Clash Royale

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread (at least in the Great Library) on Clash Royale. It's been out for a while now, and I recently picked it up again and have been enjoying it since.

I was just wondering what strategies and cards you used often and maybe some tips and tricks you might have.

I used a deck consisting of Baby Dragon / Goblins / Skeletons / Prince / Balloon / Barbarians / Minion Horde / Arrows because it could take advantage of an opposing misplay and capitalize off of it by doing some major damage on tower with the Prince / Balloon / Minion Horde. I know Prince and Balloon are kinda noob cards, but under the right amount of support they can actually play rather effectively. The goal is to try to get the opponent to drop elixir on one side and then overload the other with Balloon / Prince and some support. For example, I could draw out Skeleton Army / Cannon / Minion horde from the opponent by using a Barbarian then dropping Prince or Balloon on the other side. Unfortunately, it is kind of weak to decks with splash damage such as Wizard, Ice Wizard, Witch, Bomber, and Valkyrie.

What I currently use is Hog Rider / Valkyrie / Zap / Musketeer / Cannon / Miner / Goblins / Spear Goblins. This deck plays fairly straightforward, using a pretty simple "core" of Hog Rider, Valkyrie, and Musketeer to support each other and help Hog Rider get on tower. The Miner is also helpful in being a distraction on the tower, allowing Hog Rider and others to deal more damage to it while also dealing some chip damage itself. Zap / Cannon / Goblins / Spear Goblins play more defensively / supportively, but (Spear) Goblins can also help push offensively.

I'm hoping this thread can help share strategies, critique decks, and maybe talk about incoming buffs / nerfs that come around every once in a while.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Come to think of it, I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about Clash of Clans either (at least to my knowledge), considering that Supercell is well known in the field of mobile gaming. Anyway, I decided to pick up the game when a few of my clan mates from Clash of Clans made a Royale clan. I'm currently lv 8, sitting around the midway point in the royal arena.

My go-to deck is currently a Lava Hound/Air build consisting of Lava Hound / Baby Dragon / Minions / Prince / Skeleton Army / Zap / Arrows / Rage. Pretty simple strategy; get the hound out as a meat-shield, then get the hard-hitters behind it to whittle away at the crown towers and enemy troops. Rage is good especially when the hound dies and breaks apart into the hoard of pseudo-minions, which can take a tower down really quick if left unchecked. The Skeleton Army is useful in a pinch to check a Prince or Giant, or to lure out damaging spells like Arrows (the bane of this deck). Zap is one of the most versatile cards in the game, and especially useful here to reset an inconvenient Inferno Tower. And Arrows are there to keep enemy minion hoards, as well as the Princess at bay if the Baby Dragon doesn't suffice, both of which can cause serious damage to the air troops. The biggest problem with the deck is that it's prone to bad opening hands at times, and damaging spells really screw you over in the hands of a skilled, conservative player.

I've also been trying out a prototype Sparky deck recently, since I had the card for a while, and I got the Ice Wizard out of a legendary chest a few days ago and wanted to try it out with Sparky. The deck currently consists of Sparky / Ice Wizard / Giant / Witch / Minions / Fire Spirits / Elixir Collector / Mirror. So far it's been deadly, especially once you start a steady flow of elixir with a collector or two. Sparky can be hard to stop with the Giant in front, and the Ice Wizard (and Fire Spirits when they're needed) help with crowd control. Probably going to end up swapping Mirror with Zap soon however, since I didn't realize the Ice Wizard's freeze effect doesn't reset Infernos.

My last deck is more of a traditional build consisting of Barbarians / Giant / Witch / Minion Horde / Valkyrie / Musketeer / Goblin Hut / Fireball. It's my fail-safe deck if I'm having a streak of bad games with the other decks; sometimes switching the deck helps break a losing streak.

Also, on another note, am I the only one who thinks that getting exp for donating cards to clan mates is really bad? The exp gains aren't much individually, but if you donate a lot of cards, it adds up and can cause you to level up prematurely, which can hurt quite a bit if your cards are still on the lower end of the level spectrum.

Ive been playing this since beta, its now the only game on my phone. It really reminds me of competitive mons in that you get tower damage through forward thinking and luring cards.

Im currently up at arena 9 waiting for the princess to come into my shop. I play around with decks a lot but my favourite atm is Miner/Lumberjack(or Hog)/Minion Horde/Goblins,Spear Goblins/Baby Dragon/Zap/Filler. Its a very high risk deck which you try to constantly pressure your opponent so that they cant build up elixir and counter their attacks with as little elixir as possible. Using techniques like kiting are necessary to this deck though as you will be playing on the edge of bankruptcy constantly.

Also Xen I used to think the same about donating but having a higher tower level only brings benefits, for example you can take out minions 1 level lower than your tower in 2 shots rather than 3 and ice spirits cant reach your tower, fire spirits die in 1 shot rather than 2. Matchmaker isnt affected by player level, the only downside is it wont look consistent. So everybody DONATE!!

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Ive been playing this since beta, its now the only game on my phone. It really reminds me of competitive mons in that you get tower damage through forward thinking and luring cards.

Im currently up at arena 9 waiting for the princess to come into my shop. I play around with decks a lot but my favourite atm is Miner/Lumberjack(or Hog)/Minion Horde/Goblins,Spear Goblins/Baby Dragon/Zap/Filler. Its a very high risk deck which you try to constantly pressure your opponent so that they cant build up elixir and counter their attacks with as little elixir as possible. Using techniques like kiting are necessary to this deck though as you will be playing on the edge of bankruptcy constantly.

Also Xen I used to think the same about donating but having a higher tower level only brings benefits, for example you can take out minions 1 level lower than your tower in 2 shots rather than 3 and ice spirits cant reach your tower, fire spirits die in 1 shot rather than 2. Matchmaker isnt affected by player level, the only downside is it wont look consistent. So everybody DONATE!!
Oh, I thought your tower level did influence matchmaking. That would make much more sense then.

Also, is The Log worth using in this game over other spells like the Arrows? I just got the card today in my daily crown chest, making it the second legendary card I received this week along with the Ice Wizard mentioned in my first post. I know it's not exactly the most sought-after legendary, but it's been buffed over the past few updates, and I could see it being more useful than Zap in certain situations.

Oh, I thought your tower level did influence matchmaking. That would make much more sense then.

Also, is The Log worth using in this game over other spells like the Arrows? I just got the card today in my daily crown chest, making it the second legendary card I received this week along with the Ice Wizard mentioned in my first post. I know it's not exactly the most sought-after legendary, but it's been buffed over the past few updates, and I could see it being more useful than Zap in certain situations.
Log is definitely a good choice over most crowd control (not Zap which Ill go into why) because it is a hard counter to most swarm/cycle decks. You take out princess for a positive elixir trade and the pushback is invaluable against pretty much all units. Zap is often too weak or small a radius to make kills but as it hits flying troops and has a stun its usually more viable. Using both of them together is a great combo as most decks these days are zap lures so saving the zap for when you need it most is really important.

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Elite barbarians are still broken...but the heal spell just came out if anyone still watches this thread and I think it will be an interesting card to use/go against. I'm using an Elite barbs/ rage/ zap/ baby dragon/ bomber/ skarmy/ wiz/ inferno tower deck atm and its doing p good in the jungle arena. Still waiting for the log/ graveyard and lavahound cards but owell.

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Heal doesn't seem way too effective to me and I've still been using the same deck but with Goblin Gang over Spear Goblins. I just really need the log because that fits a lot of decks I want to use really well

This game is all the craze at my "work"place. I kind of like the double dragon strategy and want to make the Lavahound work for me...I also wish to get a Miner so I can do a defensive poison/miner/rocket deck...also triple wizard seems fun backing a giant.

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Sounds good. The miner is a great card imo and finds its way into a lot of the decks I build. Triple wizard sounds fun but I dont have the ice wizard yet unfortunately.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Heal was fun during the draft challenge in tandem with the Witch, but yeah I'm not sure if it will be worth a spot in decks once the "new toy" feel wears off. As long as Giant/Hound/Golem decks run rampant, Inferno Tower/Drags will continue to be commonplace in many decks to keep them at bay.

Anyway, since my last post, I'm now Lv. 10 sitting near the end of the Jungle Arena now (my trophy record is currently 3130); I also have all the current cards except for the Bandit. I still prefer using Hound/Air decks, although I've been experimenting with different builds trying to find a setup that I'm most comfortable with.

image2.PNG

This is the current Hound deck I'm running. The biggest perk of it is that it's not totally reliant on being air-based, but can play as ground when necessary. Elite Barbs, Miner, and Goblin Gang are pretty self-explanatory cards. The Inferno Dragon is there to combat opposing Hound and Golem decks, which would cause major trouble for this deck otherwise, and it makes a good pressure card on the offensive as well. I've been on the fence between the Lumberjack or Rage, but I think I prefer jack in this deck since he adds extra offensive pressure and can be played as a defensive pivot in a pinch. So far the deck has done pretty well, but it has a glaring weakness to the uncommon 3 Musketeer decks. Against 3 Musk builds, the only thing I can really do is keep a steady flow of offense in order to keep the opponent's elixir stock short and damage the pumps with the Miner. I would like to add the Fireball in the deck somewhere to help alleviate that issue, but I'm not entirely sure which card to swap out for it.

image1.PNG

My secondary fail-safe deck. Pretty much a no frills build that offers good offensive and defensive versatility. The cards are all pretty self-explanatory. I've been debating on switching the Minion Hoard out for one of the Wizards (probably the classic Wiz since that splash damage makes it a great partner to the EBarbs and Royal Giant) since Arrows are always obnoxious.

My 3rd deck slot is basically just for experimenting around with different types of decks. Right now it's a Mortar Cycle build, which is actually pretty fun but Golem/Hound builds absolutely destroy it. Once my Heal card is at a sufficient level, I may try some builds out with it.

Also agreeing on Miner being a great card; I'd argue it's the best card in the game currently. Its versatility is unmatched for a 3 elix card that can spawn anywhere you need it to, and it actually has the HP to take a few hits and not get Zapped/Logged from existence.

Last edited:
Nice and do you have any good ewiz decks I could get? Or sparky even?
ewiz is so good rn there are a ton of decks with him

people are running hog cycle with knight/ewiz over ig and musk, golem beatdown with bdrag and ewiz as its support, graveyard with bowler/bdrag/ewiz, etc. it fits pretty much every archetype except for maaaaybe mortar siege decks because it's so good on defense and you can't ignore it when you counterpush with it.

atm I'm running a graveyard deck with ewiz/bdrag/knight/archers as my defensive backbone, poison and zap for offensive spells, and skellys for cycling and kiting ebarbs and shit. the deck is super consistent in challenges and tournaments, and even tho I'm a bit underleveled it does pretty well on ladder too.

Ununhexium

Just wanna bump this thread because all of July had the 2v2 ladder and that was fucking awesome

But since I hadn't really played standard for a while I realized that my old deck lost to a bunch of new cards / strategies particularly Night Witch and Golem/Horde decks which for some reason I ran into like 6 in a row

I'm now using Hog / Freeze / Executioner / Goblins / Zap / Fireball / Inferno Tower / Minions because the Executioner kills everything and it's broken af and I discovered during 2v2 that Freeze can be disgusting if played right. Basically I just cycle Hog and Freeze and the rest are defensive options but can counterpush

I used a lot of variants with this deck mostly changing Inferno Tower / Goblins / Executioner with stuff like Tombstone / Valkyrie/ Ice Wizard but my current variant is my favorite so far

I'm curious to hear what y'all have to say about the summer of 2v2 and what your current standard decks are with all the new cards they've added in the past few months

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
The summer of 2v2 was amazing since when it first started I was spamming it and also didnt ladder up. I havent been playing royale much this summer but ive kinda been keeping up with the meta? I got a lvl 2 night witch (also in my previous post about the 3 legends i wanted I finally got xd) and have been using golem + night witch + clone spell which has been giving my wins in hog mountain. When school starts and stuff I will prob grind up the ladder and see how far I can get. Also the new cannon cart card seems..intresting. I havent used it but I bought a single card from shop and will prob test it later. Also my deck atm is : Golem, night witch, archers, bomber, clone, ewiz, lightning spell and log.

^use babby dragon instead of bomber

2v2 was great, and I hope they bring it back as a game mode, mainly so that we can get chests without having to ladder, which is always a huge chore if you're tilting

I've been using a lot of 3musk decks: either with night witch/bandit/ram or minion horde/heal. heal is rly good in the current meta as poison is everywhere and lightning isn't particularly common. I've also been using a weird pekka/graveyard deck that just shreds on defense and is great for counterpushing (it also has dart goblin, which is probably my favourite card). the meta right now is actually fairly diverse, but I think night witch still needs a nerf. maybe 3musk too idk

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Before the recent balance changes, I was able to use bridge spam (Bandit + Battle Ram + Night Witch + Ice Spirit + Ice Golem + Zap + Fireball (my Fireball is level 9 so I prefer using it) and Inferno Dragon) to push from 4000 to 4300 right before the cycle ended.

Ever since the update, bridge spam hasn't been working that well and I've been bouncing between 3970 - 4090 everyday. I finally upgraded my Electro Wizard to level 3 and I've been trying to find decks (usually through Youtube or statsroyale) that might help me push for trophies.

Also, in case you haven't used it before, statsroyale.com is a great resource as it'll tell you your chest cycle (so you know when your next silver/gold/magical/giant/super magical/legendary chests are) and it also has some decks with win rates as well.

I pretty much only play on ladder (and 2v2 which was really nice) and the challenges that might appear on the weekends, but I've never done a classic nor a grand challenge (especially this one because 100 gems take a long time to accumulate). How often do you guys do those challenges?

Edit @ below: I tried it out with some changes (added Graveyard over Clone and Inferno Dragon over Archers) due to them being low level and so far it works well! Thanks :D

Last edited:

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Im not that far up the ladder yet because I haven't really been motivated to grind this summer on it but maybe you could try the deck I posted before (Golem, Night Witch, Clone, Bomber/Baby Dragon, Archers, Ewiz, Lightning Spell/Fire ball and log). I've known about statsroyale for awhile now and its really useful for the chest cycles (I got a super magical and legendary chest coming up :]) and to find some new deck ideas. Every now and then I would spend a few bucks on the game for gems so I could get the legendary chest that appeared in shop every 21 days I believe? Or something like that but since I haven't been playing as much I've just been checking in and opening the free chest and clan chests but when I have a few gems saved up I might do a classic challenge when im bored. I think the highest I have made it to is like 9? I haven't done the grand challenge yet but I do the special challenges when they are here. At the moment they have a legendary challenge with one free entry and at 12 wins you get a legendary chest and I might try my shot at it soon.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Summer 2 vs 2 was amazing. Not only was it nice to keep chest stocks full w/o having to worry about trophies, but I felt like I actually got better at the game during the event since I could experiment with new decks and focus on what I did right and what I did wrong during the matches, as opposed to stressing out about keeping my trophies high.

Anyway I pushed up to around 3900 for my personal best, but recently I've been on a tilt, so I'm hanging around 3300 now. My main deck is a 3 Musk + Hog Cycle deck that has been working out well overall, but I've been playing around with different decks and currently am hooked on a Giant + Graveyard build.

The new balance changes are nice (I thought the NW nerf was a bit harsh at first, but I've played a few rounds with it and it's still a good card), but I'm partially mad with the Mortar buff. Mortar Cycle decks have been cropping up in force since the changes went live, and they're very annoying to play against

Did you notice that in 2v2, teammates instantly left the match and then rejoined? It's because their game is crash by memory leak, so they need to restart the game to continue. It seems that in ClashRoyale "freeing resource function" not work/ not exist for years so far. And each next game update making it harder to fit in device RAM, so it crash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)