Other Metagames [AG] Happy Outlook-- Peaked #35 at 1821

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

Hello and welcome to my last RMT before Generation VII. It's the team that's made me the most proud in any metagame, simply because it's performed so well, and it just feels like my team.

It's a habit of mine to do this for every tier: find some Pokémon in there that I like, build a loose team around them, and make it to around 1400 before losing consistently and having to make change after change.

For this team, however, I was able to make it this far while only replacing a few moves, and no Pokémon. Of course, there is still room for improvement (that's why I'm here). In this instance, though, it looks like I've made a pretty good team from scratch.

This ties in to the title of my RMT and my advice for players looking into a new tier: you don't need to start out with a sample team or anything. It will work, sure, but making your own team is simply more fun-- after a win, you're proud of the team, and after a loss, you can look at how to improve it, because you know you can improve it.

My advice is bad-- obviously, using sample teams will help you learn the meta more easily, letting you build more effective teams on your own-- so you don't have to follow it. If you take away anything from this, it's that you should go into every new tier with an open mind and a happy outlook.

Thank you.

I was looking through the AG VR, and I noticed a lot of fast, frail Psychic types, such as Mega Mewtwo Y and Deoxys-Attack (who tend not to run max speed). Darkrai was another prominent Pokémon there, and a couple of calcs told me that even an uninvested Life Orb Bug Buzz had a good chance to OHKO. The reason I used Accelgor was because of its access to Encore, allowing it to shut down lots of setup sweepers, such as Calm Mind Arceus formes.

Accelgor, with its bad defenses, is weak to priority users. Since the most pervasive form of priority in AG is Extreme Speed, I decided to add a Giratina-O to switch in; it also served as a counter to Primal Groudon. According to the thread, Clefable made an ideal defensive partner for Giratina, so I placed it in my team as well.

My team was weak to stuff like Aegislash, which could use Gyro Ball and deal lots of damage, and other physical Steel-types. It also had no hazard removal, which was bad for Accelgor. To fix this, I added a supportive Arceus-Steel, making my own set for it because I was too lazy to check the thread, and it worked pretty well.

My Mega slot was free at this point, so lacking a SwagKeys counter, I decided to use Mega Diancie. Its helpful typing resists Extreme Speed, allowing it to beat a Rayquaza that hasn't Mega Evolved yet.

At this point, my team had good balance, but it didn't have the power to beat opponents like Primal Kyogre. To fix this, I added Choice Band Ho-Oh: It can take its share of hits and deal tons of damage in return. Later, I realized that it synergizes very well with Arceus-Steel, the two being weak to only Primal Groudon carrying Rock-type moves.

The Team

Accelgor @ Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 164 HP / 128 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Bug Buzz
-U-Turn
-Final Gambit
-Encore
The goal of this set is to come in on a boosting Pokémon, such as CM Arceus, or a Darkrai that has just used Dark Void (you can switch in on a Dark Pulse) and proceed to attack the opponent or use Encore. U-Turn is to gain momentum and chip damage after using Encore, while Final Gambit helps wear down an opposing Pokémon and should be used quickly against opposing teams that match up well against Accelgor, such as Arceus spam. The HP EVs allow Accelgor to OHKO 4 HP base 100s, such as Primal Groudon, with Final Gambit; the Speed EVs outspeed 252 Spe Deoxys-Attack with a neutral nature. Everything else is invested in SpA to help Accelgor easily defeat foes such as Whimsicott.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell
-Moonblast
This is my GeoXern/Ekiller counter: it takes 40% from Moonblast, and it beats Ekillers not holding a Life Orb, except when it gets critted aka every game. Heal Bell, the last move, has seen lots of use in my battles, but Toxic or Thunder Wave might allow it to beat the things it counters more easily.

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 244 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
-Draco Meteor
-Thunder Wave
-Roar
-Pain Split
This thing has helped me in so many games. Draco Meteor does about 60% minimum to Primal Groudon, and even then it's probably running a defensive spread and can't hit you back. Thunder Wave is great for Primal Kyogre and Fairies that try to switch in. Roar was originally Dragon Tail, but I decided to change it as a countermeasure to Baton Pass. Pain Split helps it check things throughout the game, but I haven't found it very helpful, and I might decide to change it back to Hex.

Arceus @ Iron Plate
Ability: Multitype
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Recover
-Will-O-Wisp
-Defog
-Judgment
A great mixed wall. You just burn everything with Will-O-Wisp and then start getting chip damage off with Judgment. Although it baits in Primal Groudon and Kyogre, this thing has nonetheless been very helpful for my team. Defog helps keep Ho-Oh alive, while Recover helps it come in consistently.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body-->Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Moonblast
-Earth Power
-Protect
-Stealth Rock
My team didn't have a Stealth Rock setter, so I decided to make it Mega Diancie. I don't actually miss Diamond Storm that much, surprisingly, because more often than not its few targets will switch out anyway while I use Stealth Rock. Having rocks on a more offensive mon that can force out so much is great against stall teams. Everything else on the set, of course, is standard.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 8 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Sacred Fire
-Earthquake
-Sleep Talk
Spam: the Pokémon. Sacred Fire is so easy to use on everything, with Brave Bird coming in a close second. Earthquake and Sleep Talk are more situational, but they definitely have their uses. Originally, I ran Thunder Wave in the last slot, but it didn't really... do damage, going against the point of the set. The Speed EVs outspeed Mega Rayquaza that just used V-Create, and the bulk helps it live something that I forgot. Although it doesn't have quite as much Attack as standard CB sets, it still definitely packs a punch.

Threatlist:
Count how many of my Pokémon have Extreme Speed. ...Yeah.
I usually have to paralyze it with Giratina, then use Brave Bird (which doesn't even OHKO from full). My team is in trouble if one of these Pokémon is KO'd.
I actually have nothing to hit this lol
Accelgor @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn
- Encore

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave
- Roar
- Pain Split

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Moonblast

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Judgment

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Anyway, that's my team! I would really appreciate if you rated it, but if you don't, that's OK too. See you in Gen 7!

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey man, don't mind me saying but why use accelgor anyways, I mean in none of your replays it does anything and gives you unnecessary weaknesses. Basically mmy which is the only thing that actually might take some damage from u-turn but it is too rare specially in AG.(darkrai is countered better by sleep talk).
Even if you are using it atleast use spikes or something(or don't even use it). It's commendable that you reached this high with accelgor but basically it's the only thing which is limiting your team. If you are so invested using some bug stab, atleast use gensect or something.
Sorry if I sounded rude, but tbh you have reached high enough maybe because you are a good player, but the team can be made much better.

The Team

Accelgor @ Life Orb
-Bug Buzz
-U-Turn
-Final Gambit
-Encore
The goal of this set is to come in on a boosting Pokémon, such as CM Arceus, or a Darkrai that has just used Dark Void (you can switch in on a Dark Pulse) and proceed to attack the opponent or use Encore. U-Turn is to gain momentum and chip damage after using Encore, while Final Gambit helps wear down an opposing Pokémon and should be used quickly against opposing teams that match up well against Accelgor, such as Arceus spam. The HP EVs allow Accelgor to OHKO 4 HP base 100s, such as Primal Groudon, with Final Gambit; the Speed EVs outspeed 252 Spe Deoxys-Attack with a neutral nature. Everything else is invested in SpA to help Accelgor easily defeat foes such as Whimsicott.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell
-Moonblast
This is my GeoXern/Ekiller counter: it takes 40% from Moonblast, and it beats Ekillers not holding a Life Orb, except when it gets critted aka every game. Heal Bell, the last move, has seen lots of use in my battles, but Toxic or Thunder Wave might allow it to beat the things it counters more easily.

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
-Draco Meteor
-Thunder Wave
-Roar
-Pain Split
This thing has helped me in so many games. Draco Meteor does about 60% minimum to Primal Groudon, and even then it's probably running a defensive spread and can't hit you back. Thunder Wave is great for Primal Kyogre and Fairies that try to switch in. Roar was originally Dragon Tail, but I decided to change it as a countermeasure to Baton Pass. Pain Split helps it check things throughout the game, but I haven't found it very helpful, and I might decide to change it back to Hex.

Arceus @ Iron Plate
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Recover
-Will-O-Wisp
-Defog
-Judgment
A great mixed wall. You just burn everything with Will-O-Wisp and then start getting chip damage off with Judgment. Although it baits in Primal Groudon and Kyogre, this thing has nonetheless been very helpful for my team. Defog helps keep Ho-Oh alive, while Recover helps it come in consistently.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body-->Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Moonblast
-Earth Power
-Protect
-Stealth Rock
My team didn't have a Stealth Rock setter, so I decided to make it Mega Diancie. I don't actually miss Diamond Storm that much, surprisingly, because more often than not its few targets will switch out anyway while I use Stealth Rock. Having rocks on a more offensive mon that can force out so much is great against stall teams. Everything else on the set, of course, is standard.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 8 SpD / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Sacred Fire
-Earthquake
-Sleep Talk
Spam: the Pokémon. Sacred Fire is so easy to use on everything, with Brave Bird coming in a close second. Earthquake and Sleep Talk are more situational, but they definitely have their uses. Originally, I ran Thunder Wave in the last slot, but it didn't really... do damage, going against the point of the set. The Speed EVs outspeed Mega Rayquaza that just used V-Create, and the bulk helps it live something that I forgot. Although it doesn't have quite as much Attack as standard CB sets, it still definitely packs a punch.

Threatlist:
Count how many of my Pokémon have Extreme Speed. ...Yeah.
I usually have to paralyze it with Giratina, then use Brave Bird (which doesn't even OHKO from full). My team is in trouble if one of these Pokémon is KO'd.
I actually have nothing to hit this lol
I was looking through this team, and while it seemed usable enough, there is definitely some optimization to be made.

First off, I'd like to suggest replacing Accelgor with Choice Scarf Genesect. While Sleep Talk+Bug Buzz+U-turn Accelgor is legit, a Choice Scarf Genesect does the same roll, but without the heartbreaking moments where your Bug Buzz falls just short of OHKOing Mewtwo, and it's U-turn is far more difficult to switch in on. You'll have to give up Encore, but that allows you to slot in Sleep Talk to have another Darkrai answer, because you can never have too many. The lack of Final Gambit isn't noticeable because all of the mons you want to click it against can either recover it off or snipe you with priority, while Genesect doesn't care how much speed Deo-A runs.

The next change I'd like to suggest is running max speed on Arceus-Steel. With that,you can potentially wisp boosted LO Ekillers before they KO,as they otherwise sweep your team. The special defense isn't really notable, as you can't wall XerneasPogre anyway +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Arceus-Steel: 368-434 (82.8 - 97.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, while running no speed leaves you open to being shipped and then KOed by Diancie, which sweeps the rest of your team (esp. If you don't choose to run genesect). It also lets you hit MRay before they V-create you, especially band sets.

While the lack of rocks really hurts, I have to say that it seems like a good idea to go back to diamond storm. That neatly solves your issues with Ho-Oh right there, and prevents Mega Gengar from crippling you via Disable. It also allows you to hit Lugia and Blissey, although those are less important. Alternatively, you could ditch protect if you feel bold, but that hurts alot when they have Primal Groudon. If you really need rocks, move them to Arceus and give Giratina Defog over the mediocre Pain Split.

248 HP / 152 Atk / 8 SpD / 100 Spe -> 248 HP / 184 Attack / 52 Spd / 24 Spe on Ho-Oh
With this new spread, you always live a +2 thunder fromGeomancy Xerneas, while hitting somewhat harder. The speed is mostly creep to let you outspeed other base 90's like PDon and POgre, as 16 speed is enough to fulfill your stated goal of outspeeding -1 MRay (329*2/3=219.33). You also mentioned that you had difficulties with POgre because it could live your brave bird; you now have a decent shot of OHKOing them outright 184+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 337-397 (98.8 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Sleep Talk

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Judgment

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 52 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Hope this helped.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was looking through this team, and while it seemed usable enough, there is definitely some optimization to be made.

First off, I'd like to suggest replacing Accelgor with Choice Scarf Genesect. While Sleep Talk+Bug Buzz+U-turn Accelgor is legit, a Choice Scarf Genesect does the same roll, but without the heartbreaking moments where your Bug Buzz falls just short of OHKOing Mewtwo, and it's U-turn is far more difficult to switch in on. You'll have to give up Encore, but that allows you to slot in Sleep Talk to have another Darkrai answer, because you can never have too many. The lack of Final Gambit isn't noticeable because all of the mons you want to click it against can either recover it off or snipe you with priority, while Genesect doesn't care how much speed Deo-A runs.

The next change I'd like to suggest is running max speed on Arceus-Steel. With that,you can potentially wisp boosted LO Ekillers before they KO,as they otherwise sweep your team. The special defense isn't really notable, as you can't wall XerneasPogre anyway +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Arceus-Steel: 368-434 (82.8 - 97.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, while running no speed leaves you open to being shipped and then KOed by Diancie, which sweeps the rest of your team (esp. If you don't choose to run genesect). It also lets you hit MRay before they V-create you, especially band sets.

While the lack of rocks really hurts, I have to say that it seems like a good idea to go back to diamond storm. That neatly solves your issues with Ho-Oh right there, and prevents Mega Gengar from crippling you via Disable. It also allows you to hit Lugia and Blissey, although those are less important. Alternatively, you could ditch protect if you feel bold, but that hurts alot when they have Primal Groudon. If you really need rocks, move them to Arceus and give Giratina Defog over the mediocre Pain Split.

248 HP / 152 Atk / 8 SpD / 100 Spe -> 248 HP / 184 Attack / 52 Spd / 24 Spe on Ho-Oh
With this new spread, you always live a +2 thunder fromGeomancy Xerneas, while hitting somewhat harder. The speed is mostly creep to let you outspeed other base 90's like PDon and POgre, as 16 speed is enough to fulfill your stated goal of outspeeding -1 MRay (329*2/3=219.33). You also mentioned that you had difficulties with POgre because it could live your brave bird; you now have a decent shot of OHKOing them outright 184+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 337-397 (98.8 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Sleep Talk

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Judgment

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 52 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Hope this helped.
Thanks for the rate, darksylvion and Quantum Tesseract . I'll address the points you made separately:
  • Accelgor -> Genesect: When I was laddering, I never really thought of replacing Accelgor lol. Now that it's been brought up, I'd agree that Genesect is more powerful (and as a bonus, it resists Extreme Speed), and although giving up Encore and Final Gambit isn't something I want, I'll give it a try and see if the team does better with it.
  • Max Speed on Arceus-Steel: Hmmm... that's a tough choice to make. Give up my emergency Xerneas check or outspeed Ekiller? I'd say that the latter sounds appealing, especially when "Ekiller" includes Mega Rayquaza, which I really want to Wisp. Besides, now I have Genesect, which forces Xerneas to use a 70% move.
  • Diamond Storm over Stealth Rock: Not sure about this one. True, right now hazards are hard to get up for me due to Diancie's low bulk, but I honestly don't see many situations where I'd use Diamond Storm. It solves my Ho-Oh weakness, but I barely see those on the ladder anyway. Same with Mega Gengar (and even then, you bounce back its Disable).
  • New spread on Ho-Oh: The +2 Thunder benchmark is nice to have for sure. However, pretty much every Primal Kyogre I've seen is outsped by Giratina, meaning they probably run bulk instead. Additionally, most Mega Rayquaza I see run max speed Jolly (361/1.5=240.333, and 100 Speed reaches 241). I might consider 248 HP / 108 Atk / 56 SpD / 100 Spe if anything, although I don't know about that power difference.
Again, thank you both for the rate! I'm glad you took the time to do that.

nice team, tbh.

• Since gen 7 will b released soon, replace protect with Diamond Storm once its released, helping you check Ho-Oh.
  • Accelgor can b replaced with Prankster Whisimcott, since it checks M-Ray and somewhat Primal Kyogre, also doing what Accelgor does, learning encore and having priority in Prankster, at the cost of being unable to check Pdon. Pdon is still checked by Giratina-O, however.
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
nice team, tbh.

• Since gen 7 will b released soon, replace protect with Diamond Storm once its released, helping you check Ho-Oh.
  • Accelgor can b replaced with Prankster Whisimcott, since it checks M-Ray and somewhat Primal Kyogre, also doing what Accelgor does, learning encore and having priority in Prankster, at the cost of being unable to check Pdon. Pdon is still checked by Giratina-O, however.
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn
Just a note of advice: when rating don't recommend upgrades a new generation enables. This is a gen 6 ag team and should be rated as such. Not only that, but it's from back in October. I guess rating it is /ok/ but it's weird to see you bumping these old rmts.

OP: accelgor is trash and unviable sorry :(((( replace it 100%. Not going to get into a full rates rn tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)