SM OU (2057 ELO Top 5 EZ) Special Attacking Garchomp

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Happy thanksgiving everyone.

Ho3n back with an antimeta team that got I did pretty good with these past few days.

Get ready to take your ELO points and

Proof of rank: https://imgur.com/a/AJyel

Importable:
Code:
Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite 
Ability: Hyper Cutter 
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Return 
- Earthquake 
- Swords Dance 
- Quick Attack 

Magearna @ Fightinium Z 
Ability: Soul-Heart 
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD 
Quiet Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk / 1 Spe 
- Trick Room 
- Flash Cannon 
- Thunderbolt 
- Aura Sphere 

Garchomp @ Life Orb 
Ability: Rough Skin 
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Naive Nature 
- Fire Blast 
- Hidden Power [Ice] 
- Earthquake 
- Draco Meteor 

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy 
Ability: Aura Break 
EVs: 160 HP / 148 Atk / 200 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Dragon Dance 
- Thousand Arrows 
- Extreme Speed 
- Coil 

Greninja @ Focus Sash 
Ability: Protean 
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Taunt 
- Spikes 
- Ice Beam 
- Hidden Power [Fire] 

Excadrill @ Focus Sash 
Ability: Mold Breaker 
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Stealth Rock 
- Earthquake 
- Rapid Spin 
- Toxic
Teambuilding process:

Dual Sash Leads:

Here's a relic of I'd say the middle of the sun and moon meta; dual sash leads. Greninja and Excadrill just work so well hand in hand for either setting up hazards or preventing sweeps.

Lead Exca most of the time, but there are some good exceptions. This set is awesome and will always be great for being able to set up rocks through magic bounce, have a threatening earthquake, and toxic lead or defensive Landos. It's flaws come with it not being able to toxic or damage well enough many walls of OU, as well as being slow enough to be easily taunted or 2HKOd. The walls are Skarm, Celesteel, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor; this is where Greninja comes in play and works better as a lead. HP Fire and Ice Beam are perfect coverage; HP Fire especially tends to be a surprise.

Setting up rocks can be more important than spinning, BUT you should try to spin against sticky web teams. Otherwise, hazards are imperative to this team.

Star of the show:

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 1 Spe
- Trick Room
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere

Trick Room Mag just does so much for the team, and all you'll need sometimes is that 4 turns of inverted speed to sweep. This mon helps with sweeping, sure, but it's also awesome for oposing TR or Sticky Webs teams.

Imagine this: when the enemy Cresselia, Uxie, Stakata, or whatever tries to Trick Room, you can use your own Trick Room and revert it. At 122 speed thanks to the measly 1 IV point makes you slow enough for most inside of TR, and fast enough outside it to naturally sweep TR teams. Don't rush into using this mon, though, instead make sure you utilize your hazards and other team members before pulling out this trump card.

Against webs, this thing can start sweeping so long as there 4 enemy mons left. The nice thing about this set is being able to make trade offs in your advantage while the opponent tries to set up sticky webs, only for your opponent to be wasting their time against this set. Just a great trick up your sleeve if your opponent isn't ready for it.

As for the moveset, fightinium Z is great for would be walls like Heatran, Magnezone, Ferrothorn, and even unresisted hits on mons like Mega Scizor or Mega Swampert can leave a big enough dent to sweep. Thats the goal with this set; get to +1, and have no problem. Thunderbolt will be helpful against the likes of Tapu Fini and Celestela, but you can't even 2HKO most Toxapexes at the start.

252+ SpA Magearna Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Toxapex: 138-164 (45.3 - 53.9%) -- 44.5% chance to 2HKO

All of the Toxapexes are running special defensive investment, so it's not even like you can pray that it's phys def. Plus, this thing will be slower than you! So you're best bet is to try and 2HKO with tbolt and hazards before setting up TR.

The weirdo:

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor

So here's the title mon finally, and I get its a really awkward set. And it felt awkward at first; I mean, full 252 sp atk investemnt and attack is still the bigger stat? Furthermore, that attack stat doesn't even pass 300???

I know its wacky and looks like bait, but it's much more than a bait set. Essentially, I wanted something with Fire, Ice, and Ground coverage as a mixed attacker, and especially was fast enough. Garchomp covers this, and excels at getting that sweet 1HKO or even 2HKO to many threats, all while not being set up fodder. Here's some cool calcs:

4 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 312-369 (100.6 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 452-536 (131.7 - 156.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Celesteela: 198-234 (49.7 - 58.7%) -- 71.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 234-278 (83.2 - 98.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 291-343 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 296-354 (92.7 - 110.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

4 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 156-185 (45.3 - 53.7%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Hawlucha: 290-343 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (great bait when they SD in your face lol)

Its utility mostly comes with its speed. The fact that Garchomp out speeds these aforementioned mons and more it great for getting off that hit and continuing the momentum. A substitute could be something like Mega Camerupt, but it's simply too slow. Beating everything at base 101 and below is too essential.

Mega Pinsir the GOAT:

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack

Just a great mon in this meta. I personally don't believe Naganadal is that big of a problem because of this mon:

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Naganadel: 232-274 (80.8 - 95.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I get psychic terrain exists and all, but that mon just get wears down by hazards and is so vulnerable to many types of priority, so I never have a problem with that mon with this team.

Mega Pinsir is really a monster, I don't think you need to see any age old calcs for me to prove that. It helps Mag against Mega Venausar, Tangrowth, and even Volc and Victini can fall victim without too much set up.

Weakness Policy Redux

Zygarde @ Weakness Polcy
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 148 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Coil

If you haven't been on the WP Zygarde wave, I go really in depth about the set in my older RMT here:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ygarde-z-swarm-and-more.3617704/#post-7541855

The change here is that instead of Outrage, I opted for Coil. Coil is just going to be better when you have to use Zygarde against an opposing Mega Pinsir, as it be better to Coil, Thousand Arrows, and then Espeed to guarantee you survive and that it dies. It's also gives Zygarde some flexibility, and the opportunity cost of not having a powerful nuke (something needed when you start with only 300 attack lol).

Still, Coil is an extra set up option that gives you another opportunity to win. That simple.

Replays:
Overall Good Game, Against Webs https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-662401694
Pinsir Sweep http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-662448142
TR Mag Sweep http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-662448998

I encourage you guys to try it out and don't be afraid to make riskier plays. Have fun :)

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-665667860
^Great replay, showing how Coil is better than say Outrage or Substitute on Zygarde. The utility of being able to survive many late game sweeper attacks and hit with the thousand arrows and espeed combo is so clutch, only to be supplemented when dd is better when speed is needed.

Also, post Naganadel ban, I only see this team becoming stronger. EDIT: Currently reipeaked at top 5 again:
5Ho3nConfirm3d203882.7%1795 ± 25

Anyways, have fun!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)