon there was only two pages of lc rmts for ages haha

My grammer is cute haha seriously though if you are reffering to my AMA thread I posted it from my phone so I will go back over the grammer in a bit :)

I won't go away ever ;)

Um your last question is kind of vague but I contributed to the rmt forum 6 months for my lady bug and 7 and a bit for tr which is a lot of time yeah, but back then the badge was harder to get and my rates started off super shitty so thats why it took a while :P

MondBlack

Hi! Well In general I personally pick one pokemon I want to build a team around and then take into consideration what will help support this particular pokemon since typically I pick a sweeper. This may be entry hazard support, using pokemon that lure in and weaken threats or pokemon that wall my sweeper, have Pokemon that spread status etc. I am normally a balanced player that uses a mix of offense and defense on my teams so I also like to create a defensive core of 2-3 pokemon to help me handle majority of the offensive threats in the tier. Looking at a tiers usage stats or a threatlist is a good way to identify troublsome pokemon quickly Then after this I will look at the team and ask myself some questions about my team. Does it do what its supposed to do? Is my team weak to multiple threats? Just questions like that and then I ask myself what I can do to fix these problems, its normally changing a pokemon or certain move on one of my guys.

Remember thats just my personal way of teambuilding, two things you must understand is:

*There is no perfect way to teambuild-there are many different styles, balanced, bulky offense, hyper offense, volt turn, etc
*No matter how good your team is, it will always have weaknesses-just identify the weaknesses and try to work around them in a battle.

So I'm sorry that there is no exact 'best way' but yeah for a more in depth look at teambuilding, take a look at Limitless's article here http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue28/teambuilding it should be of help!

The best way to proceed after that is simply to ladder with your team. You can only think of what your team is weak to or strong against until you experience it in a battle. When battling you may find your team has a lot more problems then you originally thought so you go around tweaking your team to make it better suit the tier your playing in. Its also important to stay consistent, don't stop using a team after a couple of days because it sucks, find out why it sucks and keep on making it better. After you have played with a team for a while and tweaked it a lot you may be interested in what other people have to say about your team so you could post it in the rmt forum. This is only oppitional mind you, and be sure to play test your team quite a bit before posting an rmt for the best results :)

Hope I helped guys!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hello Superpowerdude!

How does someone get involved in the Smog? How did you?

Do you feel that Genesect is a good choice to build a team around?

What weather condition do you personally prefer to rate/use?

In LC is attacking power more important than defense or vice versa?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)