Gen 3 A Fresh Start(er) ADV PU Balance Offense

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
250th Post

Introduction

ADV PU has become my favorite PU Old Gen since Dunsparce's ban in early July. With the PU Classic and PUPL coming up, it became a necessity to build for ADV so I could have those games on lock-down. While I didn't really get to participate in either of those endeavors, I got to play and test against some of the best ADV PU players and won several room tours using this team featuring 3 different starters with 3 different types from 3 different regions. Most important to note however, is that ADV has a severe lack of certain types. For instance, the tier's best Psychic-type and Fighting-type, Combusken and Smoochum, are only B+, which changes the way ADV PU players build both offensively and defensively. All in all, this team has been my favorite ADV PU team to use the last couple of months and I encourage all readers of this RMT to try ADV PU if you have not done so already.

The Team

Minun (F) @ Leftovers Ability: Minus EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Timid Nature - Thunderbolt - Hidden Power [Ice] - Quick Attack - Toxic

Minun is my lead of choice for two reasons. One is because its tied with Yanma to be the fastest relevant Pokemon in ADV PU. Two is because Thunderbolt + Hidden Power Grass + Toxic Minun beats all other standard leads bar opposing Substitute Minun, and forces the opponent to shift gears and go immediately into either Specially Defensive Grass-type or Dragonair. Minun is also a good mid-game special sponge, being able to take hits from the likes of Omanyte and Quilava and dish them back out. Quick Attack is for EndRev and EndFlail Pokemon such as Doduo and Yanma
Dragonair (M) @ Leftovers Ability: Shed Skin EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Adamant Nature - Dragon Dance - Double-Edge - Iron Tail - Hidden Power [Ground]

Dragonair is the only S Rank Pokemon in the entire tier, and with good reason. Being able to check Fire-, Grass-, and Water-types in one slot while simultaneously acting as a set-up sweeper has proven invaluable for this ADV PU team. Shed Skin also comes in handy for removing status, where Dragonair would otherwise be paralyzed or burned and remain useless for the rest of the match. Double Edge is Dragonair's stongest move since Dragon-type moves are special in Gen 3, with Iron Tail hitting Rock-types like Rhyhorn and Shuckle and Hidden Power Ground hitting Minun, Quilava, and Rhyhorn without missing.

Marshtomp (F) @ Leftovers Ability: Torrent EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Relaxed Nature - Earthquake - Surf - Toxic - Protect

Marshtomp is one of the best physical walls in the entire tier, checking key threats such as Dragonair and Shuckle. Marshtomp alongside Ivysaur provides a solid defensive backbone for the team. Marshtomp generally doesn't have to worry about Grass-type attacks as 4 Pokemon on the team resist Grass. Marshtomp is easiest Pokemon on this team to replace, as Omanyte and Sealeo also work well in this slot, but generally I prefer Marshtomp because it has an overall easier time at pivoting than Omanyte or Sealeo.

Quilava (M) @ Leftovers Ability: Blaze EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Hasty Nature - Fire Blast - Hidden Power [Grass] - Toxic - Quick Attack

Quilava is the team's general Grass and Fire check and secondary priority user. It's amazing Fire- + Grass-type coverage backed by a Base 80 Special Attack leaves it only checked by specially defensive walls like Drowzee (which get Toxiced) and Dragonair who still takes 40% from Fire Blast. Quick Attack also nails EndRev and EndFlail Pokemon. Quilava, while somewhat predictable due to its shallow movepool, works wonders for this team.

Yanma (F) @ Liechi Berry Ability: Speed Boost EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Jolly Nature - Substitute - Reversal - Hidden Power [Flying] - Shadow Ball

Once all priority users, Encore users, and Rock Blast users are gone, Yanma has a very easy time getting itself down to 1HP with Substitute. A +1 Reversal and Hidden Power Flying nearly OHKO's the entire metagame while Speed Boost ensures that Yanma doesn't have to win any speed ties with opposing Minuns and Yanmas. Shadow Ball mainly hits Duskull, which could otherwise stomach a +1 Hidden Power Flying and take Yanma out with Night Shade.

Ivysaur (M) @ Leftovers Ability: Overgrow EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe Careful Nature - Leech Seed - Synthesis - Curse - Sludge Bomb

CroSaur is in my opinion, the best win-con of the tier. ADV PU has literally zero Steel-types to wall Ivysaur, as the only somewhat relevant one, Magnemite, cannot do much in return while it eventually gets worn down by Leech Seed. Ivysaur is incredibly bulky on the special side, even being able to easily take nonSTAB super effective hits from the likes of Special Dragonair and Gastly.

Conclusion

While ADV PU is not the most well-known tier, it has taught me the fundamental basics of how a Balance Offense team operates and how those principals translate to our current SM PU metagame. And most importantly for me, I've made a team that is fun to actually play. I know from experience that some of the older RoA gens focus on repetitively using the same mons, but I have never found that to be the case with ADV PU, and perhaps that's one reason why I enjoy its so much. I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this RMT and I hope you have an absolute fantastic day.

Minun (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Minus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Quick Attack
- Toxic

Dragonair (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Iron Tail
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Marshtomp (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Surf
- Toxic
- Protect

Quilava @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic
- Quick Attack

Yanma (F) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Shadow Ball

Ivysaur @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Curse
- Sludge Bomb

Thanks to Slowbroth, Solar Flare, pinktidal, LordST, pancake, Akir, MiyoKa, Megazard, Pearl, Disjunction, and all other ADV PU people for your contributions to this amazing RoA tier, whether your contributions were small or grand.

Shout Outs to the PU Community as a whole. You guys are my second family and over my last 18 months in PU I've gotten to "travel the world" and make friendships that will last a lifetime. I really don't know what more to say because I'm literally speechless. You guys are amazing and I cannot thank you enough.

Personal Shoutouts to Rwby, Dibs The Dreamer, Taskr, GeneralAnnoyance, TJ UBERSkitty, InfernoMonferno and iRebel for always accepting my random challenges, putting up with my shenanigans, and just being authentic people. Also aah oober skitteh! bati boosh! and boop!

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man. I'd like to do a full rate but frankly my serious ADV skills are a bit rusted over, there's definitely things I'd call significant threats like every single banded Normal (having just marsh to tank hits is quite spooky), or subsalac smoochum, or Sealeo (zero seal switchins, my guy) but actually fixing those problems without making this unrecognizable is sorta beyond me. One thing I can suggest though is, well, have you tried HP Grass Dragonair? I always find HP Ground incredibly lackluster, basically just your option if you don't want to risk missing or take recoil. HP Grass (still adamant 0 investment mind you) is a great way to lure Omastar/Marshtomp/Rhydon and 2hko with no troubles, whereas HP Ground does nothing for Marshtomp and isn't amazing vs Omastar either (keep in mind that 100% health Protect Marshtomp can live 2 HP Grasses with 2 turns of lefties but not if u roll high and like why wouldn't u chip a Marshtomp at some point). I definitely have a bit of an obsession with using HP Grass on all my DD Nairs so that might contribute here, but having a strong Marshtomp lure alongside HP Ice Minun and Yanma would make a lot of sense, plus surprise kills on Omastar could really help with that whole no Spikes removal thing. Anyway, hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)