Project Monotype Teambuilding Competition V3.2 [index]

There was no way I could not participate in this lol.

Semi-TR Offensive Ground
Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

Claydol @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Trick Room
- Light Screen
- Explosion

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Hippowdon @ Leftovers / Eject Button
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

So I decided to actually take a different route from the other teams posted. I wanted to make sure Camerupt was the star of this team, and was abused to its fullest potential. The biggest thing holding it back was its speed, so with the aid of Trick Room (and Screens for that matter) it's able to become a lot more threatening. I also decided to actually run sand as opposed to running sandless, which admitidly was difficult to pull off since you lose out on other quirky options, but Excadrill, to put it simply, threatens such a large quantity of the metagame due to its coveted speed tier under sand and raw wallbreaking power. Doing that also allows me to run both Light Screen and Reflect on Calydol as opposed to being forced to put SR on it, so even if I can't Trick Room at that moment, I'm able to create other sweeping opportunities rather easily. Without further delay, I'll get into the more in-depth details and rationality behind each of the Pokemon I've chosen:

Mega Camerupt was one of the best Megas to run on Ground teams in gen 6, thanks to its amazing offensive typing, special wallbreaking power, and its immunity to burns. In gen 7, while it has definitely declined from its former glory, Trick Room turns it into a massive threat that can now not only hit absurdly hard and limit switches, but it can now actually outspeed things. While giving it speed investment almost seems counter-intuitive, it's there to outspeed Toxapex outside of Trick Room, as well as Slowbro and Ferrothorn, who would otherwise be pretty annoying to not be able to stay into. The reasoning behind that is you want to save you're immediate Trick Room abuse until the very last second, once things that would be problematic for it are out. Even with investment, you're still slower than a good 90% of the metagame. As for its moves, I think the attacks are pretty self-explanatory, but Rock Slide is used over Ancient Power to guarantee an OHKO on Volcarona if it manages to get to +1 (when with Mega Camel being Modest). Substitute I decided to use over additional coverage (which in all honesty is not relaly necessary) or Toxic/SR because its able to give Mega Camel an emergency blanket to stay in for at least 1 extra turn to something that would otherwise pressure it out, and be able to deal a massive amount of damage. It also comes in handy in the case that Breloom tries to stop your TR sweep with a Spore if its sash is in tact. All around, Mega Camerupt is absurdly strong, and Trick Room abuse makes it all the more threatening!

Seismitoad is absolutely mandatory on this team, to cover up Mega Camerupt (and 4/6 of the rest of the teams) Water weakness. It's also chosen over Gastrodon mainly to check Azumarill, but to also give me a little extra offensive prowess and utility. Choice Specs would be an understandable item to run over AV, however I would not be guaranteeing or changing any kills I would already be making without it, so the extra bulk if anything I found to be more reliable. The given EV spread is meant to allow it to outrun Adamant non-scarf Tapu Bulu, and be able to KO with Sludge Wave, as well as Adamant Diggersby. Otherwise, pretty clear what each attacking move is chosen for, however Knock Off is mandatory in order for Mega Camerupt to break Porygon2 reliably, who would otherwise either threaten or hard wall me. Seismitoad, while underhwhelming, blanket checks a lot of the problems my team would have without it.
Claydol is the most quirky part of this team, and it's able to seriously buff Mega Camerupt. While otherwise, there is really no point in using this, in this case it's proven to work nicely. Claydol has 2 jobs, to set up screens early match, and to late match set up Trick Room for Mega Camerupt to sweep. Explosion is to allow it not only to give Mega Camerupt a free switch-in and abuse a maximum of 4 turns under TR, but its able to deal heavy damage to anything that decides to stay in against it and let it set up.

Garchomp's slot was the most difficult one to decide on, as I was also considering Bandoswine and Landorus-T (either Rockium, Gravity, or both) as physical wallbreakers. The facts that eventually led me to make my decision was Garchomp's speed tier outside of TR, its strong capability to threaten quite a bit with Z-Outrage, and the role it can play in the Dragon matchup without needing to rely on Camerupt to check Mega Charizard Y (who is way too prevalent right now to not have a dedicated check to). While it would have been nice to have a 2nd reliable TR abuser (outside of Excadrill not under sand arguably), Garchomp proved to be a lot more consistent, and in general I'm able to easily break/threaten more things all around than I would either of those two. Light Screens only makes it all the more dangerous, as it's able to set up against Pokemon it normally would not be able to, such as Keldeo or Rotom-W. It's Z-Move has fantastic generla damage output, and it allows me to additionally 1 time use a Dragon attack without risking being locked.
While it could seem odd I'm running sand on a TR team, any other scarfer to use outside of that I found to be quite underwhelming (Garchomp, Krook, and Landorus-T don't threaten nearly as much as Excadrill under sand). Not to mention, with only 1 really viable TR setter, who arguably is not amazing as it is, abusing a full-TR team would not be as consistent. That is why I decided to run Hippowdon, who sets sand, set up Rocks, and spreads Toxic onto common defoggers as walls, and Excadrill, who is one of my sweeping/cleaning options that can work proficiently outside of TR. It also helps tremendously against Ice, Psychic, Fairy, Water, and Dragon, all of which I would have more trouble with to varying degrees otherwise. To put it plainly, Excadrill under sand does so much more than anytihng on a sandless team could ever do, you have a sweeper and a wallbreaker all in one (who technically is also able to abuse TR not under sand, since 275 speed is nothing impressive, and quite a bit actually outspeed it otherwise).

Last edited:
The voting phase has ended, congratulations to Alpha-Harpreet for winning Cycle 23!

Alpha-Harpreet: 6
Namranan: 0
Dece1t: 1

Cycle 24 will be up soon, tagging Acast to merge this with the Index thread

Mega Latias Offense
Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Focus Blast / Aura Sphere
- Rock Polish

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Psychic
- Energy Ball / Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Counter

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Blue Flare

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick

This is imo probably the most optimal layout for a more offensive Psychic team, it has a sufficient amount of wallbreakers (in Gothitelle and Mewnium-Z Mew), speed control, (Victini, Offensive Deoxys. and Alakazam to a certain extent), and then you have Mega Latias as the main wincon in most matches. The team has great synergy together and really does not struggle against much aside from Dark and Ghost (which are pretty much given as is). The team's main focus is to pave the way for Mega Latias to safely boost and sweep from there.

Mew is meant to serve as the main walbreaker, as well as a secondary wincon. Psychic and Fighting covers pretty much the entire meta for at least neutral damage bar Mega Sableye, and thanks to Nasty Plot it has the ability to easily threaten most walls reliably. Genesis Supernova is not only an absurdly powerful z-move that can nuke one very troublesome wall per match, while also setting up Psychic terrain to further boost it and the rest of the teams stabs and block priority. Rock Polish allows it to double its speed at any given moment and clean late game if need be. Focus Blast can be subbed out for Aura Sphere, however I prefer the extra buff in power to be able to threaten non AV Celesteela and Mega Scizor easier without needed to max out my Special Attack.

Offensive Deoxys-S is a set people really do not prepare for; it's able to land some very nice surprise kills while also being the fastest reliable SR setter available in Monotype. For instance, Psycho Boost is able to easily OHKO Scarf Tapu Bulu after SR (which it outspeeds), Tapu Koko, and have a decent chance to 2KO Hippowdon and Zapdos. Flash Cannon is to be able to check Mega Diancie, who otherwise would undoubtedly cause problems for the team, and Focus Blast allows it to break past common Steel and Dark types such as Tyranitar, Heatran, and Ferrothorn.

Alakazam is surprisingly a great blanket check to such a large array of fast Physical threats (most notably Mega Sharpedo and Bisharp) thanks to its ability Magic Guard (which allows it to keep its Focus Sash in tact regardless of hazards or weather damage) and access to Counter. Aside from that, its base speed of 372 is pretty above average so its able to revenge kill a pretty good chunk of the non-scarf meta. Psychic and Focus Blast are pretty much required, however what's nice is, for the last slot, you can run really any coverage you feel you're lacking. I have Energy Ball to better threaten the likes of Seismitoad, Manaphy, and Mamoswine, however Shadow Ball can be used inversely to revenge kill Latios, Mega Gardevoir, and Alolan Marowak after a small amount of prior damage.

Mega Latias, even without speed investment, is ridiculously bulky. This allows it to set up Calm Mind relatively easily as is, and be able to sweep late game. Stored Power is used over Ice Beam since, when a few boost have been accumulated, it would be able to hit the same things if not much stronger. Thunderbolt gives it an edge against Flying types (Mantine being a biggie since haze can stop sweeps) and allows it to hit for neutral damage against Dark (the only thing completely immune to Stored Power). Max Speed allows it to outspeed a very good chunk of the metagame, making it much harder to revenge kill (so sweeps can't be stopped by Garchomp, Kyurem-B, and others that would normally outspeed bulkier sets). Roost lets it stay healthy, and be able to accumulate Calm Minds with a lot less risks otherwise.

Much like Alakazam to check Mega Sharpedo, Victini is mandatory in order to have any chance against Bug. Regardless though, its by no means a let down for a revenge killer thanks to its great coverage, offensive typing, and extremely strong V-Create. Originally I was considering Choice Band for more physical firepower, however I felt with Both Mew and Gothitelle I had more than enough wallbreaking power to cover pretty much the entire meta in some way, shape, or form. It's good to note Blue Flare is used to easier sweep Steel and Bug without needing to switch repeatedly after V-Create drops.

Gothitelle is such a fun Pokemon to use thanks to its trapping ability. It's basically guaranteed to be able to trap and successfully kill 1 threat per game, largely due to its passable bulk, forceful trick, and satisfactory coverage. In that aspect it's a huge asset this team has, taking a lot of pressure off of Mew and Mega Latias, and in general it makes most matchups across the board a lot more doable (given you can pick and choose who you want to trap and specifically take out).

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
~~Mega Latias Balance~~
Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Victini @ Choice Band
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Blue Flare
- U-turn

Slowbro @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off

Wobbuffet @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Encore

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Trick
- Defog

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Toxic

Overview
Since Mega Latias is such a good set up sweeper with calm mind but at the same time it has threats like hydreigon,Mega sharpedo to take care of, for it to set up and act as a wincon for the team,I decided to go balanced team route with mega latias so that it has good defensive support and so it functions better as a win condition on the team.
: The main star of the team, its really bulky with 80/120/150 defenses and with calm mind and access to recover it becomes harder to take down especially on the special side, Thunderbolt and ice beam is on the set since it has good coverage together and hits a plethora of types super effectively.
: Next I added in choice banded victini to serve as a powerful wall breaker on the team. Vcreate with a band hits very hard able to 2hko pokemon that resist it as well. I gave it blue flare so it that can take out steel types easier in a steel match up, without risking revenge killing due to stat drop which vcreate gives.
: since the team i decided was balanced, next i added in slowbro with colbur berry set to check pokemon like mega sharpedo,Bisharp for the team while also acting as a sturdy physical wall with access to slack off and regenerator, I gave it fire blast to have little easier time vs steel match ups as victini is choice banded.
: Wobbuffet with its shadow tag ability and colbur berry takes out threats to the team such as specs hydreigon with destiny bond.which jirachi and slowbro cannot handle. Wobbuffet can also check other dark types like mega sharpedo and bisharp, it has encore so that it can cripple pokemon that dare to set up on it and create momentum for the team. A good blanket check.
: Next Latios fills in the role of speed control on the team with a choice scarf set allowing it to outspeed pokemon such as scarf hydreigon and Mega sharpedo at +1, Latios with a scarf is a good revenge killer since it sits at a high 110 speed. Draco meteor and psychic are its obligatory stab moves. I gave it trick to cripple annoying walls such as chansey,porygon2 etc and defog is to clear off hazards.
: Lastly to complete the team, I added a specially defensive counterpart to slowbro which is jirachi which not only checks fairy types that give the lati twins trouble such as mega diancie,gardevoir-mega but it also provides crucial support to the teamin the form of stealth rock and toxic to cripple and break down walls.

Last edited:
Double Trapper Ebola Psychic
Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Blue Flare

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick

Wobbuffet @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

Mew @ Psychium Z
Ability: Synchronize
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Rock Polish

Mega Latias is a really good mon and in my opinion the best available mega on balanced builds, but it requires a bit of team support in order to be able to sweep. Jirachi is the team’s hazard lead, being able to set rocks, paralyze faster threats that may bother Latias, and pivot out into a teammate safely with its U-turn. The EV spread allows it to outspeed Jolly Bisharp and paralyze it, something pretty useful for Psychic. Scarf Victini and Gothitelle is the classic one-two punch combo that basically destroys Steel single handedly, something Latias appreciates. Trick on Gothitelle is the team’s way of dealing with Chansey, which is otherwise a problematic threat. The second trapper on the team, Wobbuffet, mainly checks Dark types such as Hydreigon and other choice-locked Pokemon. It’s usefulness against threats such as Alolan Muk is also appreciated, and it seems to be able to check threats in almost every matchup. Lastly, Mew is using its standard double dance Mewnium Z set, which allows it to run through most offensive teams while providing the team with Paychic Terrain support.

Namranan

:)))))))))))
S H A M A N S
Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Charm
- Roost

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Blue Flare
- U-turn

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Torment

Wobbuffet @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond
- Encore

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Trick
- Defog

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpD / 80 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Latias - Stored power Latias-mega is a beautiful blanket check to types that lacks dark types. Charm and calm mind help reassure its survivability while it runs defensive Ev's to make sure it can still take damage well without the boosts. Vs Dark, Mega-lati can force in threats like bisharp and pursuit trapping tyranitar. Which helps the STAG combo set up and poke holes in the team one by one. While dark may be completely immune to its main move, Mega-latias can still be a utility with charm against other dark types that are not bisharp.
Victini - Choice scarf victini helps destroy bug and pivots on dark. With blue flare and V-create victini can out speed and OHKO most bug mons and has the bulk to survive a priority move from either M-scizor or M-pinsir.
Stag Bois - Gothitelle runs a unique torment set to make trappable threats kill themselves once she choices them. While it does do some damage to gothitelle, this can help cover up any mistakes or potential reads that the opponent might try to make. Wobuffet is Goth's partner in crime and revenge kills any threats to psychic and sets up gothitelle from time to time. Colbur berry is ran so that wobby can switch into a powerful dark attack and take as little damage as possible.
Latios - Latios acts as the bait/defogger of the team. Latios can also help set up the STAG combo with trick and runs two stab moves to make sure that it is still a threat. I chose scarf over LO because this will allow latios to revenge kill easier and chip less health.
Jirachi - Primarily a tank/Poison immunity. The reason I chose tank Jirachi rather than offensive jirachi was because the team needs a rocker that can somewhat take a hit and pass around status. Jirachi also blocks poison/toxic as well as any other potentially annoying status ailments that jirachi won't mind carrying.

Overall this team is more bulky offensive if anything.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)