LC Aipom

Alphose_Elric said:
Overall, Aipom can perform a lot of roles for your team such as; a good late-game cleaner, an effective anti-lead and,(AC) or a powerful attacker.
The sentence should look like this, Max Carvalho:
Overall, Aipom can perform a lot of roles for your team, such as: being a good late-game cleaner, an effective anti-lead, or a powerful attacker.

Colons are the punctuation used when making a list, and a comma in a series of 3 or more items needs the oxford comma, which Alphose did add. However, Alphose_Elric did miss one in Team Options, "Mienfoo, Archen, and Chinchou." More nitpicks: in Rock-types section of C&C you spelled Dwebble as "Dweeble," and the comma after "Dweeble" is spaced, and in the subsequent Steel-types section, you put "win" and not "wins". :3

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, I did mean to make that a colon. However, personally, I do like the sentence more without "such as." I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########

At a first glance, Aipom doesn't look that good Being a Normal-type Pokemon in a metagame with a lot of threatening Fighting-type Pokemon might make Aipom look underwhelming, but However, a more meticulous look at Aipom shows that it is much better than most people think. Aipom has a very rare Speed tier of occupies the coveted 19 Speed tier, allowing it to outspeed most of the metagame, and It was gifted with a huge bonus in Skill Link + Fury Swipes, allowing it to Skill Link Fury Swipes 2HKOes most neutral threats a good part of the metagame even without Life Orb. Aipom has all coverage it needs, including Additionally, it has a superb movepool, with coverage attacks such as Brick Break and the elemental punches, utility moves such as U-turn and Knock Off, and support options such as It has access to Knock Off so it can both KO Ghost-type Pokemon and support the team. Aipom is a very solid anti-lead with access to a good support movepool including Taunt, Knock Off, (add comma) and even Baton Pass that make it a solid anti-lead. Aipom can also pivot for your team with U-turn. Aipom also has enough bulk with Eviolite to survive strong hits such as offensive Mienfoo's Drain Punch with Eviolite. Overall, Aipom can perform a lot of roles for your team: a good late-game cleaner, an effective anti-lead, or a powerful attacker.
However, Aipom does have its flaws; its Normal typing gives it zero resistances, a sole Ghost immunity, and a nasty Fighting-type weakness that leaves it vulnerable to top threats such as Timburr and Scraggy Aipom's typing is terrible; it doesn't have any resistances bar an immunity to Ghost-type moves. Aipom is also cursed with a weakness to Fighting-type moves. There are a lot of powerful and common threats such as Timburr and Scraggy that easily take care of Aipom. Lack of reliable priority also makes it hard for Aipom to safely revenge kill some Pokemon. However, Aipom shouldn't be underestimated and it is a very solid option.

(Brevity is indeed the soul of wit. Overviews are supposed to be concise, listing out a Pokemon's main pros and cons. There was so much unnecessary fluff in here; remember, the average reader will probably not bother reading between the lines so much.)

Skill Link
########
name: Skill Link
move 1: Fury Swipes
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Brick Break / U-turn
move 4: Taunt / Fake Out / Ice Punch
ability: Skill Link
item: Eviolite / Life Orb
evs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========
Fury Swipes is Aipom's strongest STAB in this set move, as it's able to 2HKO the most part of the metagame. Knock Off is Aipom's best way to hit Misdreavus and Gastly; it also removes Eviolite from walls that switch in so that Aipom can break through them easier with Fury Swipes. Also, it's very important to Knock Off Eviolites from strong walls so Fury Swipes can hit as hard as possible. Brick Break is your best move against (you already used "is the best move / way" earlier) deals heavy damage to Steel- and Rock-types, such as Pawniard. U-turn is usable over Brick Break though (emphasize the fact that there is a choice for move 3) as it allows Aipom to act as a pivot. In the fourth moveslot, Taunt allows Aipom to be an effective lead, preventing hazards from Dwebble; it also prevents any Pokemon from setting up. Fake Out is a solid +3 priority, (add comma) and Fake Out + Fury Swipes does a lot of damage to most threats. Ice Punch is also a good option a good coverage move basically to hit defensive Archen.

Set Details
========

These The EV spread gives Aipom maximum Attack and Speed, with the remaining EVs going in HP for a bit of extra bulk. With a Jolly nature, Aipom hits the fastest 19 Speed tier. Adamant is an option if you don't mind Aipom Speed tying with Misdreavus and Abra and want a bit more power instead. For instance, against Spritzee, using Adamant Aipom with Life Orb, you wouldn't need to Knock Off Spritzee's Eviolite to 2HKO Adamant Life Orb Aipom can 2HKO Spritzee without needing to Knock Off its Eviolite first. Eviolite is the main item on this set because of Aipom's decent bulk, while Life Orb can be used for increasing Aipom's attack's power damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Aipom should spam Knock Off to guarantee Fury Swipes will always do the most damage possible and to support the team. With Eviolite, Aipom can switch in some moves but don't switch in on something entirely crippling. (this is very vague. Either mention what attacks in particular Aipom can sponge or just remove this) With access to both U-turn and Taunt, Aipom it can be used as a part of a VoltTurn combo core. Use Aipom early-game or mid-game so it can do as much damage as possible to the opposing team. Do not switch into Misdreavus unless you are pretty sure it isn't using Will-O-Wisp; Aipom definitely doesn't want to get burned. If your opponent is using Ponyta or Larvesta, exercise care; they are a very solid counters to Aipom as each hit from Fury Swipes has a 30% chance to give Aipom a burn, assuming Ponyta and Larvesta are running Flame Body.

Team Options
========

Spritzee is Aipom's best partner, as it easily KOes Fighting-type Pokemon, can pass Wish, and heal status. Timburr is a good status absorber and KOes some of Aipom's Rock- and Steel-type counters. Fletchling is another good teammate; it is also able to able to deal with most Fighting-type Pokemon and has access to U-turn. Misdreavus is another good partner that can absorb Fighting-type attacks and burn powerful physical attackers so Aipom can switch in easily. Entry hazard setters such as Archen and Drilbur are appreciated as well. Aipom works well with another teammates that can maintain offensive momentum, so Pokemon with access to U-turn or Volt Switch, (comma) such as Mienfoo, Archen, and Chinchou are good partners. Slower U-turn users such as Vullaby are even better, as they can get Aipom in safely. Finally, Shell Smash sweepers need to get Misdreavus out of the way so they won't be stopped in the middle of the sweep that Aipom can clean up late-game. (I assume this is what you meant.)

Other Options
########
With access to a huge movepool, Aipom has a lot of options. A set with Fake Out and Last Resort is funny and powerful but walled by too many Pokemon. Aipom is one of the few Pokemon which that can Baton Pass Nasty Plot, but there are better passers. Double Slap is good if you want a bit more accuracy, but sometimes Double Slap will hit it is considerably (forgot about Skill Link?) weaker than Fury Swipes. Another item Aipom could use is King Rock to have a 41% chance of flinching with Fury Swipes, but it is too luck-based. Gunk Shot is a good option to KO Spritzee. Hone Claws is interesting, but hard to set up. Thunder Wave is a good support option. Aipom learns Seed Bomb so it can KO Tirtouga. Finally, Aipom also learns both Sunny Day and Rain Dance, but there are better weather setters.

**Checks & Counters**
########
**Fighting-types**: Timburr, Scraggy, and Mienfoo are bulky enough to survive hits from Aipom and KO it. Scraggy can set up Dragon Dance, Timburr can set up Bulk Up, and Choice Scarf Mienfoo checks and KOes Aipom.

**Status**: Burn wounds Aipom badly, so it should avoid the likes of Misdreavus and Chinchou Burn inducers such as Chinchou and Misdreavus can cripple Aipom. Also, Aipom fears Flame Body users such as Larvesta and Ponyta because its main STAB, Fury Swipes, is a multi-hit move, so each hit has a 30% chance to burn Aipom. Aipom should beware from Ponyta and Larvesta; hitting them with Fury Swipes is too risky.

**Rock-types**: Onix, Tirtouga, Dweeble, and Archen easily wall most Aipom's attacks and do solid damage to it. Dwebble and Archen are even neutral to Brick Break, so they are very solid Aipom counters.

**Steel-types**: While Aipom will always win against Berry Juice Magnemite, it is checked by Choice Scarf Magnemite checks Aipom. Thunderbolt is a guaranteed 2HKO and Aipom can't OHKO it with any move. Ferroseed is very annoying; if it switches in on Aipom's Fury Swipes, Iron Barbs will do a lot of damage to Aipom.

Overview was really fluff-ridden, but the rest was all right. Also, just merge the two paragraphs in the Overview. Please go through my comments and changes carefully!

GP 2 / 2

Last edited:

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Calm Pokemaster in the OO section, I wrote that Double Slap is sometimes weaker than Fury Swipes because, deppending on the opposing Pokemon Defense stat, the rolls are the same as Fury Swipes. Is that wording right, or should I write something else? Besides that, I am done.

Sorry, I did mean to make that a colon. However, personally, I do like the sentence more without "such as." I suppose it's a matter of opinion.
Yah this is true!

EDIT: Max Carvalho After reading through this analysis again, I think this sentence needs a bit of fixing: "Adamant is an option if you don't mind Aipom Speed tying with Misdreavus and Abra and want a bit more power instead."

I believe it should look a bit more like this: Adamant can be used if Aipom not speed-tying with the 19 Speed Pokemon doesn't bother you, and want to opt for a bit more power. (Or something of the sort.)

Last edited:
Max Carvalho Re-phrase it this way:

Double Slap is good if you want a bit more accuracy, but it is weaker than Fury Swipes.
WIth Skill Link, Fury Swipes has 18*5 = 90 BP. Double Slap has 15*5 = 75 BP. Even with minimum damage roll, won't Fury Swipes be stronger?

I have one doubt, actually. With Adamant, Aipom won't hit 19 Speed, right? So it can't even Speed tie with Abra and Misdreavus, right? If this is right, rephrase the sentence Adam Lambert pointed out this way:

Adamant can be used if you need more power and don't mind Aipom missing out on the 19 Speed tier.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
You don't calculate damage like that. Sure, Fury Swipes has more power, but doing the calc and rounding we have about the same damage. For instance, 196 Atk Aipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 15-20 (71.4 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO while 196 Atk Aipom Double Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 5-15 (23.8 - 71.4%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO. However, without Eviolite, Aipom will do the same damage with both moves (about 15). This was just an example; there are a lot of situations when these moves will do the same damage. This thread explains everything.

DON'T USE DOUBLE SLAP ! You will do 5 damages on 14 + evio targets !

One can think for hours between using adamant for 18 speed but doing 15 damages to 16evio targets, or jolly for 19 speed but 5 damages to 16evio targets, and you want to use double slap which means you won't even do more than 5 damages to usual 14evio targets such as timburr / defensive mienfoo ? having such ideas is a aipom viability murdering crime !

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Thats why I've put it in OO. As I said, after Knocking Off the opposing Eviolite, Double Slap will do the same damage as Fury Swipes. However, most cases Fury Swipes are more reliable; that's why it's in the main set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)