Alolan Marowak Discussion

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Whats Stomping Tantrum?

Also on a side note, it gets Flame Charge, so in PU (where it'll like go), that fixes an issue regular Marowak possessed. No Shadow Sneak, but I guess its something?
RU will probs be its stomping ground, as its EXTREMELY hard to switch into

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
RU will probs be its stomping ground, as its EXTREMELY hard to switch into
Yeah it's a scary wallbreaker. Hydreigon and Suicune are probably some of the few mons that can actually wall it, and both will probably be firmly planted in UU. Not only can it wallbreak, but throw Flame Charge into the fourth slot and its a legit threat against offensive teams.

Stomping Tantrum is a new Ground move that doubles in power if the last used move fails. It's 75 BP or 80 BP, I think? Confirmed it, it's 75. I wonder if it works on immunities or misses (say you try to wisp a Flash Fire switch in, or it simply misses the target).

Last edited:
I'm curious what ability it will see in Doubles. Flare Blitz plus Rock Head is nice, but Lightning Rod is a great ability to partner with stuff like Gyarados.

Not only can it wallbreak, but throw Flame Charge into the fourth slot and its a legit threat against offensive teams.

Huh, I'd missed that - that is interesting. At +1 Jolly, he outspeeds positive base 90s, which is still too slow for OU but could absolutely destroy the lower tiers.

Shame he didn't get Speed or Shadow Sneak. I guess the slimmer design gave me high hopes. Its still easily one of my favorite Pokemon as it looks amazing but guess I may have to make my team members better equipped to support him.

The one thing I'm struggling with is what ability to choose though.

Lightning Rod will likely give Marowak a niche to reliably switch in and force out Electric types as he will be immune to their main STAB and resists their common coverage (Fire/Ice/Grass).

and with Fire Punch not available since no tutors Flame Charge/Flame Wheel are your only non-Flare Blitz Fire STAB I think. Former two are a bit weak though Flame Charge can prove useful for outspeeding things. Though Flare Blitz may still be better and it'll just have to take the recoil hindering its survivability.

Rock Head makes Flare Blitz have no drawbacks which makes it extremely spammable and dangerous. However it'll lose its Electric Immunity taking away one of its best switch in opportunities.

Can confirm that Cubone evolved into Alolan Marowak at level 39 in my friend's game ( DHR-107 )

*Edit*

We are starting to suspect that it evolves at night.

*Double Edit*

Apparently it evolves via friendship at night. So I guess you guys should be careful not to let it evolve too late or else you'll miss the change to learn ghost stab, etc.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Still disappointingly slow, but Fire + Ghost coverage seems promising. The Pokemon that wreck Marowak will have to be careful of switching into a Thick Club boosted Shadow Bone.

No way people are going to pass up Lightningrod for the other abilities though, even if Rock Head + Flare Blitz is lit. Lightningrod is a full blown immunity, giving it more opportunities to actually switch in fire off its crazy powerful attacks.

Marowak-A @ Thuck Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant/Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Coverage

This can be deadly in TR.

Last edited:
Can confirm that Cubone evolved into Alolan Marowak at level 39 in my friend's game ( DHR-107 )

*Edit*

We are starting to suspect that it evolves at night.

*Double Edit*

Apparently it evolves via friendship at night. So I guess you guys should be careful not to let it evolve too late or else you'll miss the change to learn ghost stab, etc.
Really? I read it was still Level 28, just at Night. (Source)

Marowak-A @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightningrod
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Brick Break
- Will-O-Wisp / Swords Dance / Substitute

Alolan Marowak gets solid coverage in three moves. This means it gets a good degree of freedom on that final slot.

Will-O-Wisp seems like a tempting option as its most notable weaknesses (Rock, Ground, Dark. Also Water if one takes Azumarill into account or Ghost if you think this thing could ever run into Marshadow) are primarily physical. This would make them think twice about switching in. And it overall gives it the chance to burn whatever is in front of it, if Marowak can't get KOed in that turn.

Swords Dance is another option if you want to straight-up wallbreak. You'd naturally have to run max Speed to get the best of it.

Substitute could also be a viable alternative as it happens to resist Pixilate Hyper Voice, so it does not suffer much from getting hurt through it. It can also give it a shot against possible switch-ins like Will-O-Wisp. Being immune to Fighting means it can safely sub against passive Pokemon such as Chansey or Blissey.

Alternatively, if Fire-resisting Dark/Normal-types don't worry you... you could run two of those moves and drop Brick Break.

Lightningrod is by far the best ability in spite of how tempting Rock Head Flare Blitz sounds. Immunities are always great, even better if it means resisting BoltBeam.

Last edited:
Marowak-A @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightningrod
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Brick Break
- Will-O-Wisp / Swords Dance / Substitute

Alolan Marowak gets solid coverage in three moves. This means it gets a good degree of freedom on that final slot.

Will-O-Wisp seems like a tempting option as its most notable weaknesses (Rock, Ground, Dark. Also Water if one takes Azumarill into account or Ghost if you think this thing could ever run into Marshadow) are primarily physical. This would make them think twice about switching in. And it overall gives it the chance to burn whatever is in front of it, if Marowak can't get KOed in that turn.

Swords Dance is another option if you want to straight-up wallbreak. You'd naturally have to run max Speed to get the best of it.

Substitute could also be a viable alternative as it happens to resist Pixilate Hyper Voice, so it does not suffer much from getting hurt through it. It can also give it a shot against possible switch-ins like Will-O-Wisp. Being immune to Fighting means it can safely sub against passive Pokemon such as Chansey or Blissey.

Alternatively, if Fire-resisting Dark/Normal-types don't worry you... you could run two of those moves and drop Brick Break.

Lightningrod is by far the best ability in spite of how tempting Rock Head Flare Blitz sounds. Immunities are always great, even better if it means resisting BoltBeam.
I think EQ over Brick Break is better just because of the increased base power (although Bisharp and Ttar have a better chance of surviving on the switch), but yea, running Wisp in the last slot is probably best because unless you're Trick Room, you're too slow to sweep and Substitute with 0 recovery (Thick Club) isn't ideal.

It's not gonna be good. Seriously they didn't even bother to change even ONE stat and just left it as it was. And no Shadow Sneak? Disgusting.
I don't think it will be "good", but I think there is potential to be low NU/high PU. Rock Head + Flare Blitz is taking some lives.

I don't think it will be "good", but I think there is potential to be low NU/high PU. Rock Head + Flare Blitz is taking some lives.
Yeah, lol. His Speed just sucks, not even Flame Charge can save it. I mean, at least if they changed it's Speed stat with the SpD one + gave him SS I would definitely see potential here.

And it being just a little better than the original (which was in freaking PU) is just insanely depressing.

Marowak is my fav Poke, so I'm excited for this form. I've used Marowak on my team forever, even if he's hard to use sometimes, but based off my current Marowak my thoughts would be this:
- With Thick Club, max Atk EV investment, he hits like a truck, I've never felt that something like Swords Dance or Belly Drum, would be necessary. If he hits; it hurts.
- Old Marowak, being a ground type physical attacker, basically had Lightningrod built in, but never found the electric switch-in super helpful or common. Then again Rock Head wasn't very useful then either, but now is, so maybe Lightningrod will be, but I'm leaning towards Rock Head.
- So I'd look at a set like:

Marowak-A @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Iron Head / Flame Charge / Will-O-Wisp

Flare Blitz is your main attack, Shadow Bone for secondary STAB.

Bonemerang is their since it still hits pretty hard though STAB is lost, still breaks subs, and is still a signature move of Marowak's.

Last slot is pretty up in the air, Iron Head has treated me very well as a surprise move, knocking out everything from Azumaril to Xerneas on the switch. Flame charge is a nice new option to get some speed, if you know Flare Blitz would be over kill. Although you could run a more defensive set where Will-O-Wisp fits better, I think it still works to leave a lasting hindrance if you have no further use for Marowak-A in a match; though with the burn nerf, might not be worth it over other options.

Yeah, lol. His Speed just sucks, not even Flame Charge can save it. I mean, at least if they changed it's Speed stat with the SpD one + gave him SS I would definitely see potential here.

And it being just a little better than the original (which was in freaking PU) is just insanely depressing.
I agree. I LOVE it's design, it is definitely a shame it kind of flopped. But oh well, at least it's somewhat better. We can't complain too much.

Forget flame charge. Stop trying to fix things with bad speed. Being so powerful that the switch-in will get chunked or die is good enough.

This guy's signature move, double stab, and resistances should give him the edge he needs over his normal mediocre form. Not OU but still massively threatening in tiers close to that

Forget flame charge. Stop trying to fix things with bad speed. Being so powerful that the switch-in will get chunked or die is good enough.

This guy's signature move, double stab, and resistances should give him the edge he needs over his normal mediocre form. Not OU but still massively threatening in tiers close to that
I disagree. The STAB is nice, but it's speed is really, really bad, and it doesn't have the defense to live a strong Knock Off or Hydro Pump, because it can't switch in on a ton and won't be outspeeding much after it switches in.

I'm not convinced either ability is better at this point, but Alolan Marowak with Lightningrod does have the rare distinction of resisting BoltBeam. How significant that is, I couldn't tell you.
Boltbeamflame, even. In fact, it joins Rotom-H as being part of a select few number of Pokemon that resist all of Genesect's STAB and those three coverage options.

This thing really does have crazy unique defensive typing, totalling 7 resistances and three immunities (with LR) total. I can see a case for Rock Head Flare Blitz, but Lightning Rod really does seem too good to pass on. For doubles formats especially, LR is why you're going to want to use the thing in the first place since it brings a lot of variety type wise to Lightning Rod Pokemon.

It's a shame it doesn't learn Shadow Sneak...

I disagree. The STAB is nice, but it's speed is really, really bad, and it doesn't have the defense to live a strong Knock Off or Hydro Pump, because it can't switch in on a ton and won't be outspeeding much after it switches in.
... and why would you want it to survive a strong, super-effective, (likely) STAB move? Not many things can.

Its slow speed means you are most likely going to invest in HP rather than in Speed, and with its double-edged typing, it can abuse its ten resistances/immunities (nine if Rock Head) to find switch-in opportunities, then hit whatever switches in hard... or burn, if you are expecting a Pursuit trap.

Though as a hit-and-run attacker, it will required hazard clearing support.

I think EQ over Brick Break is better just because of the increased base power (although Bisharp and Ttar have a better chance of surviving on the switch), but yea, running Wisp in the last slot is probably best because unless you're Trick Room, you're too slow to sweep and Substitute with 0 recovery (Thick Club) isn't ideal.
I thought of Brick Break over EQ (or Bonemerang) because of Dark-types that resist Fire in general, not Rock-types or Steel-types (which are already handled by Flare Blitz if it's not Heatran).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)