Alolan Marowak Discussion

It's a shame it doesn't learn Shadow Sneak...

... and why would you want it to survive a strong, super-effective, (likely) STAB move? Not many things can.

Its slow speed means you are most likely going to invest in HP rather than in Speed, and with its double-edged typing, it can abuse its ten resistances/immunities (nine if Rock Head) to find switch-in opportunities, then hit whatever switches in hard... or burn, if you are expecting a Pursuit trap.

Though as a hit-and-run attacker, it will required hazard clearing support.

I thought of Brick Break over EQ (or Bonemerang) because of Dark-types that resist Fire in general, not Rock-types or Steel-types (which are already handled by Flare Blitz if it's not Heatran).
When I mean strong, I meant like 70-80 Atk/SpA or better. Not really that strong, but something with a little kick to it.

I'm sad he's still probably NU/PU but at least it looks like he'll be a real threat there now. How good do you guys think he'll be in doubles where things like trick room and speed swap are more viable?

One of the best Alola forms. Near unique typing and Flare Blitz is going to hit very hard being even more powerful than normal marowak. Shadow Bone is legit to. It still wont be prevalent in the the higher tiers but its pretty good. One of the few ghost type physical attackers.

We have speed swap now for VGC. This could end up being used.
Good point. I could see A-Raichu with Electric Terrain (or some other way to set up E-Terrain) + Speed Swap paired with this thing. A-Marowak gets the base 110 Speed, but A-Raichu still gets its Speed doubled by E-Terrain. Just a bummer they're vulnerable to spread moves :/

I actually think it's new moves and atk alone could make this thing a pretty rad wallbreaker in OU. It will have some big threats to deal with for sure, but it actually can deal with just about anything that tries to switch in with this movepool, and 5 other mons can help it out too. :) This is the Alolan form I'm most excited for tbh. Kind of has been since it was announced. Marowak has been one of my favorite mons that I've been hoping would get some help, I think this was enough to at least make it usable.

Edit: Also, is there an advantage to using bonemerang over eq? I'm not aware of any effects it has or anything that would make me want to use over Eq.

Last edited:
I actually think it's new moves and atk alone could make this thing a pretty rad wallbreaker in OU. It will have some big threats to deal with for sure, but it actually can deal with just about anything that tries to switch in with this movepool, and 5 other mons can help it out too. :) This is the Alolan form I'm most excited for tbh. Kind of has been since it was announced. Marowak has been one of my favorite mons that I've been hoping would get some help, I think this was enough to at least make it usable.
In OU? I want to believe but I have serious doubts. He's slow and not that bulky, yes he has some useful resists/immunites especially if you go lightning rod that give him chances to switch in but I worry that he'd just get killed before he can do anything. Also he's super weak to dark types or anything fast with knock off and pursuit.

Edit: Also, is there an advantage to using bonemerang over eq? I'm not aware of any effects it has or anything that would make me want to use over Eq.
Two reasons:
1) Breaks subs with first attack, hits with the second, obviously no more ground STAB, but EQ lost that too.
2) It's Marowak's signature move no other Pokemon learns,so come oooon ;)

Keep in mind it's slightly less accurate than EQ too, otherwise it's up to preference.

In OU? I want to believe but I have serious doubts. He's slow and not that bulky, yes he has some useful resists/immunites especially if you go lightning rod that give him chances to switch in but I worry that he'd just get killed before he can do anything. Also he's super weak to dark types or anything fast with knock off and pursuit.
From an offensive standpoint this thing is going to be extremely hard to switch into though. For a wallbreaker that's great. It limits the amount of times your checks and counters can come in on it. It can even make some think twice about coming in at all.

Two reasons:
1) Breaks subs with first attack, hits with the second, obviously no more ground STAB, but EQ lost that too.
2) It's Marowak's signature move no other Pokemon learns,so come oooon ;)

Keep in mind it's slightly less accurate than EQ too, otherwise it's up to preference.
Thank you I wasn't aware of that!

From an offensive standpoint this thing is going to be extremely hard to switch into though. For a wallbreaker that's great. It limits the amount of times your checks and counters can come in on it. It can even make some think twice about coming in at all.
What do you think would be some good teammates for him?

It may not be OU but it can still be a solid contender in UU/RU.

It counters banded Entei by being immune to Extreme Speed and Sacred Fire burns + 110 Defense to tank Flare Blitz/SF. Other than that, it gets 10 resistances/immunities so it can check a lot of Pokemon and hit their switch-ins hard.

Things that will appreciate steels being gone mostly, like sharpedo or non-superpower variations of scizor.

Edit: Bugzy also rotom-w would probably be beneficial as well.
That makes sense I was already thinking water types will like him since obviously he destroys grass types and can switch into electric attacks for free if you go lightning rod which I'm thinking is probably his best ability though rock head is tempting.

What do you do about drak types though and his weakness to pursuit and massive weakness to knock off?

That makes sense I was already thinking water types will like him since obviously he destroys grass types and can switch into electric attacks for free if you go lightning rod which I'm thinking is probably his best ability though rock head is tempting.

What do you do about drak types though and his weakness to pursuit and massive weakness to knock off?
Mega Audino seems like a perfect partner in lower tiers. Perfect type synergy, Mega Audino can absorb Knock Off and Ghost moves + Wish heal Marowak, and Marowak can punish Steel and Poison types for Mega Audino.

That makes sense I was already thinking water types will like him since obviously he destroys grass types and can switch into electric attacks for free if you go lightning rod which I'm thinking is probably his best ability though rock head is
i plan on pairing it up with kommo o for dark and water types.

They have priority like you said, which really makes all the difference.
I dont feel like priority is what makes either azu or crawdaunt good. It definitely helps, but I'm pretty sure Adaptability knock off is really what makes him great, and while azu also really benefits from priority, it's bulk and defensive typing are what really help it flourish. Azu, can take a hit and then okho you for your efforts. Don't get me wrong I don't think Marowak will be OU, but I don't think that will necessarily mean it can't work in the tier with a little help.

I dont feel like priority is what makes either azu or crawdaunt good. It definitely helps, but I'm pretty sure Adaptability knock off is really what makes him great, and while azu also really benefits from priority, it's bulk and defensive typing are what really help it flourish. Azu, can take a hit and then okho you for your efforts. Don't get me wrong I don't think Marowak will be OU, but I don't think that will necessarily mean it can't work in the tier with a little help.
I see your point, but I disagree. Marowak has none of the things you mentioned for those other 2, except the monstrous Attack similar to them, and again - regular Marowak already had that. It is hard to switch in for sure, but I don't think that is enough to make up for it's shortcomings. Here's hoping I'm wrong tho, because he's my favorite of the Alolan forms. I just don't see it for him unfortunately.

Said it in another topic but man I really wish it got Burn Up. I know it's a special type move, but the power would make it still hit decently, but more importantly would leave A-Marowak pure ghost typing, ridding some weaknesses after use. Too bad Burn Up wasn't physical though. Thick Club 130 BP STAB and then lose a handful of weaknesses would've been crazy haha.

I think people are undervaluing how much Lightningrod synergizes with Marowak's type. Most notable Electric Pokemon don't have the necessary coverage to deal with Marowak as Ghost/Fire resists or is immune to their coverage.

Mega Manectric, Zapdos and Magnezone are completely walled as they don't have any move that hits Marowak for at least neutral damage and Thundurus is walled unless it's running the Mixed Attacker set. The only Electric types in ORAS OU that can actually beat Marowak are the aforementioned Mixed Thundurus, Rotom-W and Raikou that decide to run Shadow Ball. Looking at the new additions, Tapu Koko has to run Brave Bird or it's walled and Xurkitree is completely walled.

Electric types aren't the only things Marowak can switch into either. Clefable can't Thunder Wave it and even a +1 Moonblast is only a 3HKO assuming rocks aren't up. Chansey is an even easier switch in as it has nothing to hit you with other than Toxic. Passive Steel Types such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Klefki can be switched in on as well as Choice locked Pokemon like Scizor, Jirachi and Keldeo.

So what can Marowak actually accomplish once it has switched in? Well if you play your cards right then hardly anything is safe.

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Shadow Bone vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 302-356 (76.6 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 217-256 (51.6 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 234-276 (76.9 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Shadow Bone also 2HKOs if you want to avoid recoil)
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Mega Charizard X: 264-312 (73.5 - 86.9%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Shadow Bone vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 151-178 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Shadow Bone vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 264-312 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Shadow Bone vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 175-207 (41.9 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 160-190 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Note that the only things that can reliably switch into Marowak are severely crippled by Will-O-Wisp so a set of

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Att/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Shadow Bone
-Bonemerang/Earthquake
-Will-O-Wisp

Can be devastating if played correctly. Don't get me wrong I don't think Marowak is going to be an OU staple or anything like that but I do think that with the correct support it can be very effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)