SM PU Abomasnow doesn't need a mega to win

So I'm really sad that PU RMT's are posted so few and far between. The Pallosand ban way back when basically made me scrap every team I had lol, so I thought it was high time I get to work on building another team. So this team started off really weird, I just got super excited on using this idea of using alohan golem to trap steels and then clicking buttons with abomasnow. But then I remembered that Abomasnow literally destroys any steel type in the tier regardless. Even ferroseed hates switching into blizz+hail. It's kind of a shame, because I made this super tech Golem set with Z focus punch to negate shuca Aggron, and I custom made the EVs to OHKO with my zmove but had enough HP to switch into both banded head smash and specs pyroar. I stand by the opinion that Golem has potential to be good, but the value of Golem is directly proportional to the quality of steel types in the tier, and in PU trapping ferroseed and Aggron might not really be worth it. Oh well, anyways, the team has been revamped into the finished product you have before you, sorry for the rant.

Team: https://pokepast.es/18ef3e00692fbd04

1527274026382.png

"It took them a while to thaw, it's going to take a while to UN-thaw" - George W. Bush after he froze some Doofus with Blizzard.

Pres. Bush (Abomasnow) @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Substitute

You'll never catch me on the ladder running anything BUT sub Abomasnow. I personally feel like it's the best set for it anyways, since Abomasnow has such ridiculous power you can regularly force kills and force sacs. And if you sub on a sac then you're doing ay-okay. The amount of times I've subbed on some jank shuckle lead and then proceeded to get 2 free kills vs webs is crazy. Also being able to reset weather is super nice vs rain. I hate running -def nature because I just hate having to take a pursuit on my weak defensive side, but the extra special defense is much better for opposing water types like gastrodon and ludicolo. The speed is for max speed Aggron. It means I'm slower than Aurorus so realistically I should change it to max speed but the extra attack EVs helps in checking Lilligent better. Anyways ice shard is an amazing move, right alongside mach punch as one of the best forms of priority in the tier. Blizzard and giga drain are self explanatory, and Sub in a tier where Gastrodon and Lanturn are rampant is a godsend, and in general it just eases up predictions. I kind of want to try leftovers or even like never-melt-ice, but I'm just worried that I'm really going to notice the damage drop off, since I already have enough troubles versus fat. I've also been considering wood hammer over sub because I really am pretty weak to calm mind sweepers, particularly spiritomb who is immune to my only way of hitting it on the physical side.

1527273986807.png

Kit Fisto (Hitmonchan) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 244 HP / 140 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

I hate Hitmonchan. Like I absolutely despise it. So I'll talk about it second just to get this terrible pokemon out of the way. Back when I was using the Golem idea, I was running Silvally water. So when I added gastrodon, I needed to get rid of silvally and find a new way to remove hazards. So I guess now I can deny ferroseed and lycanrock and aggron hazards which is kind of cool. Like I really hate Ferroseed. But imagine being a rapid spinner in a tier RAN by Mesprit. But Mesprit basically has to run colbur because Skuntank is amazing, so I guess with hail and just switching into hitmonchan Mesprit is "easy" enough to wear down. Ice punch is fairly standard because it hits spinblockers like Gourgheist, Golurk and Oricorio for big boy damage. But yeah as it stands this is my Hitmonchan set that loses to 2 of the best hazard setters in the tier (Mesprit and Clefairy).

1527274008315.png

Skill Not Included (Clefairy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast/Seismic Toss

Clefairy is kind of a glue for the team and blanket checks a lot of annoying things that I might be threatened by otherwise. In particular, the team appreciates Clefairy in the Swanna or Pyroar matchup, and sometimes even in the Aurorus or Abomasnow match up. It's also pretty nice against fighting types like opposing hitmonchan since my own mesprit is fairly easy to wear down, and it can discourage Primeape from spamming close combat. This team absolutely hates Sableye and Spiritomb, so that's what makes me more inclined to run moonblast, but it overall leaves me weaker to some of the stronger special attackers in the tier as oftentimes I feel like they can just stay in and force out a ton of softboiled's. It's also just super nice to have a pivot into status since this team is really pretty annoyed by status in general. I also really wanted a wish passer to support Abomasnow, Mesprit and Hitmonchan primarily. Although I've found having wish also lets me play a little more aggressively with my Gastrodon in the Aggron matchup, since I no longer need to be at 100% all the time to check it if I just wish into it. Also I swear to god, yall better not be out here saying softboiled+wish is bad. BOI softboiled+wish is literally so much better than wish+protect. I'll admit... just softboiled is better than JUST wish+protect, and if the argument is that the set would be better as softboiled, stealth rocks, moonblast, thunder wave, then I can respect that. But there is no universe where I'm going to change wish+softboiled into wish+protect. Oh also for reference, the speed is just forspiritomb. I don't get 2hkod by anything that I would wall otherwise with 8 less hp evs, and outspeeding spiritomb could be pretty nice in some games.

1527273959406.png

Baby Latios (Mesprit) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish/Trick
- Dazzling Gleam

Next on the team we have defog-less, ORAS Latias. Mesprit has always been something I've loved using. It's so versatile and just offers so much to a team. It's faster than Carracosta after a shell smash which is pretty nice, but I'll admit being slower than Lilligant after a Quiver dance isn't great. But I've certainly got outs for Lilligent, primarily with all the priority plus all the residual damage through hazards and hail. It's a pretty nice mon to have against Hitmonchan and Gurdurr, and the speed control in general is always great to have. Dazzling gleam is there over ice beam for Sableye and Skuntank (for neutral), I'ver personally found myself liking psychic over psyshock in the majority of my games. U-turn is self explanatory on a scarf set (or any set really) and you'll never catch me on the ladder using a Mesprit set without healing wish. Healing wish is just such a fantastic tool in less offensive teams like this one. If I'm being honest, trick is realistically just a purely better option to patch up my issues with opposing bulk/bulky setup sweepers, so maybe one day I'll cave in and run that instead. I'm just a major fan of healing wish.

1527274709578.png

West Side Represent (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

I'm using the wrong sprite in this RMT (compared to the nickname) because this was the first one I found and I didn't want to keep looking around for it. Anyways, one of the main reasons I swapped from Silvally+Golem to Gastrodon+Hitmon was because I had a lot of issues with rock types. Aggron and Lycanrock specifically. Lycanrock at plus 2 just won the game. So Gastrodon mitigates that problem, and now I have a 100% switch into any type of Aggron set. I was also pretty annoyed by Skuntank, so having a solid Skuntank answer is always a good thing. Between Gastrodon+Clefairy, I can keep annoying things like Pyroar and Primeape in check, as they can't really lock themselves into a move to beat my team. Gastrodon is also generally my best defensive answer to Weezing, since I don't always want to switch in Abomasnow/Pyroar or even Mesprit into sludge bombs. It's worth noting that while weezing doesn't pose much of a threat on its own, this team is terrible against toxic spikes, and that makes Weezing incredibly difficult to deal with. It goes without saying but I guess I'll mention, it accomplished Silvally water's original goes on the team in checking broken water types (kingler Carracosta) from getting out of hand. It sucks because I'm a firm believer that Gastrodon will rise from usage one of these days, so it sucks to make a team that will likely get outdated fairly soon, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

1527275224548.png

Belly Drum Mimikyu Counter (Pyroar) @ Firium Z
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I was originally running specs, but I found myself so annoyed by opposing fat that I switched it up to taunt+Z. It can accomplish about the same thing as specs as long as you use your Z move perfectly, but now it can actually beat stuff like Audino or Clefairy, and can switch moves versus Gastrodon either switching in or switching out. It's also a pretty fast boi which is much appreciated, and forms a really nice offensive core with Abomasnow. Oh also you can lead off versus Mesprit and taunt the rocks, which is hella nice. This team is actually super woke because it's preparing for next gen when Mimickyu learns belly drum and drops into PU. Although when that happens I'll drop hp grass for dank pulse and just flinch it a couple times.

Anyways that's the team. Only got a few replays here sorry ;-;

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-752830798
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-752807557
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-752811524

Annoyed by:
1527278435995.png
1527278463274.png
1527278501392.png
1527278545224.png
1527280986930.png
1527278578605.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)