Alolan Meowth, Persian Discussion

I think taking more of a supporting/utility role is better than trying to make offensive sets with Technician. It doesn't really have a movepool or stats for that imo. Fur Coat + Parting Shot + 115 base speed is really good, especially since Z-Parting Shot restores HP of your switch-in.

I could see a set such as the following being really useful:

Persian @ Leftovers / Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic

A fast Taunt + Toxic makes it useful against slower teams while a quick Parting Shot is great vs offense. STAB Foul Play helps offset its crappy attacking stats (assuming Foul Play and Parting Shot can both be bred onto it).

Fur Coat makes it surprisingly bulky. The EV spread lets it live a +1 Flare Blitz from Jolly Charizard X

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 232 HP / 24 Def Fur Coat Persian: 279-328 (84.8 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I am definitely testing this little dork's utility on one of my teams. Being able to pass a 100% heal is great even if just a one off...with Stab Foul play, an attack that allows for a safer alternative to u-turn (attack/ s.atk stat lower with a switch is really really nice. Been messing around with Kerfuffle in CAPs and there's a lot of useful utilities to parting shot).

P.s. Quoting Bribery because this set is great. Listen to this person. This is gonna be a standard Alolan Persian set mark my words. Unless nasty plot technician really goes anywhere, but I'm gonna assume nah.

I am definitely testing this little dork's utility on one of my teams. Being able to pass a 100% heal is great even if just a one off...with Stab Foul play, an attack that allows for a safer alternative to u-turn (attack/ s.atk stat lower with a switch is really really nice. Been messing around with Kerfuffle in CAPs and there's a lot of useful utilities to parting shot).

P.s. Quoting Bribery because this set is great. Listen to this person. This is gonna be a standard Alolan Persian set mark my words. Unless nasty plot technician really goes anywhere, but I'm gonna assume nah.
100% agree, even Toxic isn't mandatory if something else is needed, which is nice.

100% agree, even Toxic isn't mandatory if something else is needed, which is nice.
Toxic is pretty much just flavor there. but toxic on anything is a pretty solid idea tbh. The only issue is that last slot doesn't have a whole lot of options? Hypnosis if you really need a sleeper but low accuracy on something with the defenses of a paper bag (fur coat make it defensively a iron plated bag but still) is usually not a great idea.

Charm could be interesting to force switches, but it's still a questionable choice. Snatch could be interesting but most boosts you're gonna snatch aren't gonna be super useful to the set...if you can snatch recovery moves or a sub that would be fricken neat tho. Why is snatch not on more sets? People not have faith in their own ability to predict? Literally everything is gonna try to set up on persian lets be real. Snatch is great. Use snatch.

For a Nasty Plot Technician set; Snarl, Power Gem and Hidden Power Fighting have great coverage. It will miss Fur Coat though.

Alolan Persian seems like one of the greatest utility-mons ever that is not a hazard-setter. Parting Shot is a great move on a switching target since it does not only grant you a free switch to anything but also weakens the target while being able to double as a healing wish that doesn't kill you. All in all, this thing can actually be compared to physically defensive landorus-t. STAB-Foul-Play grants it neat offensive presence against any physical attacker while taunt lets it work against stall and setup, giving it great utility against most physical threads that lack mold breaker while parting shot grants the switch-advantage that so many teams crave and use landorus for. Also, after an encounter the target is not only at -1 attack, but also at -1 special attack and the drops also work for Switch-Ins. And last but not least there's its great speed-tier, putting it ahead of most relevant threads and allowing him to stay healthy by pivoting out faster than the opponent can attack. However, not only does it miss access to stealth rocks, but also to chip damage from u-turn and is limited to a physically bulky pivot while lando-t has a great amount of movesets at its deposal.

I'd like to compare the two of them:
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Persian: 187-222 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 196-232 (51.3 - 60.7%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Those EV-spreads are not optimal I know but they do show just how bulky a-persian is. Plus the ability to go full speed and tie with the likes of Raikou while outspeeding latis is definitely a huge bonus, even if it makes persian less bulky in the end.

- Stealth Rocks vs. Taunt

Stealth Rocks is obviously the more helpful move in general and lando is great at forcing switches, but it more splashable while a fast taunt from a fairly bulky mon is a rather rare sight. It also helps in 1v1-matchups.

- EQ (+coverage) vs. Foul Play

Earthquake is by far the most consistent option, allowing lando to hit many targets for good damage. However, a STAB foul-play is a serious thread against the right targets, as not much wants to be at +2 when facing persian, preventing things like +2-mega-pinsir and +2-mega-scizor from sweeping through teams while lando often struggles against boosted physical threads.

- Intimidate vs. Fur Coat

Intimidate allows Lando to soften up physical attackers, often supporting its other teammates simply by switching in and out again to grant them pseudo-defense-boosts (such as lando-t intimidating megacham so m-scizor can beat it) while persian takes all the bulk for itself. However, as the effects of intimidate wear off once the target switches out, making the right switches (or saccings for that matter) can easily pressure landorus when it doesn't react with U-Turn while persians bulk stays consistently high. For that matter, another difference is that intimidate is unaffected by mold breaker but procs defiant (and competitive) while fur coat is ignored by mold breaker but also by defiant. This gives Persian a great Bisharp-Matchup due to resistance against s-punch, more speed and even non-se-fp doing good damage. Also, Bish at +2 takes even more damage from fp while being unable to 2HKO in return, meaning Persian is one of the few mons who is actually able to stop +2 Bish from rampaging.

- U-Turn vs. Parting Shot

This is basically the thing that is definitely the pro-Persian-side of the comparison. Parting Shot not only grants momentum like U-Turn does, but also takes away a good deal of momentum from the opponent by lowering stats. It also leaves the opponents attack in the negative similar to intimidate while also affecting special attacks and guaranteeing that your opponent is facing your switch-in with lowered stats. It provides tons of setup-opportunities, great switchins for powerful wallbreakers that are often too pressured in highly offensive matchups and just mons that capitalize on pressure in general. Also while it doesn't provide chip damage, parting shot also makes no contact, meaning persian won't be worn down so easily with iron barbs, rough skin and rocky helmet, helping its longevity. The last, but definitely not least thing about parting shot though is the ability to turn into basically a costless healing wish while keeping all of its former effects and utility, being able to turn the tides of any battle for the simple cost of persians item-slot (this thing will be your knock-off-absorber anyways most of the time). You must forgo your Z-Move for this, but to be honest, this won't be that much of a cost since only a few status moves like belly drum, celebrate, splash or weather-moves really use this mechanic.

As a side note, parting shot has a really funny interaction with magic bounce, acting as a pphaze-move (pseudo-pseudo-haze-move) there since it might allow the opponent to choose the target, but forces out the bouncer nonetheless. By providing hazards (not that easy given magic bounce but still possible) and combined with taunt, persian can attempt to break stall by using taunt and parting shot to stack hazard damage on the bouncer and ultimately leading to the situation where a taunted and weakened staller is hit by parting shot and forced to face off a teammate with weak damaging moves, allowing the player to create opportunities to punish stall even further.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)