Research A Trainer's Guide to Poké-Watching (A.K.A.: A Guide to Monsters and Where to Find Them)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, can we talk about the relative reclusiveness of Dunsparce and Chimecho family?

Dunsparce, a rather unique Pokemon but overall not that special in battle. It doesn't evolve, has low stats, and it's only notable gimmick is that it has Serene Grace and Heabutt/Body Slam. While it waits for a Mega Evolution as of right now you won't see it on anyone's team. Yet GF think it's something special as you need to put some work to get it no matter what generation you're playing:

Johto: Only available in the Dark Cave. But not just that, normally its just on the Violet City side and has a 1% encounter rate. Even when it swarms its only up to 40%. HGSS did throw a bone by having it be 80% via Rock Smashing.
Kanto: In FRLG it's on one of the Sevii Islands (Three Isle) but you can't get it till post game. Also you have to know that dead end entrance on Three Isle Port will eventually extend into an actual path that will lead to a secluded piece of land with a small patch of grass that has a 100% Dunspace capture rate.
Sinnoh: They're a swarming Pokemon on Route 208.
Unova: Originally a 5% encounter on Route 12 (post game) in BW; in BW2 they became a possible encounter for many routes rustling grass (though a rare one). You can also get one with its Hidden Ability (but why I don't know) from a couple of Hidden Grottos but once again they're rare.
Kalos: Rare encounters on the routes attached to Santalune City. Oh, and Friend Safari but, yeah, unless you really want one with Rattled focus on getting one near Santalune.

I guess its a reference to Dunsparce not only being based on a rarely seen cryptid, the Tsuchinoko, but also that when spotted it quickly digs away (even though it can't run away when you battle it, thank Arceus). However there are plenty of other Pokemon based on rarely seen cryptids yet they don't have such low encounter rates or even when they do they usually are better at battling in some way.

Chimecho is similar to Dunsparce except it really has no redeeming qualities. It wants to be a support Pokemon but just doesn't have the stats for it. It's best known for being difficult to capture and one of James Pokemon in the anime. But:

Hoenn: Rare encounter on top of My. Pyre.
Sinnoh: Rare encounter in Sendoff Springs (DP), Turnback Cave (Platinum), and Mt. Coronet (5th floor and Summit). Chingling can be found in some additional places but is still a rare encounter and its a evolution by Friendship during the night.
Johto: Aside from the HGSS Safari Zone, it's "easier" to use Sinnoh Sounds for a rare encounter on many Routes (so post game).
Unova: Rare encounter in Abundant Shrine (and only in BW, it nor Chingling is found in BW2). And to get Chingling you need to breed but it needs to be holding a Pure Incense.
Kalos: Evolve Chingling who's a rare encounter on Route 211/Reflection Cave.

I don't know why it's so rare, its just based on wind chimes/bells. Well specifically ones for Shinto Shrines which I guess maybe are rarer?

Comparing the two, it's interesting how Dunspace is usually low to the ground and/or in a dark place while the Chimecho family is up high and/or a spiritual place. They're sort of opposites of each other in a way in terms of their reclusiveness.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Why is Ponyta on Route 215 with CONSTANT RAIN in Sinnoh?
Only in DP, but that's a good question. Here's a better one: why can you find Geodude, who are 4x weak to Water, on that same route?
Look, what better way to train yourself than by training in the very thing you're weak against? :P

I thinks its just a result of its distribution. The upper middle sector of Sinnoh (specifically the semi circle made up of Route 206, 211, 210, 215, and 214) just seems to be their designated territory. So it could just be the Ponyta on Route 215 are just traveling between Route 214 and 210.

"Why does this territory include Route 214 then?" Well I guess the designers thought of that as Platinum cut their territory so that they now only inhabit Route 206, 207, and 210 (though oddly not 211, guess they migrate fast, especially when there's a river to cross over).

I have a theory.

Every region only has 1 Dragon-type evolution family since dragons are highly territorial. Since Dragon is super-effective on dragon, territorial conflicts may lead to the extinction of the weaker species. Obviously, Pokemon whose final evolutions are dragon types are not really affected by this.

Druddigon is an outlier since it shows up in pretty much every end-game cave. Not sure why it coexists peacefully with other dragons. Maybe because it has no evolutionary line so it is not so vulnerable in its juvenile years.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I have a theory.

Every region only has 1 Dragon-type evolution family since dragons are highly territorial. Since Dragon is super-effective on dragon, territorial conflicts may lead to the extinction of the weaker species. Obviously, Pokemon whose final evolutions are dragon types are not really affected by this.

Druddigon is an outlier since it shows up in pretty much every end-game cave. Not sure why it coexists peacefully with other dragons. Maybe because it has no evolutionary line so it is not so vulnerable in its juvenile years.
Some problems with this theory:

Assuming you mean Pokemon who are Dragon throughout their evolution, Gen V had 3 dragon families (Axew family, Dieno family, and Druddigon) and Gen VI has 2 (Goomy and Noibat family. Not counting Tyrunt family since its a Fossil). And still, even if their final forms are only dragons they're still Dragon-types thus territorial so that bumps Gen III to 3 (Swablu, Trapinch, and Bagon family) and VI to 3 (adds the Skrelp family).

But each of those are found in different parts of the region.

The final evolutions are almost never found in the wild. Perhaps they are only obtainable in captivity like ligers?

^I rather think they reside in the inaccessible parts of the map. The regions are quite huge, after all, and only tiny parts of them are covered by the footpaths we use to get around.
This. We can even take the anime and manga and cross canons a bit in that many wild Pokemon can be found that cannot be seen normally... And almost ALL of these encounters are either A) In an anime or manga exclusive location, B) in a known or shown inaccessible location in the games, or C) are stated to have originated from one such location (Wild Salamence in RSE chapter of manga).

I feel this is the one time cross-canon can actually strengthen an argument for this.

^I rather think they reside in the inaccessible parts of the map. The regions are quite huge, after all, and only tiny parts of them are covered by the footpaths we use to get around.
I would think they are there but are really rare and keep to themselves most of the time. Proof is, you can find wild Dragonite in Unova and wild Hydreigon in Kalos, if I remember correctly.

Now that I think about it, anyone has any theories about Hidden Grottoes? As in why they are distributed as such and only appears in Unova? or why Pokemon found there usually have a different ability? Plus, they have non-standard gender distribution rates.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Now that I think about it, anyone has any theories about Hidden Grottoes? As in why they are distributed as such and only appears in Unova? or why Pokemon found there usually have a different ability? Plus, they have non-standard gender distribution rates.
Who's to say other regions don't have Hidden Grottos, it's just the player's character never discovered them. Don't forget, we only knew about them in BW2 because Bianca showed us the one on Route 5 thus the player's character started to keep an eye out for them (and thus giving us, the player, the visual key noting where there's a Hidden Grotto).

The Hidden Grotto seems like a peaceful location where the Pokemon doesn't need to worry about predators, sort of like a safe haven for them to rest (at least it was until the player discovered them). Could be there's also something mystical about them, maybe this mystical serenity changes their Ability to their Hidden Ability (and it only affects wild Pokemon).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)