Walrus A very Gwenty walrus

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In 11th place with 7 points, Lord Gaius with So Far Away by Avenged Sevenfold

feel like this should score higher than this? This is possibly the closest song yet to evoking the sort of mood I go for but all I can really see from this is the specific areas where if it made a slight tweak here or a slight tweak there it would be exactly what it should be. I think 7 is fair for a disappointment but I may have to revisit this.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In 10th place with 7.1 points, SketchUp with Blue Crystal Fire by Robbie Basho

This is some pretty good guitar work but the vocals are kind of off from what I tend to look for in the moods I like to listen to. It's a pretty strong entry overall but doesn't have an IT factor.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

In 9th place with 7.2 points, Knights of Cydonia with St James Infirmary by Louis Armstrong

I get the mood this song is trying to create and for that it does a good job. Doesn't quite have the capacity to pull any emotion from me unfortunately. Turns out I need strong music and soulful vocals in conjunction to pull on my heartstrings. Still a good song.

Texas Cloverleaf

In actual 12th place, shubaka17 with Charlie Boy by the Lumineers

I think the messaging in this one kind of misses me a bit, being canadian and not having the american military culture as part of my background. This song does a farily decent job of hitting the places I go to with my melancholy but unfortunately misses the moods pretty much entirely and ends up feeling a bit boring and repetitive by the end. A bit frustrating, it's not too far off from something I'd consider a really good submit, ends up being close but no cigar.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 7th place with 7.5 points, LightWolf with Voidlight by Thomas Ferkol

This is some very nice mood music. Unfortunately I don't really get melancholy from it, moreso wistfulness. Not far off, really. It's a very listenable piece and the percussion supplement really helps here. Maybe not the best submission for this category but I'm glad you did submit it nonetheless.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 1st place with 9.5 points, earning 3 bonus points, Jjayyfeather with If I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars

Finally. The last submission here is the one that saves the category. I didn't know necessarily how to put it into words at the outset but this is what I need for melancholy. Powerful, soulful vocals with equally powerful mood setting instrumentals and, critically, introspective lyrics about either love lost or soul searching. This is the only song submitted that I can truly get lost in and actually feel things the whole way through. I was skeptical at first but the first chords pulled me right in. Well done Jayy.

Texas Cloverleaf

And overall scoring after cat 3

Some missteps at the top and some strong performances from the middle have made this anyone's game, everyone from Blazade to jayy is in striking distance of 1st with one song and no one is truly out of it at this stage of the game!

Need song submissions for category 4: summer nights, from the following: JJayyFeather Granny Pie Steven Snype ItsYaBoi1337 Lord Gaius and LightWolf

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

Scoring for Cats 1 to 3 of late-submittor Martin

Cat 1:
Main Theme - Ajin: Demi-human - 7.4

Dig the first 45 seconds of the build to this, runs on a bit though. Strong beat and good rhythm guitars. My problem here is that it's a good song that grabs the attention but doesn't ever quite break out into something that really "rocks", never quite gets going in that direction which limits it as far as this category is concerned.
Cat 2:
Pierce the Veil - Bulls in the Bronx - 7.4

Good instrumentals, vocals aren't my type but are passable. Funny enough I actually like their growls wayyy better than their regular vocals. The guitar riffs are solid though, and it's got good tempo so this is decent overall.
Cat 3:

Yesterday - The Beatles - 6.6

Nice messaging and a good sound, I don't quite feel the emotion coming from this song or evoked in me. Pace wise is seems a little too up-tempo for what it's conveying.

Cat 4: Duets reveal currently scheduled for Saturday afternoon!

Attachments

Texas Cloverleaf

In 20th place, with 3.1 points, KnightsOfCydonia with There is Beauty in the Bellow of the Blast by D'oyly Carte Opera Company

Uh. Right then. Both vocalists uh, kinda suck. There's nothing interesting going on musically either. So uh, yeah. Sorry but this was kind of a waste of two minutes of my life.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 19th place with 4.5 points, shubaka17 with Cmon by Panic! at the Disco and Fun.

Fun story, I fucking hate Fun. Can't stand any of their music, hate the vocalist with a burning passion. P!atd I'm cool with but I'm familiar with their faster harder stuff and unfortunately this slower pace doesn't really do it for me. That being said when it picks up and you can pick up the high notes P!atds lead singer is known for it gets much more listenable. Mostly I just end up disappointed that you sent me something Fueled by Ramen that wasn't Paramore. This just can't really distinguish itself from the style of any other Fun. song I've heard. Blech.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 18th place with 4.8 points, jjayfeather with Almost is Never Enough by Ariana Grande and Nathan Sykes

This feels like it should work but it doesn't; Grande's voice clashes with the piano, the snapping doesn't fit with the tempo. The tempo itself feels both too fast and too slow, like it couldn't decide on an identity. Even when Sykes comes in he just doesn't match anything else in the song. It's like a mishmash of song components taken from other songs and smashed together and sometimes that works but not this time. On the plus side Grande can murder the shit out of high notes and that salvages a lot of pretty much any song.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 16th place with 5.5 points, Aura Guardian with Watlz for Eva and Che by Madonna

It's really hard when this song jumps immediately into whatever they're singing about with no build or context, really drags you out of any immersion. The male vocalist chewing scenery like he's fucking Pacino doesn't help either. Madonna is good though. I just can't seem to really get into this at all.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 14th place with 6.1 points, VonFiedler with Damn It, Janet, by the Rocky Horror Picture Show

Why does the Janet response have to be so annoying :/. And Janet's voice for that matter. Anyway I like the music itself and the male vocalist and this is kinda entertaining so it's aight overall.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 13th place with 6.5 points, Blazade with The Chevalier by Serenity ft. Ailyn

Didn't really get much from this that I haven't gotten from any number of other songs in the genre. Instrumentals are nice but generic. Vocals are less nice and still generic. Nothing really especially interesting in the duet stylings. Kinda meh.

Texas Cloverleaf

In 12th place with 6.6 points, Asek with Good Times by Jimmy Barnes and INXS

Vocalists are good, rhythm music is mind-numbingly generic. Good thing the vocalists are featured on the song! Not much to distinguish this from your average 80s rock song though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)