A Scarf, a Dragon and lots of Substitutes

Welcome to my first RMT. As you can see, this team contains a Scarf, a dragon and a lot of Substitutes (otherwise I would have called it something else). Let's just cut to the teambuilding process, I hate introductions.
Teambuilding process
  • The first item of business for any teambuilder is to choose a Mega Evolution. My choice was Lucario, because a High Jump Kick backed by Adaptability and 140 base Attack hurts everything that isn't a Ghost.
  • Even though Mega Evolving increases Lucario's Speed, it turns out to be just a tad too slow for my liking. I chose to add a Delphox and give it a Scarf. (This is the Scarf that appears in the topic title).
  • I then added a King's Rock Cloyster for enemy Substitute users.
  • I decided upon including a Fairy, and eventually settled on a set of my own design: Super Luck Togekiss. (I didn't have room for Twave in the set, so no paraflinch)
  • I looked for a viable spinner, and seeing Excadrill unbanned thought 'Oh why not?' (Mold Breaker Drilbur is the best spinner in LC so...)
  • Last but not least came an Expert Belt Jolteon.
  • I then saw that Jolteon lacked power and replaced it with a SubCM Raikou.(One of the Substitutes of the title)
  • Togekiss was replaced with Whimsicott at the request of a friend, and has performed much better.(Another of the Substitutes of the title)
  • Cloyser lacked power before setting up, and bulk after setting up, so I replaced it with a Bulky Mixed Kyurem-Black.(The Dragon)
In-depth
Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified (Adaptability when Mega Evolved)
EVs: 252 Spd/252 Atk/4 HP
Jolly
High Jump Kick
Bullet Punch
Crunch
Ice Punch
This thing is an offensive monster. If this guy switches in on a Dark-type attack aimed at Delphox, it gains an attack boost, Mega Evolves, and sweeps. Even without any boost, a High Jump Kick after Mega evolving one- or two- hit KOs everything that isn't Ghost-typed. Bullet Punch is to finish off stuff that may carry priority, and is chosen over Extreme Speed because of Fairies. Crunch and Ice Punch allow Luke to get one- or two- hit KOs on more than half of the fully evolved Ghost-types in existence. Bottom line, this guy is an absolute monster, and can only really be stopped by status.

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpA/4 HP
Timid
IVs: 0 Atk
Fire Blast
Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Switcheroo
Testing: Grass Knot over Shadow Ball
Behold my revenge killer. With a Scarf, she effectively hits 156 base Speed on Showdown (which shows her base Speed as 104). Fire Blast and Psyshock are kind of obvious, with Psyshock over Psychic for the pink blobs. Shadow Ball is used for coverage, although Grass Knot is being tested, as it hits most Waters. Switcheroo is to cripple walls that are not pink blobs (Staring you in the face, Ferrothorn). This Pokémon can also wall-break or sweep in its own right, as well as revenge kill.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/200 Spd/52 SpA
Serious (don't bag me, I want him to keep his bulk, speed AND power, and this nature is my favourite of the ones that let me do so)
Ice Beam
Fusion Bolt
Dragon Claw
Roost
This guy screams bulky mixed wallbreaker, and that's what I use him for. Ice Beam is chosen for STAB and can OHKO some things that would otherwise be huge threats, such as Gliscor and Landorus-Therian. Dragon Claw over Outrage because Fairies. Fusion Bolt for coverage, because the coverage is not redundant, it is powerful and it is physical. Roost and Leftovers give this guy absolutely COLOSSAL bulk.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 SDef
Timid
Leech Seed
Substitute
Taunt
Protect
Testing: Encore over Taunt
A lot of people have seen Whimsicott as the ultimate SubSeeder, and it does it even better this generation with its Fairy subtype. With Leftovers and Leech Seed, it recovers more HP than it loses when alternating between Sub and Protect repeatedly. Taunt and Encore have the ability to buy free turns: Taunt allows this thing to work as an anti-lead, while Encore gives Raikou free setup.

Excadrill (M) @ Leftovers Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd 252 Atk/252 Spd/ 4 HP
Adamant Jolly
-Earthquake
-Iron Head Stealth Rock
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin
Following the advice of Ballofire, I made some changes and this set is 20 billion times better. Earthquake is still an awesome STAB, but Iron Head is replaced with Stealth Rock. I also made it max Speed to increase the amount of opportunities to spin. The item is now Air Balloon, and it really helps against enemy Excadrill, because I can switch this guy in at the start of the game, tank anything bar a surprise Brick Break that it throws at me and hit it with my own Earthquake.

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Rash Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-Thunderbolt
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Aura Sphere
Basic idea of this set is to get a Substitute up with prediction, Calm Mind a few times from behind the Sub, and destroy things with Calm Mind and Aura Sphere. Note that if Golurk ever switches in on this guy, you need to switch out because Golurk is immune to both the attacks. 0 Atk IVs to hate on Sableye and Liepard.
Threatlist: Major threat, Medium Threat, Only an annoyance
  • Aegislash can only really be dealt with by Excadrill's Earthquake.
  • Greninja hard counters Delphox and can create Protean shenanigans, but SubSeeding works well against it.
  • Talonflame is able to be destroyed by almost any attack this team carries, and is only really annoying because it can OHKO Excadrill and Lucario with Flare Blitz.

Last edited:
Minor critique before I post my real one (will edit) would definitely put air balloon over lefties on excadrill, allows you to come in safety and threaten mons out who rely on EQ to take you out. Lefties isn't going to add much longevity at all. I know you feel like a "bulky excadrill" is going to work but it's not going to. People in the higher ladders have already started to run max speed max attack with jolly. Excadrill is quickly becoming one of the best spinners and being slow isn't going to cut it when all of your brothers are speed creeping you to the very limits. It also allows you to outspeed non scarf rotoms which is very important for the mold breaker ability. Iron head is essentially useless honestly, it's kind of there. SD is an okay option but again, most of the time it is just there, rocks could work also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)