[AMA] Raseri

Status
Not open for further replies.

This Ask Me Anything (AMA) thread is a resource provided to you by the Smogon Mentorship Program. In it, feel free to ask this mentor about anything you'd like. They're most prepared to answer Smogon-related questions, but don't be afraid to ask them about their personality and life outside of this site. Have some patience when you post a question in this thread; it will likely take the mentor a few days to reply. If you're looking for our up-to-date list of mentors, check out our Mentor Profiles onsite. Read through their relevant information below, and enjoy!

Username: Raseri

Areas of Expertise: NU, Contributions and Corrections.

Background: I've been around on Smogon for quite awhile. I registered back before Garchomp was banned in Gen IV! I didn't really get involved in the community until RU became a tier, where i failed to make a council cause I wasn't very good. When NU came around I got more involved, and eventually became a CC holder, council member, mod, and eventually leader!

Hobbies: Smogon, TF2, been watching lots of anime lately. :)

Favorite Pokemon: Musharna and Tirtouga are great, though I really love Binacle as well :)

Good Questions to Ask Me: Serious questions are much preferred. Ill answer anything thats asked though. :)

(more serious) Why do you think Charizard only was considered to be very good (S-Rank rather than B-Rank) rather recently despite being in the tier for over a year?

(less serious) Since you like Binacle do you also like Barbaracle?

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Raseri n_n

What was your favorite pokemon to use in NU?

Favorite to use in LC right now?

What do you do for fun besides play pokemon?

Soulgazer banned me from #neverused for regging soulgazer|pooping, would you unban me please?

I asked this question during NU cast but I would be more interested in hearing who the NU tier leader thinks is the biggest embarrassment to the NU community. Who is it and why?

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
NU questions:

Is there one Pokemon that always gives your team trouble?

What Pokemon do you always fit into your team because it's just that good?

Favourite core?

How would you advise a newcomer trying to get into NU?

Why do you think Wartortle got shitted upon just 2-3 stages ago for being the worst spinner ever, but now it's regarded as the best? Similarly why was Armaldo once considered great but now considered terrible?

Other questions:
How does being tier leader feel like?
Are you busy irl and how do you manage your time?
How did you come up with your name?

(more serious) Why do you think Charizard only was considered to be very good (S-Rank rather than B-Rank) rather recently despite being in the tier for over a year?

(less serious) Since you like Binacle do you also like Barbaracle?
1. The drop of Jynx to NU likely played a large role in Charizards success. As the best Jynx counter, Metang, happens to be 100% zard bait (unless you run rock slide like me). Also, one day we just realized that Charizard doesn't really care about the Stealth Rock weakness because of Blaze. Finally, Acrobatics being released forced us to look at it again, we can't ignore a Pokemon with such a cool move.

2.Yes I love Binacle and Barbaracle. Barbaracle is the first in game level 100 I've gotten since Fearow in Crystal. I find the concept of them kinda silly, but still really cool. Binacle is a let down stats-wise, but Barbaracle is definitely good enough to be used competitively.

Hi Raseri n_n

What was your favorite pokemon to use in NU?

Favorite to use in LC right now?

What do you do for fun besides play pokemon?

Soulgazer banned me from #neverused for regging soulgazer|pooping, would you unban me please?

I asked this question during NU cast but I would be more interested in hearing who the NU tier leader thinks is the biggest embarrassment to the NU community. Who is it and why?

Hi nuclearalpacas :)

1. Musharna. Ive been huge on Musharna for over a year and a half. It always has been and always will be special to me.
2. Corphish and Houndour are both fun because of how amazingly hard they hit. Nothing likes switching into them.
3. I had a decent binge on TF2 about a week ago. Logged around 60 hours in 10 days. I've also been watching lots of anime lately, finished Baccano! and Steins;Gate the other day. Outside of that, I've played Dungeons a bit, but my groups been busy lately so we haven't played in a month.
4. you're unbanned now :)
5. I don't really think thats a fair question to answer. We are all embarrassments in our own ways :) but I appreciate every contributor to NU, so calling anyone a true embarrassment isn't nice at all!

NU questions:

Is there one Pokemon that always gives your team trouble?

What Pokemon do you always fit into your team because it's just that good?

Favourite core?

How would you advise a newcomer trying to get into NU?

Why do you think Wartortle got shitted upon just 2-3 stages ago for being the worst spinner ever, but now it's regarded as the best? Similarly why was Armaldo once considered great but now considered terrible?

Other questions:
How does being tier leader feel like?
Are you busy irl and how do you manage your time?
How did you come up with your name?
1. I'm always Charizard weak, even if i carry a counter and two checks. :). other than zard, a lot of my teams find Haunter and Piloswine annoying.
2. Musharna. I don't think I have ever made a good team without musharna. It's utility is just amazing.
3. Primeape / Skuntank is my favourite offensive core. U-turn out of Missy and Mush and trap them. Through in Band Sawk too if you want to crush everything.
4. Don't be afraid to help! Most of us don't bite, and we'll help anyone who is interesting in playing. In terms of teambuilding advice, keep things simple at first. You don't need to reinvent the metagame, using whats already established is a good way to learn the tier. Innovate once you know whats going on!
5. Wartortle has always been interesting for that. I don't think it was ever thought of as the "worst spinner ever" but we just didn't like it because it could accomplish nothing outside of spinning, and even then it would often be difficult to pull off. In the current metagame, it is easier for Wartortle to spin now than it was in the past, and it has just enough defensive utility to not be 100% useless outside of spinning. Armaldo was also never thoguht of as great, but for a long time it did its job quite well. It just has a lot of bad traits that make it inferior as a spinner. Such as:

• Stealth Rock weak
  • Being a Rock-type that doesn't resist Fire
  • Being a Bug-type that doesn't resist Fighting
  • Being slow
Armaldo just has to many negative qualities to spin most of the time. Though an offensive set is surprisingly good, its stone edges hit hard.

6. Being tier leader is an interesting experience, as now I'm expected to comment on policy discussion when I've never done so before. It's a lot of fun, and knowing that I have an effect on the competitive pokemon community makes it worthwhile.
7. Sometimes I get really busy, like back in July I disappeared for quite awhile. My life hasn't been to busy lately (easy semester, next one is way harder), so I've had the time to dedicate to smogon. Also smogon is a large part of my life, so I have scheduled time for it quite a bit. Without it i feel lonely :).
8. My username has a kinda cool story behind it. It was back in 2006 when I played Runescape a lot. I was in a fun clan called Disruption, and was hanging out on IRC when a friend of mine decided to change his name to a random Japanese word. So being the cool 12 year old I was, I found an equally cool word that I began to use as my IRC nickname. And overtime the name just kinda stuck. It became the main thing people knew me by when I was working with this clan. And even after leaving I've used this name. And on a few websites, I've found old people that I knew that recognized the name. None on Smogon yet though. But if you played runescape in 2006-2009 and knew the clan disruption, PM me :>.

./end.

What is your favorite Bunnelby: shiny or regular?

What is your favorite creative Bunnelby moveset?

Coolest underrated NU Pokemon?

Most overrated NU Pokemon (can't pick Armaldo because that's just tacky)?

What happened to Bo Peep in Toy Story 3?

Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lifes?

Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy?

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Do you think you will lead XY NU?

Why are you such a qt-3.14?

On a scale of 0 to Annoyer 's avatar, how much did you cry while watching Clannad and Clannad After Story?

Thoughts on user Lasagne21 ?

And wtf you played Runescape too, we need to talk x_x

Last edited:
Hey Raseri! :)

So I have to question to make :

1. What made you start playing NU? Were you playing a different tier other than NU before you jumped to the tier?

2. Iirc you said that SwagPard is not broken and should not be banned.. Why do you think that?

Thanks! :)

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
1) Do you prefer Red Pandas or Llamas?

2) First predicted NU mod in XY?

3) Will I ever be unbanned from #neverused for a week or more in one go?

Last edited:
What is your favorite Bunnelby: shiny or regular?

What is your favorite creative Bunnelby moveset?

Coolest underrated NU Pokemon?

Most overrated NU Pokemon (can't pick Armaldo because that's just tacky)?

What happened to Bo Peep in Toy Story 3?

Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lifes?

Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy?

1. regular bunnelby is just a little bit more bunny to me, so it is my favourite. :)
2. Spikes bunny! He's so cute when hes laying traps to damage the enemy team. So sneaky bunny :>
3. Shiftry. Shiftry hits to many things hard, and his typing gives him just enough opportunities to switch in. Psychic immunity is strong.
4. Miltank and Electabuzz are 2 pokemon that constantly get more usage than they should. They're both OK mons, but neither of them really excel at anything.
5. I think she and Woody had a bad break up, and the gang doesn't talk about her because they don't want him to feel bad. Always bringing up exes doesn't do a hurting man much good!
6. Only on tuesdays
7. http://puu.sh/5DrUs.jpg

why dont you start sakurasou already? finals arent really a thing anyway right?

http://puu.sh/5DrUs.jpg
1. Theyre not really a thing, i just have to pretend to care enough that i dont feel bad. Also, my list of things to watch is getting so long I have to make tough choices!

Do you think you will lead XY NU?

Why are you such a qt-3.14?

On a scale of 0 to Annoyer 's avatar, how much did you cry while watching Clannad and Clannad After Story?

Thoughts on user Lasagne21 ?

And wtf you played Runescape too, we need to talk x_x
1. I hope to lead it, assuming im still active when it rolls around.
2. I drink lots of milk for strong bones and teeth!
3. 6. I did tear up, but didn't really cry. The latter half of after story was definitly close, but I got way closer to crying from some other series. Clannad seems almost over the top with how it pulled at my heart strings. It was still great though.
4. "at least I'm not las"
5. Dude i played that game from 2005-2010. I was around when construction became a skill :)

Hey Raseri! :)

So I have to question to make :

1. What made you start playing NU? Were you playing a different tier other than NU before you jumped to the tier?

2. Iirc you said that SwagPard is not broken and should not be banned.. Why do you think that?

Thanks! :)
1. I failed to get requirements for an RU suspect test. Shortly after that NU was made a tier, so i starteed hanging out with them and laddering a lot. I got onto the first vote (for gorebyss), but didn't make the permanent council. I played lots of RU and LC before i got into NU.
2. SwagPard isn't broken just because there are lots of viable ways to beat it. Its an unreliable strategy that rarely works.

1) Do you prefer Red Pandas or Llamas?

2) First predicted NU mod in XY?

3) Will I ever be unbanned from #neverused for a week or more in one go?
1. red llamas
2. me :). if DTC is still around and interested id probably pick him cause we work well together, but its still to early to tell.
3. Ive never seen you when you were unbanned so i cant really answer that! some day youll be unbanned and stay that way :>

favorite anime??

why you hate nu :(

1. Welcome to the NHK really stuck with me. That and Steins;Gate (how unique, I know) are probably my 2 favourites.
2. shit tier shit mons play OU if real player

Got a spot for me on the council when XY NU starts?
1. I've got 3 spots saved for you :)

Hey, I want to introduce a tentacruel to my team. In a sense of double battle, what do you think i should do, as far move pool and possible IVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)