Monotype Aerial-a Assault (Mono Flying)

Hey guys, I'm a long time Smogon creeper here who recently started getting active on Showdown!. I've always really liked mono teams, so naturally that's the direction I've gone in with my first few teams. Flying type has always been one of my favorites since it's such a diverse group of Pokemon (e.g. Faulkner) and, well, they're kind of really strong too.
Being new to competitive battling, and the mono meta in general, I was hoping to get some feedback on ways to improve my team. I did my best to minimize the inherent weaknesses of Flying-types through convenient secondary typing, as well as including as much coverage against those weaknesses as possible. With that being said, a lot of these movesets and spreads are pretty standard from the listed OU sets, so I'm hoping you guys can help me tweak them a bit to better suit the counters the mono tier will throw at me. With all of that in mind, let's meet the team:

Zapdostradamus (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog
Zapdos is the newest addition to the team, completing the SkarmDos core. Specially defensive set to complement Skarmory's physically defensive set. Volt Switch provides a good volt turn core with Landorus-T, Toxic/Pressure combo to stall when necessary, Defog to clear the path for my sweepers and break screens, and Roost for longevity.

Tuesdays with Mory (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Defog Whirlwind
- Roost

This is a pretty standard Skarmory set. I went with the specially defensive set because I wanted a more rounded sponge that could come in against a wider range of threats. Defensive set compliments specially defensive Zapdos well. I gave him Iron Head over Brave Bird because steel is super effective against ice and rock, two of the three super effective types against flying. The flinch chance has also proven invaluable when Skarm can outspeed his opponent. Stealth Rock and Whirlwind are for obvious chip damage, and Roost is for longevity.

Lando Therissian (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower Knock Off
- U-turn
This is probably the only set that is pretty much set in stone. I love this Poke, I love this set up, and so long as I avoid ice attacks he is deadly. EdgeQuake for coverage, Knock Off for utility, and U-turn for scouting. He's a deadly revenge killer, and his immunity to electric gives him even more opportunities to switch in if I predict correctly.

Dratorious I.T.E. (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
While this spot was originally held by Zapdos, I wanted to include Dragonite because I value priority very highly. Extreme Speed in conjunction with Landorus-T essentially gives me two options for revenge kills depending on the threat I'm facing. Choice Band boosts his already high attack to absurdity. Outrage hits like a truck, Earthquake is super-effective against my biggest threats, and Fire Punch is for specific threats like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, etc.

Guy Fieridos (Gyarados) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake Bounce
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance
My first few mono teams I tried out were mono water, and after using Gyarados once I went out of my way to put him on other teams. I just love the way he plays and his ability to close games out if you can get a boost or two under your belt. Is water typing and ability also help to neuter some opposing threats for the sake of team support. Waterfall and Bounce for STAB, Stone Edge for coverage, and Dragon Dance to boost when my opponent switches. Lum Berry is included to help keep him healthy, hopefully buying him an extra turn to eliminate a counter before it can inflict a status on him again.

Rizarded (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost
Charizard is my late game clean up crew, and also the main reason why Skarmory has Defog over Whirlwind. This guy's raw destructive force is really pretty silly. I gave him the standard sweeper setup for maximum coverage, with Roost for longevity. Other than that I don't think there's much to say about him.

Overall, I'm happy to say I'm pretty satisfied with this team. However, I do still have some qualms with it.
  1. While I've limited my Flying weaknesses to Ice, Rock, and Electric to just three Pokemon, I've introduced another weakness to Water on three Pokemon. Also, the three that are weak to Ice are all 4x weak to it - I feel like a Mamoswine could just Ice Shard his way through half of my team. The ice weakness has been lessened to an extent, but has given way to a larger rock weakness. Obviously you can't protect yourself against everything, so at this point I'm pretty happy with the defensive structure of the team (but still open to ideas).
  2. I don't really have a definitive lead on this team, so I often find myself not sure how to start games off since, as a newbie, my ability to predict my opponent's opening strategy is limited. I'd feel more comfortable having an opening strategy of my own as opposed to trying to read and react. However, I'm not sure how to included a lead without removing a key piece to the team, both in terms of the role they fill and the type compatibility. Generally I start with Zapdos so I can see what my opponent sends out, then Toxic or Volt Switch to a better counter.
Anyway, thanks for reading guys, I'd really appreciate any feedback or suggestions you've got. From the handful of games I've played, I've really enjoyed this team, but I'm hoping there's still room for it to grow.

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey man, that's a really solid team! Here are a few suggestions that you might like!

Bounce is a really nice move on regular Gyarados and will help you hit Fighting-types such as Breloom and Keldeo for super effective damage, as well as Grass-types which otherwise check you pretty well. So I recommend Bounce > Earthquake because your team already deals well with Pokemon Earthquake would hit, while the Rock-type coverage could be nice against opposing Flying teams.
There's nothing relevant outside of Jolly Breloom that Jolly Dragonite outspeeds, so I recommend running Adamant > Jolly for extra power.

Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Drag Queen (Dragonite) (F) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Hope I helped, good luck with the team!

Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance

Drag Queen (Dragonite) (F) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
Hey, thanks for the set suggestions 8) appreciate it! As far as bounce is concerned, do I need to take anything into account with it's 2 turn execution? I feel like it's predictability might ultimately hinder me, but I definitely see what you mean about better overall coverage and will be trying it out moving forward.

I'm also really glad you mentioned the Dragonite nature, I kind of just made all my attackers +Spe natured for fear of being outsped in any scenario, but that feedback is spot on. Thanks a bunch man!

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey, thanks for the set suggestions 8) appreciate it! As far as bounce is concerned, do I need to take anything into account with it's 2 turn execution? I feel like it's predictability might ultimately hinder me, but I definitely see what you mean about better overall coverage and will be trying it out moving forward.

I'm also really glad you mentioned the Dragonite nature, I kind of just made all my attackers +Spe natured for fear of being outsped in any scenario, but that feedback is spot on. Thanks a bunch man!
Once you've set up, there are only a few Pokemon that resist Bounce and can take a Waterfall afterwards, such as Rotom and Ferrothorn. So don't worry about it.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team couple things you could do to enhance it
  • >
    Zapdos is a staple on flying teams and is not worth losing. So I would recommend using Specially Defensive Zapdos over Gliscor. It also a very reliable defoger being more reliable than Skarmory this can also give Skarmory the option to use Whirlwind if it wants to as well.. This change also takes away from your Ice weakness because the original team is very weak to Thundrus and Mega Manectric. Zapdos also has Toxic like Gliscor and reliable recovery is Roost. This change can also give you a Volt Turn core if Volt Switch is given. Zapdos also takes away a major water weakness that the team has giving you a check to Manaphy Keldeo and Lanturn. It also like Gliscor has Toxic which can Poison certain threats and being able to stall out moves thanks to pressure getting rid of 2 PP instead of 1 PP. Zapdos also takes on. Zapdos also adds the paralysis status to the team provided Discharge chosen over Volt Switch which allows Zapdos to paralyze certain set up sweeprs and Choice Scarfers that threaten your team. The spread I recommend using is EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe , This spread allows you to outspeed adamant base 70 Pokemon most notably Bisharp while maintaining majority of Zapdos' special bulk this is used over EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe since Heat Wave is not present to check Breelom. But the reason why this option is tempting is because it outspeeds Volcanion a very big threat to your team especially with Choice Specs set. Both EV spread work with your team just depends on what you want something to outspeed Timid Volcanion or something with a bit more Special bulk that outspeed more common adamant Bisharp.
  • Specially Defensive Skarmory is kind of underwhelming because of the insane amount of strong physical set up sweepers. For this I would recommend Phyiscal Defensive Skarmory over Spedef Skarmory. Physically Defensive Skarmory allows you to take on Mamoswine and Weavile a lot easier. Without Defense investment Skarmory often fails to walls these Pokemon especially if they are choice banded but with this change Skarmory can wall them regardless. With Zapdos being added and being a very reliable Defogger. I highly suggest Whirlwind>Defog this allows you to phase out setup sweepers as well as rack up Stealth Rock damage on Stealth Rock weak types. Although this change does leave you weak to Mega Diancie with Hidden Power Fire you have Landorus-Therian being a fantastic Mega Dinacie check. On top of all of it gives you better answer to Terrakion. The new Defensive Core shares some of same problems as old core of being very weak to Ice Punch Mega Medicham, Life Orbed Kyurem-Black, and Mega Charizard-Y. Although there is no way to change the team to directly "counter" these I feel like these Pokemon are checkable through Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian.
  • This is a small change but on Landorus-Therian I feel like Superpower is not that useful even against normal teams. I recommend Knock Off>Superpower. Knock Off has the utility of removing items most notable ones being Leftovers and Eviolite on defensive Pokemon. This also compensates for lose of Gliscor and Knock off utility it brought to the table. With this change Landorus-Therian can help support Gyarados it's sweeping endeavors and Mega Charizard-Y in getting certain KOs.
Hope I helped and Good Luck!!!!
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe or 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge/ Volt Switch
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Last edited:
Cool team couple things you could do to enhance it
  • >
    Zapdos is a staple on flying teams and is not worth losing. So I would recommend using Specially Defensive Zapdos over Gliscor. It also a very reliable defoger being more reliable than Skarmory this can also give Skarmory the option to use Whirlwind if it wants to as well.. This change also takes away from your Ice weakness because the original team is very weak to Thundrus and Mega Manectric. Zapdos also has Toxic like Gliscor and reliable recovery is Roost. This change can also give you a Volt Turn core if Volt Switch is given. Zapdos also takes away a major water weakness that the team has giving you a check to Manaphy Keldeo and Lanturn. It also like Gliscor has Toxic which can Poison certain threats and being able to stall out moves thanks to pressure getting rid of 2 PP instead of 1 PP. Zapdos also takes on. Zapdos also adds the paralysis status to the team provided Discharge chosen over Volt Switch which allows Zapdos to paralyze certain set up sweeprs and Choice Scarfers that threaten your team. The spread I recommend using is EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe , This spread allows you to outspeed adamant base 70 Pokemon most notably Bisharp while maintaining majority of Zapdos' special bulk this is used over EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe since Heat Wave is not present to check Breelom. But the reason why this option is tempting is because it outspeeds Volcanion a very big threat to your team especially with Choice Specs set. Both EV spread work with your team just depends on what you want something to outspeed Timid Volcanion or something with a bit more Special bulk that outspeed more common adamant Bisharp.
  • Specially Defensive Skarmory is kind of underwhelming because of the insane amount of strong physical set up sweepers. For this I would recommend Phyiscal Defensive Skarmory over Spedef Skarmory. Physically Defensive Skarmory allows you to take on Mamoswine and Weavile a lot easier. Without Defense investment Skarmory often fails to walls these Pokemon especially if they are choice banded but with this change Skarmory can wall them regardless. With Zapdos being added and being a very reliable Defogger. I highly suggest Whirlwind>Defog this allows you to phase out setup sweepers as well as rack up Stealth Rock damage on Stealth Rock weak types. Although this change does leave you weak to Mega Diancie with Hidden Power Fire you have Landorus-Therian being a fantastic Mega Dinacie check. On top of all of it gives you better answer to Terrakion. The new Defensive Core shares some of same problems as old core of being very weak to Ice Punch Mega Medicham, Life Orbed Kyurem-Black, and Mega Charizard-Y. Although there is no way to change the team to directly "counter" these I feel like these Pokemon are checkable through Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian.
  • This is a small change but on Landorus-Therian I feel like Superpower is not that useful even against normal teams. I recommend Knock Off>Superpower. Knock Off has the utility of removing items most notable ones being Leftovers and Eviolite on defensive Pokemon. This also compensates for lose of Gliscor and Knock off utility it brought to the table. With this change Landorus-Therian can help support Gyarados it's sweeping endeavors and Mega Charizard-Y in getting certain KOs.
Hope I helped and Good Luck!!!!
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe or 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge/ Volt Switch
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
Hey, thanks for taking the time to type all that out! I definitely like the knock off addition to Landorus as the EdgeQuake combo gives him most of the coverage I need. I ran the SkarDos core on an earlier iteration of a flying team I tried out, but I felt like it left something to be desired (granted, I might just be using it wrong or not to its full potential). Then again, Gliscor leaves some to be desired as well lol.

I feel like these changes increase the skill cap for the team which, to be honest, is something that frightens me, but I will definitely have to give this a go. The team I ran the SkarDos core with didn't have Landy so I wasn't able to protect Skarmory from electric attacks as well as this team could, so I can definitely seeing it having better results. Thanks again!

Edit: After a couple games worth of testing, the Zapdos set is fitting in very nicely (running volt switch with the 1st ev spread). Definitely feel like my team is stronger for the adjustments :D will be updating the op when I get a chance tomorrow, just too damn tired to do it tonight haha

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)