Custom Power

Mega Beedrill being dumb enough to go for STAB Double Edge is hard-walled by the staple Skarmory. What Mega Beedrill really ought to run is coverage for beating Skarmory, or Hippowdon, or Air Balloon Heatran, etc. Bug/Poison is awful as an offensive pairing.

Crawdaunt's firepower isn't really that much higher than its usual Crabhammer/Knock Off pairing if it's running Double Edge (eg it can already 2HKO Quagsire), and now it's killing itself on the attacks, eventually ending its sweep even if the opponent has no answers to it. It's probably better off reworking some other move, and indeed it probably would rather have a strong coverage move than slightly buff a STAB. Either that or go for utility -turn Body Slam into a good type so you can spread Paralysis, that sort of thing.

7. Arcanine
As strange as it seems, fire type extreme speed is not the best thing to run on this beast. Instead, you should run ground. Flare blitz+wild charge+ground is perfect coverage. A pure fire role, however, is outclassed by entei.

9. Entei
This the best bet for a fire type espeed. While it could play with coverage, the best set fir this thing is pprobably band because it has no boosting moves. Fire is very spammable, and gives nice coverage alongside stone edge.
M8 I think you got those two the other way around. Flare Blitz/Wild Charge/ExtremeSpeed [Ground] may be perfect coverage, but the same coverage is already granted by Close Combat, so having STAB ExtremeSpeed is way more useful for Arcanine, expecially considering that Flare Blitz isn't very spammable because of the recoil.

On the other side, Entei has a very spammable STAB in Sacred Fire, but lackluster natural coverage, so it benefits more from turning Extreme Speed into a coverage move. Personally, I think that Water is the best option, as it hits Heatran, Talonflame and Rock types all in one package. Electric is also a valid option if you wish to have better coverage against Water types, or Ice if you want to hit Dragons.

Also I don't get why you felt the need to analyzing NFE Extreme Speed users.

Bumping with a nice set.

Diggersby @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Adamant/Jolly Nature
-Foul Play [Ground]
-Return
-Quick Attack
-Knock Off/Wild Charge

An Hidden Type classic rebranded. Unfortunately, his Foul Play has now immunities, but it still hits ridicoulously hard, with only walls that aren't physically oriented being able to avoid the 2HKO, and most of them get wrecked hard by Return anyway. Very good wallbreaker/revengekiller

Bumping with a nice set.

Diggersby @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Adamant/Jolly Nature
-Foul Play [Ground]
-Return
-Quick Attack
-Knock Off/Wild Charge

An Hidden Type classic rebranded. Unfortunately, his Foul Play has now immunities, but it still hits ridicoulously hard, with only walls that aren't physically oriented being able to avoid the 2HKO, and most of them get wrecked hard by Return anyway. Very good wallbreaker/revengekiller
I can attest to this, as all you HT players know Diggersby's damage output with STAB foul play is just, well, foul. It's a shame Diggersby can't make foul play normal type though, he would be able to hit a lot more targets since ground immunities and resistances are everywhere. Still, Foul Play is a clear improvement over EQ , and if you're a physical attacker who is neutral to ground, you may as well get up and go home because you don't stand a chance (even if you resist ground, if you get an attack boost you risk being eaten alive by this Bugs Bunny from hell).
Here are some calcs i gathered comparing the power output of EQ and FP, featuring Pokemon i think will be used often:
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 154-183 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 207-244 (49.2 - 58%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
so this guy 2HKO's one of OU's best physical tanks? eww

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 109-130 (31.7 - 37.9%) -- 93.7% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 165-195 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO
please note that this particular Mega Scizor set is running no attack investment and maximum defense, aaand it still 2HKOs, absolutely disgusting

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 193-228 (49.3 - 58.3%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 379-447 (96.9 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
i don't think anybody's surprised really, i mean Kyub has freaking 170 attack so moving on

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 202-238 (74.5 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 337-397 (124.3 - 146.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
is the opponent's mega lop at full health and you just want it to die as quickly as possible? look no further than foul play!

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 178-211 (53.7 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 360-424 (108.7 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO
this is perhaps Diggersby's most relevant calc, being perhaps the best offensive answer to mega-shrimp. it straight up OHKOs non-bulky variants, outspeeds adamant megados after a dd (courtesy of choice scarf of course) and OHKOs bulkier variants. not bad at all

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 174-205 (57.8 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 179-211 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 357-421 (98 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
custom power? what the fuck is this? you're telling me Diggersby 2HKO's even the bulkiest variants of Mega Heracross with a resisted hit? get out diggersby
it also OHKOs after an SD

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 193-228 (62 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 286-337 (91.9 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
standard stuff, OHKOs gatr and outspeeds after dd, similar to megados actually

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 180-213 (61.8 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 279-328 (95.8 - 112.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
not even the mighty mega altaria is safe from Diggersby's disgustingly sexy power. bulky variants avoid the OHKO, but once again if it sets up a DD then diggy outspeeds and OHKOs regardless

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 270-320 (89.7 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 474-558 (157.4 - 185.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
sometimes that 37.5% chance is too risky, especially considering how dangerous Metagross is, a guaranteed OHKO is always nice and it even OHKOs the bulkiest of grosses

252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 201-237 (57.2 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 375-442 (106.8 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
sure Diggersby will probably have to eat a mach knuckle-sandwich, but it's never an OHKO and you can demolish him in return - if circumstances of course dictate no better options such as switching out

I could have added more calcs, but most other pokemon are either immune to ground, weak to ground so they are destroyed by eq anyway, bulky enough so that the calcs arent too amazing (looking at you Hippowdon), or are special attackers that are hit harder by return

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok well with most people talking about how this benefits a lot of attacking moves, I felt like this was time for me to take a unique point of view on this and discuss how this helps utility based moves. Most utility based moves aren't going to provide coverage in the normal sense of the word, but they can make for some strange sets and provide walls with ways around opposing walls / offensive mons.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp

- Soft-Boiled
- Taunt
- Knock Off

While Will-O-Wisp still can't burn Fire-types, making it a Dark-type move means Mew no longer gives free Flash Fire boosts to Heatran. While this isn't a big change, Mew still appreciates no longer having to take Flash Fire-boosted Fire Blasts or Lava Plumes from Heatran.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave

- Spikes
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Making Thunder Wave a Dark type move means Ground types can no longer switch in freely and "tank" a Thunder Wave as it is now a Dark-type move. With Ground-types no longer being able to switch in, Klefki now can be an even bigger nuisance than in standard play with only Electric-types being able to switch in (since they are naturally immune to paralysis). This change means old checks such as Excadrill and Garchomp can no longer get around Klefki as Excadrill loses its Speed in Sand and Garchomp now becomes slower than Klefki, allowing it to use Magnet Rise shenanigans.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin

- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Stealth Rock

Excadrill now not only has an unblockable Rapid Spin, but it can hit the Ghost-types that normally spinblock super effectively! But seriously, giving Excadrill Dark Rapid Spin means it can now get rid of entry hazards more easily. It also has a nice Toxic Spikes immunity, thanks to its Steel typing, making it probably the most reliable spinner in Custom Power.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch

- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

While not OU, Cobalion is one of the few viable Pokemon that has access to Volt Switch yet isn't an Electric-type. Giving Cobalion a Dark-type Volt Switch means it can now pivot out of Ground-types that may tend to wall it. Dark-type Volt Switch means that Cobalion no longer fears a Ground-type blocking its pivoting or being able to fire off a free STAB move as it forces Cobalion into a different check.

Honorable mentions:

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore

- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance / Rock Tomb

This allows Breloom to get around Grass immunities, such as Sap Sipper, and not powder immunities, which are not very prevalent in OU, but it is still a neat idea.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed

- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Gyro Ball / Power Whip
- Power Whip / Protect

Same vein as Breloom as this change allows Ferrothorn to get around Grass immunities, but they aren't too prevalent in OU.

While most utility moves don't benefit from a type change, these select few can give Pokemon new niches, further their own utility, or avoid benefiting the opponent's Pokemon. This metagame definitely benefits offensive moves, but don't count out utility moves! n_n

Last edited:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch

- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

While not OU, Cobalion is one of the few viable Pokemon that has access to Volt Switch yet isn't an Electric-type. Giving Cobalion a Dark-type Volt Switch means it can now pivot out of Ground-types that may tend to wall it. Dark-type Volt Switch means that Cobalion no longer fears a Ground-type blocking its pivoting or being able to fire off a free STAB move as it forces Cobalion into a different check.
Better yet, make it an Ice-type Volt Switch so you can hit Ground-type switch-ins Super-Effectively. Or run a Steel-type Volt Switch for an equally unblockable, but STAB-boosted, switching move (that happens to OHKO Mega Diancies that get cocky and switch in to block Stealth Rock).

Reactions: nv

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Better yet, make it an Ice-type Volt Switch so you can hit Ground-type switch-ins Super-Effectively. Or run a Steel-type Volt Switch for an equally unblockable, but STAB-boosted, switching move (that happens to OHKO Mega Diancies that get cocky and switch in to block Stealth Rock).
Well the point I was making was you don't have to give up any IVs to now have a "special U-turn", but yea. There are varying types that can work (I am actually trying to gather ideas to make a post here of maybe a team or some sets n_n)

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore

- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance / Rock Tomb

This allows Breloom to get around Grass immunities and not powder immunities, which are not very prevalent in OU, but it is still a neat idea.
I don´t think it works that way. Poison Powder is Poison-type and Rage Powder is Bug-type, yet Grass-types are immune to them because they count as powder moves. So I think changing the type of Spore won´t prevent Grass Pokémon from being immune to it.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I don´t think it works that way. Poison Powder is Poison-type and Rage Powder is Bug-type, yet Grass-types are immune to them because they count as powder moves. So I think changing the type of Spore won´t prevent Grass Pokémon from being immune to it.
He meant sap sipper mons I believe

Edit: the idea of a steel-type volt on Cobal sounds cool, it frees up a slot for Taunt / t-wave

double edit: yeah it's not that useful, like he said he's just trying to spitball. Probably we'll see more interesting stuff with Thunder Wave. Maybe Toxic, i'm not sure how Toxic works exactly mechanic-wise.

Last edited:
He meant sap sipper mons I believe

Edit: the idea of a steel-type volt on Cobal sounds cool, it frees up a slot for Taunt / t-wave

double edit: yeah it's not that useful, like he said he's just trying to spitball. Probably we'll see more interesting stuff with Thunder Wave. Maybe Toxic, i'm not sure how Toxic works exactly mechanic-wise.
Poison types and steel types are immune to poison as a status (bar imposter/reflect type shenanigans. They can be already toxic'd, but they cannot acquire poison if they're steel/poison type). Type changing toxic doesn't work. Just like fire types can't be burnt and electric types can't be paralyzed.

Dark type will sometimes be slightly suboptimal because of justified, however rarely that might come up. I can understand trying to preserve your IVs, but probably the only IV where you'll notice a difference between 30 and 31 is speed. Of the types allowing 31 speed IVs, I think steel is usually the best choice, having no relevant defensive abilities and a very minor IV penalty. (note: I don't think justified even triggers on status moves, but something to consider if you're using, say, seismic toss? ...well, I'm not sure exactly when it would apply)

Alternatively, if you are more worried about the 30 SpD IVs needed for steel, a bulky mon could run ice, losing out on speed, but nothing else. Typing-based immunity will still apply, as yoman5 mentioned. There's also the case of wanting 0 atk IVs for foul play, where you'll have to consider if having 1 IV there is worse than losing a point elsewhere.

This meta is delightfully fiddly.

Dark type will sometimes be slightly suboptimal because of justified, however rarely that might come up. I can understand trying to preserve your IVs, but probably the only IV where you'll notice a difference between 30 and 31 is speed. Of the types allowing 31 speed IVs, I think steel is usually the best choice, having no relevant defensive abilities and a very minor IV penalty. (note: I don't think justified even triggers on status moves, but something to consider if you're using, say, seismic toss? ...well, I'm not sure exactly when it would apply)

Alternatively, if you are more worried about the 30 SpD IVs needed for steel, a bulky mon could run ice, losing out on speed, but nothing else. Typing-based immunity will still apply, as yoman5 mentioned. There's also the case of wanting 0 atk IVs for foul play, where you'll have to consider if having 1 IV there is worse than losing a point elsewhere.

This meta is delightfully fiddly.
I think it's safe to say that losing one point off any stat will literally only ever matter for Speed, unless you're running some eldritch EV spread that has the narrowest margin of error ever for avoiding like five different KOs/2HKOs. And the Speed loss will only matter if you're already running 252 EVs, otherwise you can probably spare the 4EVs from some other stat.

How does this meta affect moves that change type but are displayed (in-game) as normal, such as Natural Gift? It's relatively insignificant, but, say, if you had HP Flying Talonflame with Apicot Berry and Natural Gift in the first slot, would it get Gale Wings priority? Idk if there's any way to test how this would work in-game...

How does this meta affect moves that change type but are displayed (in-game) as normal, such as Natural Gift? It's relatively insignificant, but, say, if you had HP Flying Talonflame with Apicot Berry and Natural Gift in the first slot, would it get Gale Wings priority? Idk if there's any way to test how this would work in-game...
It would probably get priority as it is considered a Flying move by the game.

EV

Banned deucer.
What happens if you re-type a move like Freeze Dry? Could you have a fire-type move that does super effective damage to water?
I would assume yes, because thats what freeze dry does. Now if only there was a mon that could take advantage of it...
It does, and I addressed that earlier with Mega Glalie using Freeze Dry-Fire. It's probably the most viable and sadly it eats up a mega slot.

So Custom Power is a metagame who's principle is, 'Fuck you, Hidden Power!' Nice. This brings up many concepts, and fulfils the requests of many Pokemon in need of coverage moves.
So, this is what I thought of.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Moonblast -Ground
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind

Sylveon lacks a good ground type move, and was compelled to use HP Ground if not using Psyshock. Moonblast fills its space, with a high base power of 95 , and now, steel types can't wall it, and it can deal considerable damage to them.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder-Ice
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Mega Man lacks... a good Ice type move. Here we go. When we get Ice typed Thunder, Ground types are no longer a problem. And the Intimidate.... Do I need to mention that?

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Frustration - Flying
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- FILLER

Although Frustration deals less damage than Brave Bird, it has no recoil damage, which prevents Talonflame from dieing after dealing a lot of damage.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Flamethrower - Ice
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Now it can kill Ground types much easily, with more power.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Frustration - Flying
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Bulky Landorus. Yes. What did it lack? A good Flying type STAB move. It had 'Fly', but that move sucked. Now we have another Stealth Rock setter with a good STAB.

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Frustration - Flying
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Here, again, our most beloved mence lacks a good Flying type STAB move. Frustration fills that space, and makes our mence deadlier than before.

Thats it for now, I'll post more as it comes to me.

Last edited:

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
Salamencizer overall seems nice but there are some edits that I would make

Manectric: Thunder with 70% acc is pretty unreliable, you could go with Overheat to destroy those Ground types while not missing (as much), or an Ice type Volt Switch so that Ground types cant try to block it. Discharge would also work, being able to spread para as well as having a higher power than Volt Switch

Heatran: Heatran really would like a Fire STAB move and Steel doesn't really hit too much. Keep the Flamethrower-Ice (or Fire Blast-Ice), but use Lava Plume instead of Flash Cannon for those nice burns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)