Metagame Protean Palace

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Original idea by scorpdestroyer
Approved by KaenSoul, Giagantic, and UT
[ART]
Protean Palace
[PREMISE]
Every Pokemon stacks Protean on top of their current ability. Each Pokemon's type changes to match the type of the move it is about to use.

[EXAMPLES]
:cresselia: A Cresselia that uses Thunderbolt on its first turn out will convert into Electric-type while retaining its Ground-type immunity from Levitate. If it uses Moonblast, it will change into a Fairy-type.
:garganacl: A Garganacl uses Salt Cure on its first turn out, which does not change its type to Rock because it is already natively Rock-type. It can use Body Press on its second turn active to change to the Fighting-type.
:kingambit: A Kingambit that uses Iron Head on its first turn will be converted to a mono-Steel-type Pokemon, even though it used a move that it already has STAB with.

[RULESET]
Standard OMs, Sleep Moves Clause, Min Source Gen = 9

[BANLIST]
Pokemon: Arceus, Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Base, Dialga, Dialga-Origin, Espathra, Eternatus, Flutter Mane, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Iron Boulder, Iron Bundle, Koraidon, Kyogre, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Landorus-Incarnate, Lugia, Lunala, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Palafin, Palkia, Palkia-Origin, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Reshiram, Shaymin-Sky, Solgaleo, Spectrier, Terapagos, Urshifu-Single-Strike, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zekrom
Abilities: Arena Trap, Moody, Shadow Tag
Moves: Baton Pass, Last Respects, Shed Tail

[SAMPLE SETS]
Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Aerial Ace

Kingambit can use Aerial Ace on its first turn to gain a valuable immunity to Ground-type moves and a resistance to Fighting-type moves, two types that it struggles against with its standard Dark / Steel typing. Additionally, Tera Ghost can be used to instantly change its type, avoiding any penalties from its low speed and letting it set up a Swords Dance against a Normal- or Fighting-type attacker.
Enamorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Substitute

A Fighting- or Steel-type attacker with substitute is nothing to laugh at, and Enamorus is able to take full advantage of its combination of Contrary and Superpower. Iron Head has the ability to give Enamorus access to an incredible defensive Steel typing, while Substitute lets it fire off consecutive Superpowers to boost its stats and protect against revenge killers.
Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight

Cresselia's access to Levitate and an Electric typing mean it has no weaknesses, and powerful BoltBeam coverage alongside Calm Mind mean it can set up without fearing Ghost- or Dark-type revenge killers.
Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Toxapex can rid itself of its Ground- and Psychic-type weaknesses with Chilling Water, as well as being able to convert to the relatively neutral Normal-type to more effectively face off with some offensive Pokemon.
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock

Garganacl is able to retain its Rock-typing when it uses Stealth Rock or Salt Cure but is able to transform into a Fighting-type with access to a strong STAB body press. Alternatively, Recover can be used to rid Garganacl of its Ground, Grass, Water, and Steel weaknesses.

[COUNCIL]
:regirock: berry
:kyurem: pannu
:gastrodon-east: yoko
:zorua: jasprose
:yanmega: Kinetic

Last edited:

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
azelf looks cool

Azelf @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mystical Power
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball / Energy Ball / Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn / more coverage

ig? mystical power keeps it psychic leaving it free to fire off boosted hits that are also protean-powered.

Azelf @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball / Dazzling Gleam / Shadow Ball
- Psyshock / more coverage / Trick

its fast it uturn and its special movepool is nice enough

Azelf @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Play Rough
- Explosion
- Drain Punch / Fire Punch

boom

edit: before i forget

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Dragon
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw / Iron Head

ddance does not activate protean. be awesome.

Last edited:

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
A note on watchlisted Pokemon

:urshifu-rapid-strike: :magearna::volcarona: :zamazenta-crowned: :annihilape:

These Pokemon are freed because we felt that they lost some of their viability by having their types changed: In the case of Pokemon like Urshifu-Rapid, Volcarona, and Magearna, taking a turn to set up and lose their typings seemed detrimental. In the case of Zama-C, losing one of its typings is just bad. Annihilape loses out on its dual STAB moves, but still has the potential to be powerful.

Consider these five pokemon the first official "watchlist" who will be removed swiftly if they cause any problems.

Last edited:

Yoko

I COULD BE BANNED!
gm day 1 idea
Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
have u ever thought "wow draco so broken does to much damage" well i just have the mon for u:)

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Day 0 thoughts
:arcanine-hisui: :dragonite: :lucario: Extreme Speed go brrr

:noivern: :scream-tail: Boomburst also go brrr

:dragapult: another om where pult looks broken... an incredible speed tier, immunity to extreme speed, priority in either quick attack or sucker punch to completely flip its weaknesses and resists on its' head, stab on coverage options like Thunderbolt, U-Turn and Flamethrower, the same specs shenanigans as usual... yeah idk if pult is gonna last long

:zamazenta: why is this free when it can get stab on its' crunch/stone edge AFTER using stab body press honestly. plus the speed tier is similarly insane

:gholdengo: Gholdengo loves being able to click Protect turn 1 against specs dragapult and become immune to its' shadow ball, while trickscarf can click buttons even more effectively now

:houndstone: :basculegion: last respects freed? scarf go brrr. basculegion also has options like banded aqua jet to rid itself of its' ghost immunity, while houndstone can body press to turn a dark weakness into a resistance against something like Hamurott or Moon edit: thank GOD

:cinderace: :meowscarada: these obviously don't get anything new, but they're still fast and powerful. STAB Banded U-Turn hurts.

:roaring-moon: honestly you could convince me that this is broken. fast, all the type options it wants, and hits like a truck. band or scarf both are gonna be deadly sets spamming U-Turn and Earthquake like there's no tomorrow

:pelipper: :torkoal: putting these in the same line because weather is going to be insane, speed is massively important in a meta like this and both of these give already powerful threats like barraskewda or roaring moon an even higher speed advantage to completely change the reliable answers to it. i can see damp rock and/or heat rock being banned in the future, but it's obviously too early to see

Yoko

I COULD BE BANNED!
Day 0 thoughts
:arcanine-hisui: :dragonite: :lucario: Extreme Speed go brrr

:noivern: :scream-tail: Boomburst also go brrr

:dragapult: another om where pult looks broken... an incredible speed tier, immunity to extreme speed, priority in either quick attack or sucker punch to completely flip its weaknesses and resists on its' head, stab on coverage options like Thunderbolt, U-Turn and Flamethrower, the same specs shenanigans as usual... yeah idk if pult is gonna last long

:zamazenta: why is this free when it can get stab on its' crunch/stone edge AFTER using stab body press honestly. plus the speed tier is similarly insane

:gholdengo: Gholdengo loves being able to click Protect turn 1 against specs dragapult and become immune to its' shadow ball, while trickscarf can click buttons even more effectively now

:houndstone: :basculegion: last respects freed? scarf go brrr. basculegion also has options like banded aqua jet to rid itself of its' ghost immunity, while houndstone can body press to turn a dark weakness into a resistance against something like Hamurott or Moon

:cinderace: :meowscarada: these obviously don't get anything new, but they're still fast and powerful. STAB Banded U-Turn hurts.

:roaring-moon: honestly you could convince me that this is broken. fast, all the type options it wants, and hits like a truck. band or scarf both are gonna be deadly sets spamming U-Turn and Earthquake like there's no tomorrow

:pelipper: :torkoal: putting these in the same line because weather is going to be insane, speed is massively important in a meta like this and both of these give already powerful threats like barraskewda or roaring moon an even higher speed advantage to completely change the reliable answers to it. i can see damp rock and/or heat rock being banned in the future, but it's obviously too early to see
last repects has been banned berry forget to put move banlist

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
So i've been discussing this a bit in OM discord, and it mostly pertains to Protean not activating if you're the same type as the move you're using. Note that this is the exact same type, so if you're say a Salamence using Dragon Dance, Protean will still activate because you aren't pure Dragon. In BH we just banned this balanced thing:

:sv/deoxys-attack:
Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Astral Barrage
- Headlong Rush
- Lumina Crash / Glacial Lance
- Volt Switch / U-turn

The main benefit of Lumina Crash on this set is that, since Protean doesn't activate when using it, the follow-up Astral Barrage is Protean-boosted and also on a -2 target, which KOes basically everything that lacks Ice Scales. This is obviously an extreme example (hell, I think this set just straight up doesn't need Crash), but it got me thinking: can anything replicate this here? Lumina Crash is only on Espathra, which is obviously banned, so it would have to be a different move. After some looking, I've found that moves that guaranteed drop the target's defenses if they hit (Screech, Metal Sound, Acid Spray, Thunderous Kick, Fire Lash, Grav Apple, Apple Acid) either can't be used to preserve Protean or are kinda just bad, with the best option unironically being Screech Persian.

This basically just leaves setup moves. Here are the viable setup moves (and all the ok users, whose viability is down to you) that can still preserve Protean:

Calm Mind - :mew::cresselia::espeon::uxie::mesprit::azelf:

Dragon Dance - :haxorus::regidrago:

Swords Dance - :zangoose::ursaring::greedent:

Nasty Plot - :persian-alola::zoroark:

Tidy Up - :maushold:

No Retreat - :falinks:

Thankfully there's nothing that can really be done with Quiver Dance / Victory Dance. There are also a couple of occasions where something wants to be the type of the setup move they're using. The biggest example is SD Lucario, although SD Heracross can also potentially work if you don't mind Trailblazing after the SD.

Last edited:

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
This looks like fun, anyway I made an HO team, let me know what I should change
:Dragapult:-:Zamazenta:-:Roaring Moon:-:Grimmsnarl:-:Lucario:-:Scizor:
Specs Pult and Band Moon are both insane, Grimmsnarl letting me set up screens for SD Espeed Lucario is also crazy, Scizor is my hazard control, idk if thats an optimal set tho. Pult is my only special mon, but idk how many physical walls will really be good anyway, since using most their moves destroys typing

MAMP

MAMP!
Is there any chance this meta can be changed to work like pre-Gen 9 Protean? I adored playing this in ORAS, and a lot of the fun was in predicting your opponent's move and changing your type on the fly to resist it. I feel like this iteration of the metagame loses a lot of what made it cool and interesting.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Is there any chance this meta can be changed to work like pre-Gen 9 Protean? I adored playing this in ORAS, and a lot of the fun was in predicting your opponent's move and changing your type on the fly to resist it. I feel like this iteration of the metagame loses a lot of what made it cool and interesting.
After discussing amongst the forum staff, we've decided to stick to the current definition for Protean Palace for now. We want to give the current version a chance since it's potentially more balanced, and any arguments about perceived fun or interest can't be substantiated without actually seeing what ladder activity looks like.

Last edited:

berry

what kind
:bw/darkrai: :bw/shaymin-sky:
Darkrai and Shaymin-Sky have been banned via council vote in preparation for Protean Palace's LCOTM nomination. The current banlist is as follows:

[BANLIST]
Pokemon: Arceus, Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, Darkrai, Dialga, Dialga-Origin, Espathra, Eternatus, Flutter Mane, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Iron Bundle, Koraidon, Kyogre, Landorus-Incarnate, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Palafin, Palkia, Palkia-Origin, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Shaymin-Sky, Spectrier, Urshifu-Single-Strike, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned

The council members will keep an eye on the ladder and community feedback to implement further bans as needed as the metagame evolves.

Last edited:
:swsh/thundurus-therian:
Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Poison
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic/Focus Blast

Nasty Plot user that can make use of the dark type with Dark Pulse and other coverage options. Works with Gengar too.

Last edited:

berry

what kind
:sv/iron-valiant:
Iron Valiant has been banned from Protean Palace after community feedback led to a council vote. It was frequently noted as the strongest, un-checkable attacker in the tier, and we hope that this ban will lead to a wider variety of strategies being viable in Protean Palace.

tagging Kris to implement.

Very Fun Metagame! I made a Sticky Web Team:
:Dragapult:-:Zamazenta:-:Ribombee:-:Gholdengo:-:Tornadus-Therian:-:Lucario:
I really like Sticky Web, because speed is very important for turning into the right type before the opponent does.
Zamazenta & Tornadus have the added benefit of retaining their option to switch type through protean as long as they use close combat or hurricane because protean won't activate if the move is the same type as the user.

Last edited:
Original idea by scorpdestroyer
Approved by KaenSoul, Giagantic, and UT
[ART]
Protean Palace
[PREMISE]
Every Pokemon stacks Protean on top of their current ability. Each Pokemon's type changes to the same type as the first move they use while active that does not match their native type.

[EXAMPLES]
:cresselia: A Cresselia that uses Thunderbolt on its first turn out will convert into Electric-type while retaining its Ground-type immunity from Levitate.
:garganacl: A Garganacl uses Salt Cure on its first turn out, which does not change its type to Rock because it is already natively Rock-type. It can use Body Press on its second turn active to change to the Fighting-type.
:kingambit: A Kingambit that uses Iron Head on its first turn will be converted to a mono-Steel-type Pokemon, even though it used a move that it already has STAB with.

[RULESET]
Standard OMs, Sleep Moves Clause, Min Source Gen = 9

[BANLIST]
Pokemon: Arceus, Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, Darkrai, Dialga, Dialga-Origin, Espathra, Eternatus, Flutter Mane, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Iron Bundle, Iron Valiant, Koraidon, Kyogre, Landorus-Incarnate, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Palafin, Palkia, Palkia-Origin, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Shaymin-Sky, Spectrier, Urshifu-Single-Strike, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned

[WATCHLIST]
:urshifu-rapid-strike: :magearna::volcarona: :zamazenta-crowned: :annihilape:

[SAMPLE SETS]
Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Aerial Ace

Kingambit can use Aerial Ace on its first turn to gain a valuable immunity to Ground-type moves and a resistance to Fighting-type moves, two types that it struggles against with its standard Dark / Steel typing. Additionally, Tera Ghost can be used to instantly change its type, avoiding any penalties from its low speed and letting it set up a Swords Dance against a Normal- or Fighting-type attacker.
Enamorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Substitute

A Fighting- or Steel-type attacker with substitute is nothing to laugh at, and Enamorus is able to take full advantage of its combination of Contrary and Superpower. Iron Head has the ability to give Enamorus access to an incredible defensive Steel typing, while Substitute lets it fire off consecutive Superpowers to boost its stats and protect against revenge killers.
Cresselia @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight

Cresselia's access to Levitate and an Electric typing mean it has no weaknesses, and powerful BoltBeam coverage alongside Calm Mind mean it can set up without fearing Ghost- or Dark-type revenge killers.
Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Toxapex can rid itself of its Ground- and Psychic-type weaknesses with Chilling Water, as well as being able to convert to the relatively neutral Normal-type to more effectively face off with some offensive Pokemon.
Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Salt Cure
- Recover
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock

Garganacl is able to retain its Rock-typing when it uses Stealth Rock or Salt Cure but is able to transform into a Fighting-type with access to a strong STAB body press. Alternatively, Recover can be used to rid Garganacl of its Ground, Grass, Water, and Steel weaknesses.

[COUNCIL]
:regirock: berry
:kyurem: pannu
:gastrodon-east: yokoisop
:zorua: jasprose
:yanmega: Kinetic1000
Have we any sample sets? I want to see just what I can do with all of this potential

berry

what kind
The council has decided that Protean Palace will be using the old variant of Protean going forward. This will allow Pokemon to change types multiple times per switch-in, which we believe will enable more offensive and defensive options in the format.

The council is currently discussing post-DLC bans, please stay tuned

berry

what kind
As promised, an update to the banlist. Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Base, Ho-Oh, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Lugia, Lunala, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Reshiram, Solgaleo, Terapagos, Zekrom were quickbanned from the format via a DLC box legendary sweep.

The council also voted on the following Pokemon:

Deoxys-Defense, Deoxys-Speed, Keldeo, and Raging Bolt will not be banned at this point in time. Darkrai will be allowed in the format going forward. Iron Boulder will be banned, and Shaymin-Sky will remain banned.

The current Pokemon banlist is as follows:

Arceus, Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, Deoxys-Attack, Deoxys-Base, Dialga, Dialga-Origin, Espathra, Eternatus, Flutter Mane, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Iron Boulder, Iron Bundle, Koraidon, Kyogre, Kyurem-Black, Kyurem-White, Landorus-Incarnate, Lugia, Lunala, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Necrozma-Dawn-Wings, Necrozma-Dusk-Mane, Palafin, Palkia, Palkia-Origin, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Reshiram, Shaymin-Sky, Solgaleo, Spectrier, Terapagos, Urshifu-Single-Strike, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zekrom

Kinetic

my focus is UNPARALLELED
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Some DLC 2 sets:

:deoxys-speed:
:sv/deoxys-speed:
Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ice
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Not much to say other than fast setup mon with Nasty Plot, BoltBeam, and Spikes.

:deoxys-defense:
:sv/deoxys-defense:
Deoxys-Defense @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Night Shade
- Spikes
- Teleport
- Recover
Defensive mon that has Spikes, good natural bulk, and a decent defensive typing no matter what type it is.

:roaring moon:
:sv/roaring moon:
Roaring Moon @ Choice Band
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Fast breaker with EdgeQuake coverage, Knock Off, and powerful pivoting in U-turn.

Also, sign up for the Protean Palace Kickoff Tour!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)