Metagame Shared Power [Under Re-Construction!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Weak Armor intended to trigger Defiant? It seems inconsistent with how Defiant works with other self-inflicted drops, e.g. Superpower or side-Bulldoze in doubles.

i don't think marvel scale is acting correctly in this metagame, i don't seem to be getting the def raise

Did your opponent have Mold Breaker or Teravolt by any chance?

Is Weak Armor intended to trigger Defiant? It seems inconsistent with how Defiant works with other self-inflicted drops, e.g. Superpower or side-Bulldoze in doubles.
Weak Armor isn't technically a self-inflicted drop, since it's triggered by opponents attacks rather than your own, so yes.

----------

So I've been using this team to pretty good success

https://pokepast.es/21b3885b96c49772

Magic Bounce is an issue, but most Magic Bounce teams are incapable of breaking it either, turning it into a test of patience. Meanwhile it's tailored to be able to crush nearly all Magic Guard archetypes thanks to the two Gastro Acid users.

Toxapex does most of the work, laying TSpikes (Which I'm running over Toxic to avoid getting my ass handed to me by Psychic Terrain teams) and smacking opposing mons with Gastro Acid + Block while slowly watching them die. Sableye is the preferred Prankster user due to it's ability to mega evolve in case the opponents team is running Dazzling/Majesty or if there's a dark type giving the team trouble, it's also a nifty solution to the fact that my team is somewhat vulnerable to Knock Off and conveniently circumvents the teams lack of a natural Magic Guard/Bounce user. Pyukumuku is there to get kills against physically offensive mons with Counter while absorbing damage, and provides the team with a secondary GastroBlocker and Unaware which is essential for dealing with Contrary teams. Trevenants set needs work, but Prankster Destiny Bond works wonders for taking out problem mons like Beat Up Weavile and KyuB (if Pex/Muku are out of the game) and Curse is a surprisingly effective way of sucking the life out of your opponent when used with a Sitrus Berry + Cheek Pouch. Dragonite is mostly there to provide Multiscale, but also works as a decent set-up sweeper against opposing offense teams that are harder for the rest of the team to wear down. Diggersby is pure utility, but it's hard to find a better set for it without giving up Cheek Pouch in my experience, which goes against the teams whole gimmick.

Last edited:
Has anyone said anything about how core enforcer works? I was considering a thousand waves-core enforcer zygarde set to break through poison heal mons.
like everything else that changes/negates ability, it will only remove the target mon's native ability, and not the shared abilities, i.e. it could only negate pheal on gliscor/breloom but not any teammates.
this is, of course, assuming that the opponent moved first that turn and it's not a switch or something, just normal core enforcer mechanics.

like everything else that changes/negates ability, it will only remove the target mon's native ability, and not the shared abilities, i.e. it could only negate pheal on gliscor/breloom but not any teammates.
this is, of course, assuming that the opponent moved first that turn and it's not a switch or something, just normal core enforcer mechanics.
Gastro acid and core enforcer do actually suppress all abilities - its worry seed that replaces the native ability.

Not true, Core Enforcer, Mold Breaker and Gastro Acid actually ignore all of the targets abilities. I think the difference is that ability altering moves affect a single ability, while ability negating move & abilities work on all of them. OP should probably be changed to reflect this.

OMG, I thought about this evil team.

MagicGuard + Sturdy + Harvest + Drought
With oran berry (restores 10 HP) on level 1 pokemon with 11 HP.

Of course, the team should get destroyed by a skill link team. But, that's not super common. I also encountered a Super Fang. I didn't played much games with it, though.
Solosis @ Oran Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
Level: 1
IVs: 1 HP / 0 Atk
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Confuse Ray
- Infestation

Phantump @ Oran Berry
Ability: Harvest
- Protect
- Worry Seed
- Pain Split
- Swagger

Nosepass @ Oran Berry
Ability: Sturdy
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Protect
- Block
- Swagger

Lopunny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Entrainment
- Return
- Healing Wish

Ninetales @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Hypnosis
- Foul Play

Gastrodon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Recover
- Whirlpool
- Toxic

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
OMG, I thought about this evil team.

MagicGuard + Sturdy + Harvest + Drought
With oran berry (restores 10 HP) on level 1 pokemon with 11 HP.

Of course, the team should get destroyed by a skill link team. But, that's not super common. I also encountered a Super Fang. I didn't played much games with it, though.
Solosis @ Oran Berry
- Protect
- Endeavor
- Confuse Ray
- Infestation

Phantump @ Oran Berry
Ability: Harvest
- Protect
- Worry Seed
- Pain Split
- Swagger

Nosepass @ Oran Berry
- Pain Split
- Protect
- Block
- Swagger

Lopunny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Entrainment
- Return
- Healing Wish

Ninetales @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Hypnosis
- Foul Play

Gastrodon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sticky Hold
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Recover
- Whirlpool
- Toxic
"not super common"..? isnt it like...the third best playstyle right now lmao. mold breaker too.

A while after my post one page ago and moments before I finished my shower, I brewed an idea that, with humble honesty, I believe it has little counterplay; battling a few has only firmed that belief, and thus I'll share my team here so that perhaps different points of view point out other flaws in it--or just agree that Unburden is absurd and needs to go.
Ladies and gentlemen~

Carracosta @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Hawlucha @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Power-up Punch

Haxorus @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance / Swords Dance
- Dual Chop
- Poison Jab
- Reversal

Alakazam @ Life Orb / Weakness Policy
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off / U-Turn

Crawdaunt @ Lansat Berry / Liechi Berry
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet / Superpower
The combo seems simple enough with Sturdy+Magic Guard+Unburden+anything that negates priority, but allow me to explain further.
The point of Sturdy, Queenly Majesty and Magic Guard is to allow Unburden to be effective, but the ability holders picked is what makes this team so spicy:
  1. For one, Crawdaunt boosts all STAB moves, and there are a lot of good STABs to boost in this team while it also makes good use of Unburden with berries. Liechi Berry is a good option to tear up a hole in their team, but Lansat Berry has the amusing Focus Energy boost--and don't take me for silly, I say amusing because I'm talking about +2 Adaptability Focus Energy Crabhammer, much better at fighting Unaware teams and might catch said users off-guard. Aqua Jet is still a great choice as it's still hindered by certain Scarf users, whereas Superpower helps deal with Ferrothorn or Water Absorb/Storm Drain Heatran.
  2. Alakazam takes care of bulky threats, is overall a good lead when you're not sure about theirs due to built-in Sturdy, and can play as either a simple damage dealer with Life Orb who doesn't mind Unaware teams or switch into a special sweeper, easy to activate when you're Psychic Type. Ever got annoyed by Landorus-T, Scizor and Mega Beedrill? This set cackles at their momentum, and no Sucker Punch or other priority is going to stop that.
  3. Rather than selecting a common Sturdy mon, such as Aggron, Crustle or Shuckle, I opted for a potential sweeper that goes well with its own ability as well as Unburden, and the following question helps clearing out my reasoning: what is the easiest way to trigger Sturdy? Getting hit by a Super Effective attack--and Carracosta has plenty of weaknesses that are not only common but that deal 4x damage against the tortoise. Weakness Policy abuses that and also activates Unburden after a guaranteed Shell Smash. The absurd amount of speed also doesn't seem to require priority, so rather than Aqua Jet I'm using Superpower to deal with Ferrothorn. It's this simple: if their team lacks Sturdy or Unaware and there is no Cinccino on the field, you win. Really, that's it.
  4. Tsareena has an interesting niche: not only it ceases any priority attack, I couldn't help but slap an Assault Vest onto those 72/98/98 defenses. Access to Power Whip and High Jump Kick makes it a threat to be considered, Rapid Spin helps remove Sticky Web, protecting the rest of the team from potential high base speed Scarf users. Knock Off helps deal with Eviolute users such as Chansey, whereas a well-timed U-Turn could swing the game towards you.
  5. Hawlucha is probably the most obvious choice here for Unburden. It's a naturally fast Swords Dancer, with two powerful STABs, further boosted by Adaptability, and Magic Guard makes sure it won't lose HP if HJK misses. PuP turns out a good finishing move against weakened Pokémon--it's not like you need anything else for coverage.
  6. Haxorus, however, is one I don't think I've ever seen here, and I'm glad I could unleash its potential in this OM! Here's what makes it so powerful compared to other Mold Breakers:
  • Good offensive stats, with 147 base attack and 97 base speed;
  • Unburden+Sturdy means it can boost itself and Reversal to 200BP;
  • STAB Multihit. Seriously, the utility value of Dual Chop is hard to measure in a meta full of Focus Sash users or other Sturdy or Multiscale teams.
Much like other Mold Breaker users, it has access to Poison Jab or Iron Head to deal with Fairy-types. Dragon Dance or Swords Dance is just a matter of preference: while Swords Dance strengthens the beast further beyond, Dragon Dance helps Haxorus against faster already active Unburden users such as Hawlucha.​

With all that being said, this team is not flawless: there are a few things you should keep in mind:
  1. Unaware still renders a good chunk of your team useless, not to mention Marvel Scale and Stamina. Against such teams, you must plan ahead certain potential matchups. Wishing Stall was dead may return mixed results.
  2. Intimidate teams. But let's be real: if you're running Intimidate teams, you're legitimately asking to be completely butchered by Contrary, Defiant or Competitive teams.
  3. Burn blows. Lum Berry isn't too ideal and there's no Guts to save you. If you're really desperate about it, you could remove Tsareena's Assault Vest and replace one of its moves for Aromatherapy, but I wouldn't advise that giving how quick the game flows in this meta. Also, because I haven't seen Will-o-Wisp being used much, getting burned most likely implies you were hit by Scald, in which case your Sturdy is gone and there's nothing you can do about it.
  4. I haven't ran into any Unnerve users yet, but it's easy to see why that would be a stone in your shoe. Still manageable, depending on who you're facing.
  5. If there's any Skill Link user still standing on their team and it's protected from priority and oneshotting, then it comes down to who boosts first: your Haxorus or their sweeper(s). Don't play around.
  6. RNG. Really, if you miss a High Jump Kick, a Crabhammer or a Dual Chop, chances are you're screwed. Sadly, changing any of those Pokémon for a Compoundeyes, No Guard or Victory Star user would do more harm than good.
A few replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-698512290
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-698520047
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-698511119 This is only meant to show just how hard this loses to Skill Link: really, it was an automatic loss.

Last edited:
"not super common"..? isnt it like...the third best playstyle right now lmao. mold breaker too.
Well, if it's the 3rd most played style, it's 30% of the teams at best. For me "super common" would be something above 50% of usage. If you beat 70% of the team, it means it's a force to be considered. (But I have to say I'm surprised skill link isn't played even more, I admit.)

Yeah, I know there is also mold breaker mons. But I faced very few of them.

I imagine that'll change as you get higher up on the ladder but yeah, there are a few counters, not that any team in this meta is perfect. Also, it can't do anything to Regenerator, so there's that.

A while after my post one page ago and moments before I finished my shower, I brewed an idea that, with humble honesty, I believe it has little counterplay; battling a few has only firmed that belief, and thus I'll share my team here so that perhaps different points of view point out other flaws in it--or just agree that Unburden is absurd and needs to go.
Ladies and gentlemen~

Carracosta @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Hawlucha @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Power-up Punch

Haxorus @ Liechi Berry
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance / Swords Dance
- Dual Chop
- Poison Jab
- Reversal

Alakazam @ Life Orb / Weakness Policy
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Tsareena @ Assault Vest
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off / U-Turn

Crawdaunt @ Lansat Berry / Liechi Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet / Superpower
The combo seems simple enough with Sturdy+Magic Guard+Unburden+anything that negates priority, but allow me to explain further.
The point of Sturdy, Queenly Majesty and Magic Guard is to allow Unburden to be effective, but the ability holders picked is what makes this team so spicy:
  1. For one, Crawdaunt boosts all STAB moves, and there are a lot of good STABs to boost in this team while it also makes good use of Unburden with berries. Liechi Berry is a good option to tear up a hole in their team, but Lansat Berry has the amusing Focus Energy boost--and don't take me for silly, I say amusing because I'm talking about +2 Adaptability Focus Energy Crabhammer, much better at fighting Unaware teams and might catch said users off-guard. Aqua Jet is still a great choice as it's still hindered by certain Scarf users, whereas Superpower helps deal with Ferrothorn or Water Absorb/Storm Drain Heatran.
  2. Alakazam takes care of bulky threats, is overall a good lead when you're not sure about theirs due to built-in Sturdy, and can play as either a simple damage dealer with Life Orb who doesn't mind Unaware teams or switch into a special sweeper, easy to activate when you're Psychic Type. Ever got annoyed by Landorus-T, Scizor and Mega Beedrill? This set cackles at their momentum, and no Sucker Punch or other priority is going to stop that.
  3. Rather than selecting a common Sturdy mon, such as Aggron, Crustle or Shuckle, I opted for a potential sweeper that goes well with its own ability as well as Unburden, and the following question helps clearing out my reasoning: what is the easiest way to trigger Sturdy? Getting hit by a Super Effective attack--and Carracosta has plenty of weaknesses that are not only common but that deal 4x damage against the tortoise. Weakness Policy abuses that and also activates Unburden after a guaranteed Shell Smash. The absurd amount of speed also doesn't seem to require priority, so rather than Aqua Jet I'm using Superpower to deal with Ferrothorn. It's this simple: if their team lacks Sturdy or Unaware and there is no Cinccino on the field, you win. Really, that's it.
  4. Tsareena has an interesting niche: not only it ceases any priority attack, I couldn't help but slap an Assault Vest onto those 72/98/98 defenses. Access to Power Whip and High Jump Kick makes it a threat to be considered, Rapid Spin helps remove Sticky Web, protecting the rest of the team from potential high base speed Scarf users. Knock Off helps deal with Eviolute users such as Chansey, whereas a well-timed U-Turn could swing the game towards you.
  5. Hawlucha is probably the most obvious choice here for Unburden. It's a naturally fast Swords Dancer, with two powerful STABs, further boosted by Adaptability, and Magic Guard makes sure it won't lose HP if HJK misses. PuP turns out a good finishing move against weakened Pokémon--it's not like you need anything else for coverage.
  6. Haxorus, however, is one I don't think I've ever seen here, and I'm glad I could unleash its potential in this OM! Here's what makes it so powerful compared to other Mold Breakers:
  • Good offensive stats, with 147 base attack and 97 base speed;
  • Unburden+Sturdy means it can boost itself and Reversal to 200BP;
  • STAB Multihit. Seriously, the utility value of Dual Chop is hard to measure in a meta full of Focus Sash users or other Sturdy or Multiscale teams.
Much like other Mold Breaker users, it has access to Poison Jab or Iron Head to deal with Fairy-types. Dragon Dance or Swords Dance is just a matter of preference: while Swords Dance strengthens the beast further beyond, Dragon Dance helps Haxorus against faster already active Unburden users such as Hawlucha.​

With all that being said, this team is not flawless: there are a few things you should keep in mind:
  1. Unaware still renders a good chunk of your team useless, not to mention Marvel Scale and Stamina. Against such teams, you must plan ahead certain potential matchups. Wishing Stall was dead may return mixed results.
  2. Intimidate teams. But let's be real: if you're running Intimidate teams, you're legitimately asking to be completely butchered by Contrary, Defiant or Competitive teams.
  3. Burn blows. Lum Berry isn't too ideal and there's no Guts to save you. If you're really desperate about it, you could remove Tsareena's Assault Vest and replace one of its moves for Aromatherapy, but I wouldn't advise that giving how quick the game flows in this meta. Also, because I haven't seen Will-o-Wisp being used much, getting burned most likely implies you were hit by Scald, in which case your Sturdy is gone and there's nothing you can do about it.
  4. I haven't ran into any Unnerve users yet, but it's easy to see why that would be a stone in your shoe. Still manageable, depending on who you're facing.
  5. If there's any Skill Link user still standing on their team and it's protected from priority and oneshotting, then it comes down to who boosts first: your Haxorus or their sweeper(s). Don't play around.
  6. RNG. Really, if you miss a High Jump Kick, a Crabhammer or a Dual Chop, chances are you're screwed. Sadly, changing any of those Pokémon for a Compoundeyes, No Guard or Victory Star user would do more harm than good.
I may fix the lack of replay sometime. Real life calls...
I mentioned Haxorus once but didn't get much of a response, it is a solid mon though. It doesn't fit onto as many playstyles on KyuB but every once in a while it ends up being the better option. Hax is also *slightly* faster so it'll beat KyuB on opposing Unburden teams. Being that it's your only real answer to Unaware though, I'd imagine a lot of games against those teams revolve around keeping Haxorus healthy.

Also yeah, Skill link's a pain but that's a given.

I mentioned Haxorus once but didn't get much of a response, it is a solid mon though. It doesn't fit onto as many playstyles on KyuB but every once in a while it ends up being the better option. Hax is also *slightly* faster so it'll beat KyuB on opposing Unburden teams. Being that it's your only real answer to Unaware though, I'd imagine a lot of games against those teams revolve around keeping Haxorus healthy.
Oh, good call, then!
Also, against Unaware teams, I attempt to weaken their team first before going for the setup, although there isn't a lot of time to afford weakening it for too long.

The metagame has been live for about 24 hours now, and the jury is out on a lot of things. I really want to get some decisions out there before the end of the first week in the ladder. I want to promote a healthy metagame whom’s banlist abides by the official Smogon tiering policy. Without further ado, here it goes:

Stall

Introduction
Many players are familiar with the definition of stall, which is to win by gradually wearing down the opponent rather than by dealing a maximal damage output. In Shared Power, Magic Guard is arguably the most common ability, and it completely negates this concept. With no way to actually wear down anything slowly, stall is much less effective on paper in Shared Power, and as such, many players (including myself) assumed it would just be another irrelevant playstyle in an offensive driven metagame. However, stall is played much, much differently in Shared Power. Teams often rely on an “infinite switching” strategy with Regenerator, Magic Guard, and Multiscale, forcing the opponent to do nothing except waste their own PP as their moves fail to have enough power to break through. The overall concept of this playstyle is not consistent with what “real” stall is and may actually fit the criteria of unhealthy in the Smogon tiering philosophy. I will go into this later on in my post.

Is it good? How good is it?
Saying stall is a “horrible playstyle” was a hyperbole that we’ve all come to realize in this metagame. It can certainly hold its own and is an absolutely valid playstyle. The concept of Regenerator, Multiscale, Magic Guard, Stamina, and other defensive abilities on every single Pokemon sounds very threatening on paper. Stall in SP is nothing like traditional stall in the standard tiers (will go over this soon) and it has a consistent, although not great matchup against most offensive playstyles. Despite still succumbing to playstyles like Guts spam and Contrary due to their frequent inclusion of Kyurem-Black, it is able to beat Skill Link, Trick Room, among many other playstyles. So in short, stall is indeed quite good in this metagame, and how good it is doesn’t matter- that will be evident in the next point.

Is stall unhealthy in this metagame?
Battles lasting upwards of hundreds of turns is not something that is unheard of; however, in Shared Power, this is amplified by the omnipresence of Regenerator on these types of teams, making games usually come down to who has the most added sum of PP. Stall vs stall is an absolutely disgusting matchup, and honestly, every time a matchup like this occurs the game should just be tied because nobody wants to play a 5,000 turn game. I am not using hyperbole. I will use the rest of this section to outline the definition of “unhealthy” in the tiering philosophy.

IV.) Unhealthy - elements that are neither uncompetitive nor broken, yet deemed undesirable for the metagame such that they inhibit "skillful play" to a large extent
- These are elements that may not limit either team building or battling skill enough individually, but combine to cause an effect that is undesirable for the metagame.

Switching over and over again inhibits skillful play- usually battles like this do not reflect on the more skillful player winning over the lesser skilled player. As previously stated, battles involving this playstyle usually result in endless PP wars. It takes no skill to play or build this playstyle- and this is something that should be considered heading into the future of the metagame. Is this something we really want?

What do we do about it?
If we do identify this playstyle as unhealthy, the ideal thing to is to ban the element that is deemed to make it unhealthy. This isn’t the problem of a single ability, but rather the collective sum of a specific combination that is unhealthy in Shared Power. This is as follows:

• Multiscale
  • Magic Guard
  • Stamina
  • Regenerator
  • Unaware
  • Prankster
This is just my hot take on the current state of the metagame. I can see the inhibition of stall clearing the way for a lot of more fun playstyles to really shine. What do you all think?

I think I found a bit of an issue regarding Pressure in this Metagame. (Apologies if this isn't the right place to put this or if I'm somehow wrong and this isn't a bug)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-698328075
In the above battle, (starting at around turn 24) I was attempting to PP stall a Lycanroc out of Stone Edges, while my Zapdos provided pressure support to make the task easier. On Turn 25, Lycanroc had used its 4th (and presumably last) Stone Edge, but then proceeded to use a fifth one on turn 26, knocking out my Chansey. The Stone Edges occurred on turns 3, 12, 14, 25, and 26, and unless I'm horribly mistaken on how Pressure works, I have no idea how the Lycanroc was able to use 5 of them.

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
The metagame has been live for about 24 hours now, and the jury is out on a lot of things. I really want to get some decisions out there before the end of the first week in the ladder. I want to promote a healthy metagame whom’s banlist abides by the official Smogon tiering policy. Without further ado, here it goes:

Stall

Introduction
Many players are familiar with the definition of stall, which is to win by gradually wearing down the opponent rather than by dealing a maximal damage output. In Shared Power, Magic Guard is arguably the most common ability, and it completely negates this concept. With no way to actually wear down anything slowly, stall is much less effective on paper in Shared Power, and as such, many players (including myself) assumed it would just be another irrelevant playstyle in an offensive driven metagame. However, stall is played much, much differently in Shared Power. Teams often rely on an “infinite switching” strategy with Regenerator, Magic Guard, and Multiscale, forcing the opponent to do nothing except waste their own PP as their moves fail to have enough power to break through. The overall concept of this playstyle is not consistent with what “real” stall is and may actually fit the criteria of unhealthy in the Smogon tiering philosophy. I will go into this later on in my post.

Is it good? How good is it?
Saying stall is a “horrible playstyle” was a hyperbole that we’ve all come to realize in this metagame. It can certainly hold its own and is an absolutely valid playstyle. The concept of Regenerator, Multiscale, Magic Guard, Stamina, and other defensive abilities on every single Pokemon sounds very threatening on paper. Stall in SP is nothing like traditional stall in the standard tiers (will go over this soon) and it has a consistent, although not great matchup against most offensive playstyles. Despite still succumbing to playstyles like Guts spam and Contrary due to their frequent inclusion of Kyurem-Black, it is able to beat Skill Link, Trick Room, among many other playstyles. So in short, stall is indeed quite good in this metagame, and how good it is doesn’t matter- that will be evident in the next point.

Is stall unhealthy in this metagame?
Battles lasting upwards of hundreds of turns is not something that is unheard of; however, in Shared Power, this is amplified by the omnipresence of Regenerator on these types of teams, making games usually come down to who has the most added sum of PP. Stall vs stall is an absolutely disgusting matchup, and honestly, every time a matchup like this occurs the game should just be tied because nobody wants to play a 5,000 turn game. I am not using hyperbole. I will use the rest of this section to outline the definition of “unhealthy” in the tiering philosophy.

IV.) Unhealthy - elements that are neither uncompetitive nor broken, yet deemed undesirable for the metagame such that they inhibit "skillful play" to a large extent
- These are elements that may not limit either team building or battling skill enough individually, but combine to cause an effect that is undesirable for the metagame.

Switching over and over again inhibits skillful play- usually battles like this do not reflect on the more skillful player winning over the lesser skilled player. As previously stated, battles involving this playstyle usually result in endless PP wars. It takes no skill to play or build this playstyle- and this is something that should be considered heading into the future of the metagame. Is this something we really want?

What do we do about it?
If we do identify this playstyle as unhealthy, the ideal thing to is to ban the element that is deemed to make it unhealthy. This isn’t the problem of a single ability, but rather the collective sum of a specific combination that is unhealthy in Shared Power. This is as follows:

• Multiscale
  • Magic Guard
  • Stamina
  • Regenerator
  • Unaware
  • Prankster
This is just my hot take on the current state of the metagame. I can see the inhibition of stall clearing the way for a lot of more fun playstyles to really shine. What do you all think?
Finally you recognize stall as a very good playstyle, I have been saying for quite some time that stall would be very good with the main core of regenerator/magicguard/multiscale. Having topped the ladder and the nearest player is 100 points below me, I can safely say stall is the most reliable and consistent playstyle. It is one of the best playstyles and actually requires the most skill out of every playstyle in SP because instead of mindlessly clicking linear moves, it adds back the skill of switching and other elements which were kind of taken away do to how offensive the metagame is. Stall is not broken, its just the metagame has set it up to thrive. For example there are many powerful stall breakers like Kyurem-B, unaware/skill link, Haxorus, and stakeout however most of these things lose to speed offense which is what the majority of the playerbase uses. I do agree that the stall v stall matchup is very cancerous, but stall is needed to balance the meta and prevent things like cloyster from destroying the metagame. However before anything about stall is done, speed playstyles need to be adressed. Unburden, quickfeet, and weak armor are the real problematic abilities and is whats leading to stall dominating the meta. This is because the speed and power these abilities give can invalidate offensive checks to stall like stakeout. The problem with the metagame is that its so matchup based, stall > speed HO > sheer offense, its like rock paper scissors. Because most people use speed hyper offense, sheer offense will not be used much, thus stall will continue to win majority of the games.

TLDR: The abilities that boost speed (Unburden, Quick Feet, and Weak Armor) should be banned, and then Powerful Offense will be used more which will make stall worse, however the metagame will still most likely be matchup based and I dont think anything can be done to fix this.

I don't think Stall's real power in this metagame comes from endless switching, it can actually wall threats while dealing damage with attacks. Maybe I haven't watched/played enough battles, but I don't think I've seen stall resorting to endless switching once (when fighting Offense, of course). Also, I don't understand why Stamina was even brought up - it's not a tool for endless switching, it's used to actually wall pokémons. I find problem in this statement - "I can see the inhibition of stall clearing the way for a lot of more fun playstyles to really shine.". Are we talking about stall because it's overpowered/unhealthy or because fighting stall is not fun? I fear that stall, an already fragile yet consistent playstyle in a metagame so full of inconsistent playstyles, is going to be ended in the name of preventing unhealthy endless switching battles, when it needs these tools to simply wall threats while slowly dealing damage.

Anyway, if endless switching is the unhealthiness brought by stall, banning Regenator should be enough (although teams using it legitimately would be needlessly affected).

Just sticking my head in again now that I can confidently say that Stall is far better than people give it credit for.

I know it's early days so not the most impressive feat but peaking the ladder certainly proves that it is a viable strategy.
View attachment 100212
Also my win rate is actually far more impressive than my account would prove as I tested multiple other teams 2-3 times each before I decided to grind on Stall to prove a point.

Anyway, seeing as I've ticked that off the list and have so many other teams I'd like to try throughout this busy month, may as well throw it all out there for others to use/prepare for. Haaku. feel free to add this to the Sample Teams.

Stamina + Poison Heal + Marvel Scale + Prism Armor + Unaware + Prankster/Magic Bounce
Mudsdale @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Roost

Milotic @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Dragon Tail
- Scald
- Recover

Necrozma @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Prism Armor
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Photon Geyser
- Moonlight
- Signal Beam

Clefable @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Unaware
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Moonblast

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
Concept is reasonably straight forward. First three pokemon form the Defence boosting core, with Toxic Orb + Marvel Scale giving and initial defence boost for the physical walls to survive the initial hit before proceeding to rake in Stamina boosts between Recovery and Protect with Poison Heal. The two win cons both run Calm Mind alongside this Def boosting core to boost both defences while healing with PH to the unbreakable point which cannot be surpasses due to Unaware. Stored Power on Clefable scales up to absurd power levels with Stamina and Calm Mind where as Photon Geyser on Necrozma is used to swiftly defeat opposing teams ignoring the likes of Multiscale, Sturdy, Unaware and more. Prism Armor is also really nice under the radar and makes the set up far harder to stop. Lastly I've thrown in Mega Sableye for Magic Bounce to prevent Taunt, while also having nice typing to shut down the Facade teams I'm sure you're all too familiar with. Prankster pre mega also allows for a free Calm Mind against teams where I can set up a first turn sweep. Sableye's slot is fairly flexible though, with Dragonite being likely the best replacement due to the absurd power of Multiscale, though I initially was using Weavile to Pressure Stall and trap opposing Swoobats and other threats.

Have a lovely month people!
Well people having trouble against this team please run merciless as a must on your team,
Ambipom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Tail Slap
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Durant @ Focus Sash
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- X-Scissor
- Crunch

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Pursuit

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Drill Run

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Venoshock
- Baneful Bunker
- Haze

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-698346529

able to overcome multiscale plus marvel scale plus stamina, ambipom is scarf for all the dazzling teams, the only team this has trouble with in my opinion is weak armor endure dazzling team , . which is always a 50-50. but doublade and toxapex can take damage and return or haze maybe ?

I got to 4th on the ladder with this, please ignore the GXE as i was experimenting random teams in this user name
1517631764402.png

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
....what. stall is not an issue. the only reason stall is even viable right now is because unburden, quick feet, and weak armor completely shaft any attempts at running teams designed to take down stall. and even then its only that stamina team thats lurking around thats the issue. all other stall completely sucks. like...REALLY sucks. like...6-0ed by a cincinno-sucks.

the only times ive lost to that stall team is when i create teams to deal with the bigger issues i just mentioned. idk why your trying to take action on a specific stall team (you pointing out stamina even further proves this) when im pretty sure everyone is in agreement with me that the speed trio(unburden, quick feet, and weak armor) needs to be removed.

edit: maybe i should mention i agree that team is irritating to face, and maybe once the trio is gone we can look into it, but as ive mentioned, its not the biggest issue right now. also i know this meta is still newly put on the ladder, but that doesn't mean you should just bring up more issues to address when the elephants in the room are still here.

on top of this ive heard and expeirenced that sturdy is quite annoying. basically forcing you to run skill link mons or techy just to beat them. but thats like...the least of our worries right now bringing it up for the sake of bringing it up.

back on the trio, you mention stall being unhealthy, but tbh, whats REALLY unhealthy for the meta is a team with a inherent advantage over the other because every mon has a 1.5/2x speed boost compared to you, and their SLOWEST mon outspeeds your FASTEST mon. THAT is unhealthy. especially with abilities that completely nullify priority and have abilities that let them nuke your team to death. and im getting quite annoyed its being ignored for so long and persistently. and its even more annoying when a specific stall team is being brought up as uncompetative, when clearly there is a much bigger issue here.

im sorry if i sound a bit hostile in this post. but ive practically been throwing attention to these three abilities since this meta came out and even now when everyone is agreeing, and we finally have proof they dominate the meta... its still being ignored. so like...whats going on.

Last edited:
Ok. I don't really want to discuss about how Stall is unhealthy or not, but I want to address 2 Abilities that I think ARE problematic based on observation.

1. Unburden - I think everyone agrees this is a problem and I can see why. Tbh, I don't think we need to outright ban Weak Armor and Quick Feet at once but Unburden is obviously an issue that needs to be addressed ASAP.

2. Multiscale - seriously, I don't get why this Ability is still not limited. Multiscale is VERY restricting to teambuilding to the point that you are FORCED to run Skill Link or Moldy. It's a x2 Multiplier to BOTH defenses that can be used multiple times as long as your health is full, while stuff like Stamina or Marvel Scale is "only" x1.5 multiplier. Is that fair? Not for me. And do you think this Ability is only used in Stall? NO, because in HO vs HO, the one with Multiscale has an advantage because Multiscale turns 2HKO into 3HKO easily. "But you have to carry a specific mon." Yeah, that specific mon has very good stats, wide movepool including recovery, ddance and espeed, not a bad typing considering Stealth Rock is rare and, ofc, multiscale which makes your team's life way easier. Imo, this is a problem, an APPARENT problem.

Ttttteeeee is my alt.
Photo editing_Cloud20180203.jpg

I've tried a gale wings team and a pure hax team(lol),but I find the team below the most consistent.
NestorKennard this is the team you mentioned in your post.
https://pokepast.es/49658de4dcb7014f
This is actually not my original team.I just copy someone's team I fought on the ladder and does a slight edit.
Hustle+no guard for the power and reliability.Durant and doublade are to weaken my opponent as much as possible.Pursuit on doublade to take out some dangerous threats.Dazzling is dazzling.Cloyster is cloyster.It just does its usual stuff.Donate skill link to deal with all the sashes,multiscale and sturdy.
The true star of this team is Cincinno.With endure+unburden+liechi berry.It outspeed and Ohko everything not a steel type(so I have other team members to weaken them)with all the multihit moves.I use endure cause it don't care about SR and spikes,skill link or any moldy mon.I sweep with it almost every time.
Hitmonlee is my panic button.With endure+red card it force out dangerous sweepers.Donate unburden to cincinno.
This team has 3 weaknesses:
1:Stamina,maybe stall in general
Click x when you see a mudsdale in the opposing team.
2:Endure+weak armor
Hitmonlee can force them out once,but they can do it again.Almost impossible to win.
3:Toxic spikes
This is the kind of hazard that bypass endure.If hitmonlee doesn't get a chance to spin its GG.

Enjoy using this team to rip all those offensive teams.
Last words:Unburden and weakarmor are broken.Please ban.
Edit:maybe priority immunity is the real issue.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I think I was the one who showed Stone evil just how nasty Weak armor + Defiant is, especially with a redundant Unburden failsafe. The latter is necessary to not be completely shrugged off by specially oriented teams, as you can try some SD + Sash shenanigans. A surprising number of 'mons also get Endure; for example, Haxorus can tank any attack and buff up to the extreme with Weak + Defiant, and to add insult to injury, can even stack Unburden with a Berry. I was in turn showed this magical technique by gmfc who promptly swept me back when I was trying a good old fashioned Guts team.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Ok. I don't really want to discuss about how Stall is unhealthy or not, but I want to address 2 Abilities that I think ARE problematic based on observation.

1. Unburden - I think everyone agrees this is a problem and I can see why. Tbh, I don't think we need to outright ban Weak Armor and Quick Feet at once but Unburden is obviously an issue that needs to be addressed ASAP.

2. Multiscale - seriously, I don't get why this Ability is still not limited. Multiscale is VERY restricting to teambuilding to the point that you are FORCED to run Skill Link or Moldy. It's a x2 Multiplier to BOTH defenses that can be used multiple times as long as your health is full, while stuff like Stamina or Marvel Scale is "only" x1.5 multiplier. Is that fair? Not for me. And do you think this Ability is only used in Stall? NO, because in HO vs HO, the one with Multiscale has an advantage because Multiscale turns 2HKO into 3HKO easily. "But you have to carry a specific mon." Yeah, that specific mon has very good stats, wide movepool including recovery, ddance and espeed, not a bad typing considering Stealth Rock is rare and, ofc, multiscale which makes your team's life way easier. Imo, this is a problem, an APPARENT problem.
honestly without multiscale this meta would become so stale. its the one case where id let "broken checking broken" slide. without it, shit like guts+toxic boost, hustle+toughdapt and the like will have free rein to do whatever they like, and literally 6-0 teams. if anything, id consider magic guard more for suspect, since its widespread, AND is enabling multiscale to be such a problem.

without multiscale, the meta would either become HO to the point of unplayability, or we would have to ban EVERY boosting ability just so the meta doesn't seriously cave in on itself due to the power creep significantly higher then any meta we have ever had.

but this does bring me to the point that magic guard is an issue, enabling sturdy and multiscale to be more problematic then they should be, while also providing MASSIVE benefits to mons who utilize recoil, mons who use life orb, mons who fear SR, abilities like guts, flame boost, and etc, the list goes on. it just provides way too much utility. so id say rather then multiscale, id consider magic guard the problem enabling multiscale. and out of the two, magic guard's removal wouldnt have nearly a horrendously negative effect as removing multiscale.

bounce might become an issue afterwards, but id prefer magic bounce+multiscale/sturdy over magic guard+sturdy. because at least we have viable mold breaker stealth rockers

everythings being tossed around so im just going to try to address stuff in order so we know whats going on rn:

current issues:
unburden
magic guard+multiscale
i consider these to be the two HUGE issues right now,

magic guard+sturdy
quick feet
i consider these to be the "please put these next on the list"

weak armor
kyurem B
that one stall team...?
i consider these the "not a big issue compared to the rest, but still an issue"
this is going by my experience, so obs bias plays a big part, but i wanted to be as neutral as possible, and ive prob missed stuff.

Last edited:
so I've been having a blast with this super gimmicky team I made

Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Trick

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Golisopod @ Life Orb
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- First Impression
- Aqua Jet

Excadrill @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Dragalge @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Scald

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

While there is definitely room to improve (especially over drill and dragalge) the premise of the team is regenerator emergency exit spam which sounds terrible on paper, but is very fun in practice. My favorite part is that Blacephalon's Mind blown in conjunction with the regen exit essentially makes it part of a volt turn core and can guarantee it won't get revenge killed by a pursuit trapper while functioning as a revenge killer itself. Double-switching (especially with rocks up) can help you generate HP for free so most of the time, your pokemon will be at 60-80% HP allowing for some class-A bullshit tom-fuckery.

also this happened while I was playing: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-698388670 one turns 19 and 23, when excadrill was below half, emergency exit didn't allow for the typical double-switch for some reason. If this is a bug or something intentional please let me know or fix it.

and in this battle https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-698394023 emergency exit only activated when non-attacking damage caused the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)