2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or has the transfer period been very quiet so far? Apart from Man Utd chasing after Pogba, there doesn't seem to be much deals happening.
Real Madrid hasn't been active at all, Barcelona signing Denis Suarez, Bayern signing Renato Sanches, Arsenal signing Xhaka, Spurs getting Wanyama and Dortmund signing Dembele.
In fact, except Man Utd , other clubs seem to not have many new faces (except lower profile ones like Arsenal signing some Japanese kid)
You have to imagine that after the euros, there will be a period of seeing what teams will need and some people shining in these tournaments. Also Kante went to Chelsea and Mahrez will be taken soon so there is that. Plus James Rodriguez will probably be out at Madrid and Pep will be making moves soon

Is it just me or has the transfer period been very quiet so far? Apart from Man Utd chasing after Pogba, there doesn't seem to be much deals happening.
Real Madrid hasn't been active at all, Barcelona signing Denis Suarez, Bayern signing Renato Sanches, Arsenal signing Xhaka, Spurs getting Wanyama and Dortmund signing Dembele.
In fact, except Man Utd , other clubs seem to not have many new faces (except lower profile ones like Arsenal signing some Japanese kid)
We also got Hummels and I'm pretty sure we'll get another offensive player after Götze to Dortmund is done. James might be a candidate for us if Ancelotti wants him and he isn't too expensive for our bosses.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/sommertransfers

Lol just went to check the biggest transfers and Mkhitaryan signed for United, when did that happen? Totally missed that.

Batshuayi to Chelsea, Pjanic to Juventus, Krychowiak to PSG, Gundogan to City, Gaitan to Atletico are all big signings as well.

Lots of high profile signings honestly, it's just that there hasn't been the ''signing of the summer'' yet, but that's going to be Pogba so...

http://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/sommertransfers

Lol just went to check the biggest transfers and Mkhitaryan signed for United, when did that happen? Totally missed that.
Quite some time ago. It's unusual for Madrid to not make a move. They usually make a big signing every transfer window.

Batshuayi went for a big fee and is not the finished product yet. Pjanic to Juventus? When did that happen? I totally forgot about Hummels and Gundogan lol.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Considering that Will Griggs made top 25 of the european footballer of the year due to a youtube video says everything about this contest lol

Apparently, the English FA has introduced new rules to curb "unacceptable behaviour" by players towards match officials.

Offences which could earn players a yellow card

• Visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official;
  • An aggressive response to decisions;
  • Confronting an official face to face;
  • Running towards an official to contest a decision;
  • Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials;
  • Physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner;
  • A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.
New red card offences
  • If a player confronts match officials and uses offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards them;
  • Physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.

Terry and Costa would be sent off every game :-D

Serious Mode: I can't really see how they're going to enforce this one. Say, it's a derby and emotions are running high. Player A gets a call against him. He gets wound up and confronted the ref. Ref gives him a red. Then, his teammates come and try to argue. Does he send off every one of them?

That's not going into how accountable this system is going to be. It's the ref's words against the player's words.

Apparently, the English FA has introduced new rules to curb "unacceptable behaviour" by players towards match officials.

Offences which could earn players a yellow card

• Visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official;
  • An aggressive response to decisions;
  • Confronting an official face to face;
  • Running towards an official to contest a decision;
  • Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials;
  • Physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner;
  • A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.
New red card offences
  • If a player confronts match officials and uses offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards them;
  • Physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.
Uhm... how is this any different from before? Didn't this already happen?

Previously, you get yellow card for any form of dissent. Now, you get a straight red for swearing at the ref. (So no more swearing from Terry, Rooney or Costa ).

Oh, and if a team surrounds the ref, a yellow card will be handed out. Chelsea needs to watch out for this.

Terry and Costa would be sent off every game :-D

Serious Mode: I can't really see how they're going to enforce this one. Say, it's a derby and emotions are running high. Player A gets a call against him. He gets wound up and confronted the ref. Ref gives him a red. Then, his teammates come and try to argue. Does he send off every one of them?

That's not going into how accountable this system is going to be. It's the ref's words against the player's words.
If they enforce it in a big derby match and it costs a team, everyone will start respecting it. What would be the response? Ohh the ref ruined the derby by enforcing the rules

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah there might be a couple of situations with a few reds in games at the beginning, but soon players will learn. Emotions running high in a Derby shouldn't be an excuse for it

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
If they enforce it in a big derby match and it costs a team, everyone will start respecting it. What would be the response? Ohh the ref ruined the derby by enforcing the rules
yeah this is pretty much bang on.

i've played rugby & football competitively and in the former as soon as you start mouthing off at the ref they will penalise you. you soon start to realise that all you are doing is costing your team by being an idiot. the situation is tragic in the modern game at professional level and it is about time players actually started acting like grown men.

yeah this is pretty much bang on.

i've played rugby & football competitively and in the former as soon as you start mouthing off at the ref they will penalise you. you soon start to realise that all you are doing is costing your team by being an idiot. the situation is tragic in the modern game at professional level and it is about time players actually started acting like grown men.
I hope they actually grow some balls and do it in a huge game. That way we can separate the idiots from the people who actually care about the games in the post match analysis

Sounds like the Pogba deal is done, 110m is there anyway he lives up to the price tag.

For me would have to do what YaYa did a few years ago and then repeat for another few seasons and also help bring United the Champions League or League titles.

For me would have to do what YaYa did a few years ago and then repeat for another few seasons and also help bring United the Champions League or League titles.
Man Utd aren't even in the Champions League this season and even if they are, I'd think that the 3 La Liga clubs + Bayern are still much stronger than them even if they get Pogba.

Pogba and the entire Juve team couldn't beat barca in their strongest year. Now he needs to go to a weaker team and somehow carry them not only to champions league in a year but also a champions league win within 2 years. That price tag is reserved for someone like messi or ronaldo in their prime, doubt pogba lives up to it

2015/16- Juventus Round of 16 lost to Bayern in overtime second leg. Manchester United 3rd place in group stage sent to Europa league, eliminated in round of 16 to Liverpool
2014-15- Juventus eliminated in finals to Barcelona. Manchester United did not qualify for champions league
2013-14 Juventus 3rd place in group sent to Europa league, eliminated in semifinals. Manchester United eliminated quarter finals to Bayern
2012-13 Juventus eliminated quarter finals to Bayern. Manchester United eliminated round of 16 to Real Madrid

I would say weaker is a very accurate statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)