A Pleasant Surprise: Lopunny Discussion

Sorry my bad, i meant 2hko.

Edit: Damage calculations.
For Sally
All this are calculated after an intimidate.
An ice Punch from a Neutral Nature 252ATK Lopunny does 41% - 48% to a Neutral 252/252 Sally
Ice Punch from Neutral 252 Atk Loppuny does 38%-44% to a Def+ 252/252 Sally
Ice Punch from Neutral 252 Atk Loppuny does 64% - 75% to a neutral 0/0 Sally.

All it takes is enough Evs to reach 200 atk to 2hko 0/0 Sally. (Before an intimidate)

For Garchomp

An ice Punch from a Neutral 252 Atk Loppuny does 63%-74% to a neutral 252/252 GabbyAn ice Punch from a Neutral 252 Atk Loppuny does 58%-68% to a Def + 252/252 GabbyAn ice Punch from a Neutral 252 Atk Loppuny does 100% to a neutral 0/0 Gabby

Any lower then 252 Atk, and Gabby has a chance of surviving, but barely.

I hope this Calcs are correct... did it with netbattle.

Edit2: How much does an attack drop reduce the atk by? Sorry, i did it with 1/4 atk drop.

Jump Kick is better than Sky Uppercut, offering more accuracy and PP. Anyways, Blissey won't/shouldn't switch into Lopunny anyways. It's not primarily a special attacker, and considering that Lopunny has a good 80% chance of carrying Switcheroo, the loss of leftovers is a threat that should be accounted for. Thus, I believe the set is much better on paper than in practice.

Jump Kick is better than Sky Uppercut, offering more accuracy and PP. Anyways, Blissey won't/shouldn't switch into Lopunny anyways. It's not primarily a special attacker, and considering that Lopunny has a good 80% chance of carrying Switcheroo, the loss of leftovers is a threat that should be accounted for. Thus, I believe the set is much better on paper than in practice.
No, you switch to Lopunny when Blissey comes out. I would hope no one would be nutty enough to switch Blissey into Lopunny.

And Focus Punch is probably better than either of them. Lopunny needs the extra power. I didn't realize that Jump Kick had been improved, though. But recoil sucks, especially when you're taking down Blisseys. I guess it's just down to preference. :P

Recoil comes *only* if you miss, which is just a 5% chance. Otherwise, it's a fine move. Lopunny and Blissey aren't going to be out on the field at the same time unless the Blissey user just wants to sacrifice some damage. Spiritomb does a good job countering Lopunny, not really caring about Lagging Tail/Iron Orb, while special versions don't mind the burn and physical versions enjoying the Choice Band.

If you're going for the straight choice band/Switcheroo Lopunny, a better pokemon choice would be Banette with Trick. Its Frisk ability allows you to see your opponent's item, and with 115 attack, can do some serious damage with a Choice Band. Also, it really isn't as expected as a Lopunny with Switcheroo.

Lopunny @Choice Band
Cute Charm
-Focus Punch
-Ice Punch
-Switcheroo
-Thunder Punch/Fire Punch
With max attack of 276

Verse:

Banette @Choice Band
Frisk
-Pay Back(due to its speed, this move could work well)
-Return
-Shadow Claw
-Trick
With max attack of 361 +STAB for Shadow Claw

Given that Lopunny has more defense/sp. defense, but not enough to make a powerful move more than a two hit kill, and Banette can do that as well. The speed is really the only other thing Lopunny has going for it. All in all, everyone is going to expect a Lopunny to have Switcheroo, which could ruin its potential.

Lopunny's speed stat is, arguably, it's most endearing asset; because it's faster than most standards, it's strategy has a higher success rate than Banette. Banette looks to be very much UU this time around.

hehe. i know why they made the gender ration for lopunny 50/50. its a rabbit. 50/50 allows for more efficient breeding.

Lopunny has the speed, but with 76 base attack, it really can't do much damage even with a Choice Band. Switcheroo can really only work once in every game, so it pretty much makes Lopunny a 'hope-for-the-best' pokemon, and X4 weaknesses is about all it can hope for.

Question about a breeding chain:

Say I want a Lopunny with Switcheroo and an elemental punch, probably Ice Punch. How would I go about making that happen? I'm not quite sure how to finish off the set, but I'm almost certain she'll have an Impish or Jolly nature. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :D

Question about a breeding chain:

Say I want a Lopunny with Switcheroo and an elemental punch, probably Ice Punch. How would I go about making that happen? I'm not quite sure how to finish off the set, but I'm almost certain she'll have an Impish or Jolly nature. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :D
Two ways:

Abra, Machop, etc. (with punches) --> Hypno --> Buneary

Smeargle --> Buneary

To the original poster: Pretty well written, though I don't like your way of formatting the moves. Categorizing them in Special, Physical and Support Moves is the standard way and much easier to read. You don't need to show EVERY move, just the useful (or gimmick) ones. Also, please put a link to serebii's page of Lopunny in your post.

Your movesets and their strategies, however, need some help. For your first set, why would anyone keep the burned, swaggered pokémon in, especially while you do something as dangerous as Rest in this supposed-to-be hyper offensive metagame? The second set doesn't do it much better either and Fling doesn't really count as an attack. The third set could work, but I feel like it is outclassed by something. Lol, can't figure out who though.

Lopunny's stats are awful. I see the only "useful" way of using it instead of something else is Sneaking (I refuse to call that move "Switcheroo." Seriously! The name is even more hideous than U-Turn!) Orbs to the opponent. Maybe a hax set with
Lopunny @ Flame Orb
Trait: Klutz
EVs: Something like 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sneak (Switcheroo...)
- Swagger
- Agility / Filler
- Baton Pass / Filler
Burn that Heracross and Swagger it. Should it fail, you've lost the match :P . If you encounter a special attacker instead, just swagger it and hope for the best. Anyways, set up an agility and baton pass it to something. The Bpass-moves could also be replaced by something that is cabable of breaking a Gengar's sub. However I highly doubt this would ever work.

BTW, wasn't there a lopunny discussion a while ago?

Edit: Now that I came to think about it, Charm could work even better..
Nice, I do like flame orb over choice, but fillers should defiantly be thunder wave and toxic, for coverage, nothing resists both. And also sets up for a wall to come in and wall like crazy. Charm actually is best, something like this,

Lopunny @ Flame Orb
Trait: Klutz
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk) (ps, I thought timid raised spe? And careful spd?)
- "Sneak"
- Swagger
- Charm
- thunder wave

With thunder wave and swagger, the opponent gets to attack like every 2 turns, giving you a chance to charm there attack to death.

Just my opinion :)

a less novelty-like set could include Entrainment (Make Friends) and the Klutz ability, thus nullifying their items AND ability (Levitate, Guts, Swift Swim, Sand Rush, Poison Heal, etc.) and killing 2 pkmn with one stone. dis shud include a Shadow Tagger, or Arena Trap (now viable because of Levitate's disappearance, unless opponent can fly...) so that pkmn can grab that KO on the helpless lil fighter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)