Alolan Sandshrew, Sandslash Discussion

Made an account for Sun/Moon's approach, and I just needed to get in on this thread because Sandslash has always been one of my favorites and I'm desperate to get this thing working somehow.

What do you think of... Z-Hail? Set up your own Slush Rush, plus Z versions of weather moves give you a +1 Speed buff, so he's moving even faster? I know it sounds like a waste of a Z move for the team over-all, but would it make Sandslash any better of his own accord, or would he be better off with his 4th move as an actual attack?

Ema Skye

Work!
Made an account for Sun/Moon's approach, and I just needed to get in on this thread because Sandslash has always been one of my favorites and I'm desperate to get this thing working somehow.

What do you think of... Z-Hail? Set up your own Slush Rush, plus Z versions of weather moves give you a +1 Speed buff, so he's moving even faster? I know it sounds like a waste of a Z move for the team over-all, but would it make Sandslash any better of his own accord, or would he be better off with his 4th move as an actual attack?
I don't know if Sandslash has the stats to set up manual weather, though the extra speed would make sweeping easier.

I think he's better off with Ninetales setting weather, and if you need a backup, use Vanilluxe (Abomasnow is really bad).

I don't know if Sandslash has the stats to set up manual weather, though the extra speed would make sweeping easier.

I think he's better off with Ninetales setting weather, and if you need a backup, use Vanilluxe (Abomasnow is really bad).
Yeah, I suppose he can't really afford that extra turn. Actually, now that I think about it, I might try to train one up just as a back-up emergency Hail-fighter. Between Slush Rush, Aurora Veil, and more Pokes with Snow Warning, we might be seeing some people attempt Hail teams at first. Having Slush Rush Sandslash as a backup on a non-Hail team would let him use the hail against them by coming in with his chip-proof typing and STAB Iron Head (especially Nintetales).

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
So, when compared to Regular Sandslash, and hail in general, its pretty easy to see what A-Sandslash brings to the table. Between a surprisingly effective stab combo (Ice is amazing, and steel hits pure rock types that can annoy it), combined with the ever fantastic earthquake, it should be able to excel on Full- and Semi- Hail teams, especially considering its fairly acceptable synergy with abomasnow, which resists water and ground for it, while A-Slash covers flying and normal types for it.

On to what I believe will be its strongest set:

Sandslash @ Life Orb / Chople Berry
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Essentially, it can leverage its dual stabs and steel type resistances to set up a SD vs stuff like swellow or scyther, which can't really effectively harm it in return, and can generally muscle through enemy teams when supported with hail. Life orb would be an option as always for the increased power, but Chople is something I feel will also have potential in order to tank random mach punches thrown its way, and continue its sweep, while often OHKOing most fighting types in return, once boosted. It should be a niche, but very usable option in whatever tier Abomasnow ends up in (Aurorus exists, but doesn't have nearly as much synergy, sharing most weaknesses), and should be very effective at breaking many teams. Really, its main niche over Beartic is its resistances to Normal and Flying, which really improve its ability to set up, compared to Beartic's nonexistent resistances.

Ema Skye

Work!
It's worth noting that it's the only pre-bank Slush Rush, so Hail will need to make him work before Beartic comes around.

Between Ninetales-A and Sandslash-A as a pre-bank Hail team, what teammates could you add to beat Scizor and Metagross?

It's worth noting that it's the only pre-bank Slush Rush, so Hail will need to make him work before Beartic comes around.

Between Ninetales-A and Sandslash-A as a pre-bank Hail team, what teammates could you add to beat Scizor and Metagross?
Well another poster pointed out how good Volcarona could be earlier but that wouldn't be till after bank either... looking at the fire types available in Alola there's not a ton of options. Inciniroar or Alolan Marowak I guess? Marowak probably does fine v Scizor but idk about Metagross.

Ema Skye

Work!
Well another poster pointed out how good Volcarona could be earlier but that wouldn't be till after bank either... looking at the fire types available in Alola there's not a ton of options. Inciniroar or Alolan Marowak I guess? Marowak probably does fine v Scizor but idk about Metagross.
252+ Atk Thick Club Alolan Marowak Shadow Bone vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 308-366 (101.9 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The tough part is getting Marowak in. MMeta Bullet Punch + Zen Headbutt + SR damage = minimum of 90% on Marowak so you'll only be able to revenge it.

It also solves the giant Fighting weakness Ninetales and Sandslash have.

Salazzle stands out to me, since it resists both of scizors's stabs and superpower. It also outruns and threatens both variations of Metagross.

Honestly I don't think hail has the tools to commit to a full team in the upper tiers. Dedicated hail will most likely see use in doubles and RU or lower.

252+ Atk Thick Club Alolan Marowak Shadow Bone vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 308-366 (101.9 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The tough part is getting Marowak in. MMeta Bullet Punch + Zen Headbutt + SR damage = minimum of 90% on Marowak so you'll only be able to revenge it.

It also solves the giant Fighting weakness Ninetales and Sandslash have.
Yea that's the thing with Alolan Marowak, really hard to switch in on for allot of mons but also easily killed by many things (though he boasts many resists/immunities he's also slow and not super bulky). You'd need a slow u-turn/volt switch mon that can tank metagrosses hits and bring Marowak in safe.

This might be perfect in doubles with Alolan Ninetales, because with both of them combined, their only common weakness is fire thanks to their coverage typing (instead of both having that terrifying Rock, Fighting, Steel, and Fire weakness), and Sandslash can get coverage for Fire types with rock slide.

Also, since Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash does not live in the sand anymore, shouldn't it be called Snowshrew and Snowslash now? :P

which one is better nature for him? Adamant or Jolly? I'm thinking Jolly just to make him a bit faster + bonus from Hail Slush Rush...

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
I think A-Slash's type (and weakness) can be kind of easily covered by partners (Dragonite/Slowbro/Slowking) and their STAB typing:

Ideas for a Set? Uh...

Sandslash-A @ Expert Belt
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Other options:
- Choice Band
- Leech Life
- Assault Vest
- Icium Z (Ice Z-move)
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Protect

Basically, any coverage. Plus you have 120 defense and a few utility options to play with.

Well, mantine has received a great buff with roost and +20 bst hp and its types resist both fighting and fire.

A mantine with scald, roost, wide guard and hail can be a good partner for sandslash on vgc. Or it can run defog and air slash instead of hail and wide guard in singles.

for vgc:

Mantine:

Scald
Roost
Wide Guard
Hail

Wide guard for the obvious spread moves, hail to set up for sandslash if needed without having a setter with the same weaknesses that A-sandy has (looking at you A-Ninetales).

Meanwhile;

A-Sandy:

Icicle Spear
Iron head
Protect
Aurora Veil/safeguard/coverage move.

Aurora Veil for the same effect of double screens comming of a fast mon (Slush boost)
Safeguard to avoid those unwelcome statuses, but mostly for burns.
Coverage if you feel you need it.

Another possible partner for the future games could be kingler, who also resists fire, does have a decent defense (most fighting moves are physical so you never know) and has ally switch, wide guard and access to hail. But I don't think he would pose a better option than the new and improved Mantine anyway.

Interesting observation, this guy works well with A.Ninetales and Mega Sableye. Sableye has Magic Bounce and Brick Break/Psychic Fangs immunity to keep your veil up and he can switch into fighting type attacks for Sandslash.

Interesting observation, this guy works well with A.Ninetales and Mega Sableye. Sableye has Magic Bounce and Brick Break/Psychic Fangs immunity to keep your veil up and he can switch into fighting type attacks for Sandslash.
Lets not Forget pangoro have Scrapy brick break, and as he just got buFFed with bullet punch so he might see some more use

Lets not Forget pangoro have Scrapy brick break, and as he just got buFFed with bullet punch so he might see some more use
Good point. Still I think it's decent, that's just one mon. Even if he does become popular it's still just one mon.

I wonder. Will (the useless but recoverylike) LeechLife good against things like Slowbro/Slowking and Bruxish (resists both STABs but are weak to Bug-type) or leave 4th slot to something else (eg:Aurora Veil) and spam EarthQuake? (...maybe switch-out, dunno)

I wonder. Will (the useless but recoverylike) LeechLife good against things like Slowbro/Slowking and Bruxish (resists both STABs but are weak to Bug-type) or leave 4th slot to something else (eg:Aurora Veil) and spam EarthQuake? (...maybe switch-out, dunno)
You're completely walled by Steel-types without Earthquake, so Iron Head is probably the move to drop if you want to carry Leech Life. The big threat to carry Leech Life for would be Ludicolo, since it walls the standard Ice/Steel/Ground attacking combo that Sandslash-A looks to favor and is more likely than Slowbro to end up in the same tier as Sandslash-A.

To be completely honest i don't see anything other than those mons who have a STAB leech life using it because bug is such a poor coverage move. And like said, you could use it against slowbro and ludicolo, but slowbro is a physical wall with regenerator, you wont be killing or even denting it with leech life, and ludicollo is not that common.... that and your team probably will deal better with those two anyway.

Edit: Just one question thou, iron head, earthquake, icicle crash, what other move were you thinking so that earthquake would be the fourth slot?

Just one question thou, iron head, earthquake, icicle crash, what other move were you thinking so that earthquake would be the fourth slot?
Aurora Veil / Curse / SwordsDance

(Leech Life would be opted to hit2heal, hence hitting Psychics, however I see now that such strategy puts him on the 4-slot syndrome, as dealing LeechLife after a setting a boost would result to heal more by doing more damage while also needs EQ for coverage, ending up sacrificing one of the STABs needed)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)