Smogon Forums

Hulavuta
Hulavuta
You know how people say "oh your problems are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things?" like how we're a speck in the universe or whatever. I had an idea once where like, the story just starts with a girl having teen drama problems in high school but the story just escalates more and more, like maybe there's some petty crime, then some domestic terrorism,
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
then like a full out war between two countries, then like, a world war. Then demons come out of the earth and it's like some kind of armageddon. Then it's like Martian invasion, then it's like intergalactic aliens, then like entire galaxies at war,
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
and then like idk heaven itself and god/the gods appearing and doing stuff and the entire universe / universes exploding, reforming, whatever. then even past that, who knows.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
But the hard part is like making the logical connection between all of these so there's some sense of continuity. Like why would the teenage girl be involved in anything past the domestic terrorism for example. But that would be the ultimate "well that escalated quickly" story.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
man these character limits on posts are really garbage!!
brightobject
brightobject
i ate ur moms garbage. but sounds like a good short story idea. very gold july boojum
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
yeah it does sound kinda like that now that you mention it, lol

short story idk, seems like the scale needs to be a lot bigger. maybe like a tv series where the premise is not really known at first. it would be interesting to see how people react to the level of escalation
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
like week after week, season after season. maybe it could be such a slow burn that people would buy it, lol
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
also, now that *I* mention I wonder if this isnt too different from what marvel kinda already did...
brightobject
brightobject
this is dragon ball
brightobject
brightobject
i.e., deez nuts
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
kinda yeah except Dragon Ball already takes place in a fantasy setting. I think for this to work it has to be as realistic as possible. Marvel tries to keep things grounded despite the fantastical stuff, by always keeping it in context with actual history, locations, etc.

also it would have to start with some teen drama shit to begin with, not be fighting from the very begin
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Closest thing I can think of is like Yu Yu Hakusho maybe lol, because like it starts with a kid, with a chain smoking single mom, getting hit by a car, another kid who has a teacher conspiring to fail him and worried he can't support his family etc.

But still nothing really comes close to what I had in mind