Ubers Ditto

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode

A blob with a skeleton?

Overview
########

While Ditto faces some competition from Goomy in the squishy purple blob department, its role in Ubers is still unique. With Imposter and a Choice Scarf equipped, it is capable of revenge killing and scouting in a way no other Pokemon can match. However, while it does suffer from poor HP, the inability to revenge kill healthy opponents often, and being fairly ineffectual versus stall, the introduction of Mega Evolving and Sticky Web help secure it a place in the metagame. It is a great deterrent for your opponent to set up.

Imposter
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Transform
ability: Imposter
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Relaxed
ivs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

Moves
========

While Ditto has a wide and fantastic movepool, this is truly its optimal moveset, as no other options exist.

Set Details
========

A Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed or tie with any opposing threats, allowing it to check sweepers and Mega Pokemon effectively. The EVs and IVs put it in the greatest possible situation should you enter a war against opposing Ditto. The IVs also give you a Hidden Power type of Ice, but these can be adjusted should any type seem more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Ditto is best brought in to revenge kill or by U-turn, Baton Pass, or Volt Switch. It can be used to scout movesets, or to revenge kill an opponent's Pokemon. Be careful in selecting a move, as after you choose it you are locked into it, and immunities are particularly punishable. Versus defensive teams, Ditto's best options are to utilize recovery and hazard setting and removal. Beware, however, that Ditto is vulnerable to all damaging hazards, although it is still effective under the conditions of Sticky Web. It performs very well against Sticky Web teams due to being a fast revenge killer that is unaffected by it.

Team Options
========

Ditto tends to act more as glue than pairing particularly well with any certain Pokemon, but tends to work more effectively on offensive teams, as unlike many defensive Pokemon, it checks a lot of Pokemon in the metagame without halting momentum. Pokemon that can set or remove hazards pair well with it, as well as Pokemon that can weaken opposing Xerneas and Extreme Killer Arceus. Checks to Calm Mind Arceus are important too, as Ditto has significant difficulty revenge killing them.

Other Options
########

While it has a wide movepool, no other options for its moveset are particularly striking. Running Limber over Imposter serves no purpose, nor does using a different item. Ditto's only other real option is adjusting its IVs to have a different Hidden Power type when it copies an opponent which uses it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Calm Mind Arceus**: Any Calm Mind Arceus is generally too bulky for Ditto to revenge kill. Bear in mind that Ditto's Judgment is always Normal, unless it holds a Plate, which it cannot afford to do.

**Substitute**: Ditto's Imposter and Transform are rendered totally useless by an unbroken Substitute.

**Swords Dance Ghost Arceus Lacking Shadow Claw**: Due to the mechanics of Shadow Force, Ditto's Speed advantage means that it loses to Swords Dance Ghost Arceus that lack Shadow Claw and run Shadow Force.

**Status**: Ditto dislikes all form of status. Paralysis in particular slowing it down is an issue for it, while burn means it is unable to effectively imitate physical attackers. Toxic damage puts its life on a timer.

**Stall**: Defensive builds leave Ditto little options in terms of bringing its own utility to the team.

**Trapping**: After Ditto has revenge killed something, a trapper such as Mega Gengar can often remove it from play.

Skeleton:

Overview
########
-Is blob
-Likes new megas and set up sweepers
-48 base HP sucks
-Can't do much vs stall
-Can only revenge kill weakened geoXern due to losing due to shitty base HP
-immune to webs but hurt by all other hazards (becoming a poison/steel type via transform doesn't cure poisoning iirc) (this is a fairly rare strat in ubers but definitely mention-worthy)
-great vs webs

Imposter
########
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
ivs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd

Moves
========
-Amazing Movepool
-Such 4 moveslot syndrome
-Umm transform

Set Details
========

- Choice Scarf is the only item that allows it to effectively check set up sweepers and megas.
- 248 EVs in HP makes Ditto hit a Stealth Rock number, which means Ditto will be hurt slightly less by some forms of residual damage. Maximum investment in Defense decreases damage that Ditto takes from a Struggle war with another Ditto. A Relaxed nature is used to obtain the lowest Speed for the possible, albeit rare, Struggle war with opposing ditto. 0 Speed IVs are used to fare better in these wars and give you Hidden Power Ice but [can someone check mechanics to see if this is true] it would mean losing out on being able to speed tie versus opposing choice scarf users. [hey also what's the most useful HP type for it anyway? Fire/Ice/what? Not exactly like it's ever gonna use it?]
-Happiness cos of return on kanga (can use 0 if you see more frustration than return)

Usage Tips
========

- Revenge kill or bring in with baton pass/volt switch/u-turn
- Can be used to scout movesets
- Against stall use to remove or set entry hazards, and abuse recovery
- abuse regenerator
-choose attack carefully; immunities suck, hard to get in anyway

Team Options
========

-More of a glue to a team, doesn't pair with any pokemon particularly well.
-use on offensive teams; checks lots of offensive stuff without robbing momentum like some defensive mons do
-Hazard removal
-hazards
-pokemon to weaken xern/ekiller
-checks to CM arceuses - ditto has difficulty RKing them

Other Options
########

-Could run another item but is highly ill-advised
-Different IVs for a different hidden power type
-Maybe you could run a different set of moves.. oh wait.

Checks & Counters
########

-ghostceus - ditto's judgement becomes normal type unless holding a plate (don't do that it's bad too) so ghostceus is immune - rock/steelceus also resist ditto's judgement. shadow force ghosty also wins unless lagging tail which is probably one of the worst items ditto can use ever.
-other CM arceus also have a very strong matchup
-cannot copy behind a substitute
-dislikes status a lot
-m-gengar and other trappers can often revenge kill if ditto hasn't become a ghost type
-Anything that can beats ditto before ditto beats it
-Basically Stall
-Ditto - it can't transform into an opposing mon if that opposing mon is ditto (even if they've already transformed)
- you're really this worried about beating ditto?

Last edited by a moderator:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Okay this is unlocked now. Bump!
Looking for comments and QC checks.

Using same set name as in gen 5 (why does ubers have to get the dullest of the lol I mean each tier gets a different name for the Ditto set and yet ubers gets the only one that isn't at all amusing >.>)

0 Speed IVs can be used to fare better in these wars and give you Hidden Power Ice but [can someone check mechanics to see if this is true] it would mean losing out on being able to speed tie versus opposing choice scarf users.
I can confirm that IV's get copied as well, which means removing the Speed and Attack IV's is most optimal. (I did save replays, but I couldn't find it. And also, I checked this at PS, but I don't know if that's how it works in-game)

Add Ghostceus in the counter section. The only poke (bar Zoroark still with his illusion up) who doesn't fear Ditto. The Support and CM version will be immune to Ditto's judgment (If less Ditto carries a plate, lol) and can outstall, while the SD set with Shadow Force will also beat ditto, because of Shadow Force mecanics.

Other than that, there's not really much to say about Ditto. Against stall, the only noteable things he can do is to heal himself, spread toxic and act as a cleric, but it's often very prediction based. Just like against a GeoXern, Ditto can only viably revenge weakened E-Killer. You should also mention that Ditto is vurnable to every entry hazards, expect Sticky Web, which is a nice niche.

At last, Imposter won't work against a already copied poke. This means that a ditto can "safely" come in on an imposter'ed Gengar using Shadow Ball, still be immune as a normal type. and safely use transform and force them out, because you have more PP then them. I guess I'm trying to say that Ditto can stop another Ditto copying your own Mega Gangar or SD Arceus Ghost with Shadow Claw> Shadow Force. They're the best pokes Ditto pairs well with, in a weird way.

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Iirc ditto can't transform into opposing dittos. Good comments. I guess that means best EV + IVs are 0 Speed, max defense and 4 into attack for ditto struggle wars. And the low HP and how it affects revenge killing is of course a must mention.

Can I have a QC confirm this?

Also the OP is updated with a lot of questions.

Last edited:
What do the 8 Attack EVs do for you? You might as well move them into SpDef

Also it may be worth mentioning under moves that Transform is basically useless unless Imposter fails (For example, if the opponent is behind a Substitute)

Other than that looks good :)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
well you're only using the EVs outside of HP when ur in ditto wars so max def to take minimum damage from struggle, rest into attack to do more to opposing ditto. sdef is totally useless.

rest into attack to do more to opposing ditto.
Ok, this tells me that you haven't seen a Ditto vs Ditto scenario (or at least not analyzed it). The faster Ditto, or the one who wins the speedtie will lose. (the one who transforms into the other.) Once a Ditto has become another Ditto, other Ditto's can't transform into you and you can't transform into their Ditto. This means that the one who transforms first will only have 5 PP on Trasnform and will start to Struggle first, and therefore lose. so if your Ditto is already weakened, but you give him Atk EV's, you're lowering your chance to live, because their Struggle will do more damage against you. As I said earlier when commenting on how Ditto copies the IV's of the opp, I said that removing the Speed and Attack IV's where the best way to go.
sdef is totally useless.
So, no. SpD is not useless, you have 8 EV's you can do whatever you want with, and SpD is the best place to put them. If you put them in Attack, you're beeing counterproductive.

You should also mention that 248 EV's in HP also makes Ditto not only hit a SR number, but a Struggle number as well, which can be crucial.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Ok I want a QC to confirm this guy is correct (judging by the postcount but then again he may be a lurker)

Edit:
Desch: Hi, Piex
Piexplode: hi
Desch: just wanted to say how I know all this stuff about Ditto, since you're not sure about it yourself
Desch: anyways, despite my post count on Smogon I do have a lot of experience
Piexplode: I'm aware that
Piexplode: post count and experience
Piexplode: don't correlate too much
Piexplode: I wasn't discounting you
Desch: I know, but anyways
Piexplode: I just wanted a qualified voice to verify the knowledge
Desch: I can show you some replays and stuff showing some relevant Ditto plays
Piexplode: maybe make a pastebin of them or post them in the thread?
Desch: hmm, I dunno
Desch: it's like DM stuff
Desch: while it's just replays, I don't wanna say everything to everyone in that thread :P
Desch: I just think it should be you I'd tell this, 'cause you're the one writing the analysis or whatever
Desch: anyways I've got two replays
Desch: skip to turn 11 for some interesting stuff http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-80740688
Desch: And skip to turn 41 here, for a Ditto war http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-81493218
Desch: anyways, gl with the Ditto QC, and I'll see ya around
Desch: if you find this somewhat releveant, you can post the replays in the thread.
Desch: but I don't really think it is, so I won't
Piexplode: thanks
Piexplode: I still think
Piexplode: attack EVs
Piexplode: are better cos
Piexplode: u do more damage
Piexplode: vs opposing ditto
Piexplode: in struggle wars
Desch: no you don't
Piexplode: it doesn't affect your recoi
Piexplode: *recoil
Desch: because if they transform into you, they'll get you attack EV's
Desch: your*
Piexplode: hmm
Piexplode: it's a really backwards
Piexplode: situation
Desch: and if you transform into their's, you'll lose the ATk EV's
Piexplode: oooooooh
Piexplode: wow
Piexplode: that's neat and mad
Desch: so you finally understand
Piexplode: but
Piexplode: either way
Piexplode: u both end up
Desch: it's really complicated
Piexplode: with the same attack EVs
Piexplode: so..
Desch: no
Piexplode: hmm it seems that whoever wins the speed tie
Piexplode: gets the opps attack EVs
Desch: the first one to transform, stays transformed, makes the other ditto unable to transform
Piexplode: whilst the opp keeps their own attack EVs
Piexplode: yeah
Desch: yeah, what you said
Piexplode: so they both have
Piexplode: the same ditto's EVs
Piexplode: so really it doesn't make a difference either way..
Desch: one of the ditto's will get the other's stats, and will start Struggle first
Piexplode: indeed
Piexplode: but unless the speed tie loser is already significantly weakened
Piexplode: as in the replay
Piexplode: then it doesn't matter
Piexplode: I can see tho
Piexplode: hmm
Piexplode: yeah minimum attack IVs then too imo
Desch: yeah, excatly
Piexplode: best chance of survival in ur own worst situation
Piexplode: you can't blame me for not understanding that the first time
Piexplode: p complicated lol
Desch: of course not xD
Piexplode: is it okay if
Desch: I also thought of it that way at first :P
Piexplode: I c+p this convo into the thread
Desch: ok
Piexplode: and then yeah go with 8 Sdef EVs
Piexplode: and 0 attack IVs

convo between myself and Desch. We agree at the end that the best ditto spread is
248 HP
252 Def
8 Sdef
0 Attack IVs
0 Speed IVs

Last edited:

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
Mention how its mere presence supports by discouraging opponents from setting up (apart from CM Arceus) for fear of being counterswept. Mention under cons how being locked into one attack really hurts its countersweeping ability though (especially with the likes of Ekiller or Groundceus). Also that it can't check CM Arceus at all.

Set
Looks good. I'm not sure happiness needs mentioning, the PS teambuilder automatically makes it 255 anyway.

Usage Tips
Add picking the move to lock yourself into carefully (Ditto is often hard to get in and being stopped by an immunity right away sucks). Also mention taking advantage of Regenerator/Recover users with Ditto.

Team Options
What Fireburn said. Also mention that it's best used on offensive teams that don't want defensive mons that rob momentum to check stuff (balance/stall should just go with proper checks).

OO
lol

Checks & Counters
CM Arceus > Substitute > Status (especially para although depends what it transforms into) > Stall (any robust type synergy/solid defensive cores tend to cockblock it hard)

Zoroark is mostly a gimmick and I'm not sure Ditto vs Ditto ever happens although I guess you can mention it.

QC: 1/3

amcheck
Add - Remove - Comment[/COLOR]
Just, before I start, 'whilst' is not wrong, I just find 'while' to sound more fluid.

Overview
########
Whilst Ditto faces some competition from Goomy in the squishy purple blob department, it's role in the uUbers metagame is stillvery unique. With Imposter and a cChoice sScarf equipped, it is capable of revenge killing and scouting in a way no other Pokemon can matchvery effectively. However, whilst e Ditto does suffer from poor HP, and the inability to revenge kill healthy opponents often, and; while also being fairly ineffectual versus stall, the introduction of Mega Evolving and Sticky Web helps secure it a place in the metagame. It is a great deterrent for yourDitto's presence also makes opponents very wary to set up, as Ditto can copy all of their boosts.

Imposter
########
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:

Moves
========

Whilste Ditto has a wide and fantastic movepool, this is truly its optimal moveset, as no options other than Transform are truly viable, as the move is the crux of this set, with such game-breaking potentialDitto's only move.

Set Details
========

A Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed or tie with any opposing threats, allowing it to check sweepers and Megas Pokemon effectively. The EVs and IVs put it in the greatest possible situation; should you enter a war versus opposing Ditto. The IVs also give you a hHidden pPower type of Ice, but these can be adjusted, should any type seem more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Ditto is best brought in to revenge kill or by U-turn, Baton Pass, or Volt Switch. It can be used to scout movesets, or to revenge kill an opponent's Pokemon. Be careful in selecting a move, as after youDitto choose it you ares one, its locked into it, and immunities are particularly punishable. Versus defensive teams, dDitto's best options are to abuse recovery and, hazard setting, and hazard removal. Beware, however, that dDitto is vulnerable to all damaging hazards, although it is still effective under the conditions of Sticky Web.

Team Options
========

Ditto tends to act more as glue than pairing particularly well with any certain pokemon, but tends to work more effectively on offensive teams, as unlike many defensive pokemon, it checks a lot of pokemon in the metagame without robbkilling momentum. Pokemon that can set or remove hazards pair well with it, as well as pPokemon that can weaken opposing Xerneas and Ekxtreme Killer Arceus. Checks to Calm Mind Arceuse Forms are important tooas well, as Ditto has significant difficulty revenge killing them.

Other Options
########

Whilste it has a wide movepool, no other options for its moveset are particularly striking. Running Limber over Imposter serves no purpose, as does using a different item, although Focus Sash could recieive an honourable mention. Ditto's only other real option is adjusting its IVs to have a different Hidden Power type whenafter it copies an opponent whichthat uses it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Calm Mind Arceus**: Any Calm Mind Arceus is generally too bulky for dDitto to revenge kill. Bear in mind that Ditto's Judgement is always nNormal -type, unless it holds a plate, which it cannot afford to do.

**Substitute**: Ditto's Imposter and Transform are rendered totally useless by an unbroken Substitute. Illusion also stops Ditto, however Zoroark isn't generally considered viable in ubers.[/COLOR]
When is Zoroark ever used ?_?

**Status**: Ditto dislikes all form of status.
Consider making a bit longer, such as what status and what Pokemon that inflict it, etc.
**Stall**: Defensive buildteams leave Ditto with little options in terms of bringing its own utility to the team.

**Trapping**: After Ditto has revenge killed something, a trapper such as Mega Gengar can often remove it from play

Overview
########
Ditto's role in the Ubers metagame is very unique. With Imposter and a Choice Scarf equipped, it is capable of revenge killing and scouting very effectively. However, while Ditto does suffer from poor HP and the inability to revenge kill healthy opponents often; while also being fairly ineffectual versus stall, the introduction of Mega Evolving and Sticky Web helps secure it a place in the metagame. Ditto's presence also makes opponents very wary to set up, as Ditto can copy all of their boosts.

Imposter
########
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:

Moves
========

While Ditto has a wide and fantastic movepool, this is truly its optimal moveset, as Transform is Ditto's only move.

Set Details
========

A Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed or tie with any opposing threats, allowing it to check sweepers and Mega Pokemon effectively. The EVs and IVs put it in the greatest possible situation; should you enter a war versus opposing Ditto. The IVs also give you a Hidden Power type of Ice, but these can be adjusted, should any type seem more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Ditto is best brought in to revenge kill or by U-turn, Baton Pass, or Volt Switch. It can be used to scout movesets, or to revenge kill an opponent's Pokemon. Be careful in selecting a move, as after Ditto chooses one, its locked into it, and immunities are particularly punishable. Versus defensive teams, Ditto's best options are to abuse recovery, hazard setting, and hazard removal. Beware, however, that Ditto is vulnerable to all damaging hazards, although it is still effective under the conditions of Sticky Web.

Team Options
========

Ditto tends to act more as glue than pairing particularly well with any certain pokemon, but tends to work more effectively on offensive teams, as unlike many defensive pokemon, it checks a lot of pokemon in the metagame without killing momentum. Pokemon that can set or remove hazards pair well with it, as well as Pokemon that can weaken opposing Xerneas and Extreme Killer Arceus. Checks to Calm Mind Arceus Forms are important as well, as Ditto has significant difficulty revenge killing them.

Other Options
########

While it has a wide movepool, no other options for its moveset are particularly striking. Running Limber over Imposter serves no purpose, as does using a different item, although Focus Sash could receive an honourable mention. Ditto's only other real option is adjusting its IVs to have a different Hidden Power type after it copies an opponent that uses it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Calm Mind Arceus**: Any Calm Mind Arceus is generally too bulky for Ditto to revenge kill. Bear in mind that Ditto's Judgement is always Normal-type, unless it holds a plate, which it cannot afford to do.

**Substitute**: Imposter and Transform are rendered useless by an unbroken Substitute. Illusion also stops Ditto, however Zoroark isn't generally considered viable in ubers.

**Status**: Ditto dislikes all form of status.

**Stall**: Defensive teams leave Ditto with little options in terms of bringing its own utility to the team.

**Trapping**: After Ditto has revenge killed something, a trapper such as Mega Gengar can often remove it from play.

Last edited:
Remove Focus Sash mention, not even OO worthy. Also devote a sentence is Usage Tips describing why it performs well vs Sticky Webs (Ditto is used on HO teams -- many without hazard removal -- so having a revenge killer unaffected by Web is nice). Finally, mention in Team Options when discussing CM Arceus formes that Ditto cannot copy a plate. I feel this is worth bringing up since newer players on PS are often confused when their newly transformed Scarf Arceus-"Ghost" cannot revenge an opposing Arceus-Ghost for example. LOL you did this in checks & counters, my bad. Only real issues are some minor grammar-related stuff that the GP team will help you with.

QC 3/3

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2

Additions and changes [punctuation]
Deletions [punctuation]
[Comments]

Try not to use "whilst" in an analysis, and definitely not multiple times. It's obnoxious.

Overview
########
Whilst While Ditto faces some competition from Goomy in the squishy purple blob department, its role in the Ubers metagame is still unique. With Imposter and a Choice Scarf equipped, it is capable of revenge killing and scouting in a way no other Pokemon can match. However, whilst while it does suffer from poor HP, the inability to revenge kill healthy opponents often, and being fairly ineffectual versus stall, the introduction of Mega Evolving Evolutions and Sticky Web help secure it a place in the metagame as a deterrent to opposing setup Pokemon. It is a great deterrent for your opponent to set up.

Imposter
########
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:

Moves
========

Whilst While Ditto has a wide and fantastic movepool, this is truly its optimal moveset, as no options other than Transform are truly viable, as the move is the crux of this set, with such game-breaking potential.

[If you're going for something amusing, don't use "crux of this set". Use literally anything else]

Set Details
========

A Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed or tie with any opposing threats, allowing it to check sweepers and Mega Evolutions effectively. The EVs and IVs put it in the greatest possible situation should you enter a war against versus opposing Ditto. The IVs also give you a Hidden Power type of Ice, but these can be adjusted should any other type seem more useful.

Usage Tips
========

Ditto is best brought in to revenge kill or by U-turn, Baton Pass, or Volt Switch. It can be used to scout move sets [removed ,] or to revenge kill an opponent's Pokemon. Be careful in selecting a move, as after you choose it you are locked into it, and immunities are particularly punishable. Versus Against defensive teams, Ditto's best options are to abuse recovery and hazard setting and removal. Beware, [comma] however, [comma] that Ditto is vulnerable to all damaging hazards, although it is still effective under the conditions of Sticky Web [deleted .] and it performs very well against versus Sticky Web teams. [period] due to being a fast revenge killer that is unaffected by it.

Team Options
========

Ditto tends to acts more as glue than pairing particularly well with any certain Pokemon, but tends to work more effectively on offensive teams, as unlike many defensive pokemon, it checks a lot of Pokemon in the metagame without halting robbing momentum. Pokemon that can set or remove hazards pair well with it, as well as Pokemon that can weaken opposing Xerneas and Ekiller. Checks to Calm Mind Arceus are important too, [comma] as Ditto has significant difficult revenge killing them.

Other Options
########

Whilst While it has a wide movepool, no other options for its moveset are particularly striking. Running Limber over Imposter serves no purpose, as nor does using a different item. Ditto's only other real option is adjusting its IVs to have a different Hidden Power type when it copies an opponent which uses it.

Checks & Counters
########

**Calm Mind Arceus**: Any Calm Mind Arceus is generally too bulky for Ditto to revenge kill. Bear in mind Ditto's Judgement is always Normal-type, unless it holds a plate, which it cannot afford to do.

**Substitute**: Ditto's Imposter and Transform are rendered totally useless by an unbroken Substitute.

**Sword Dance Arceus-Ghost Lacking Shadow Claw** Due to the mechanics of Shadow Force, Ditto's Speed advantage means that it loses to Sword Dance Arceus-Ghost that lack Shadow Claw and run Shadow Force.

**Status**: Ditto dislikes all form of status. Paralysis in particular slowing it down is an issue for it, while whilst burn means it is unable to effectively imitate physical attackers. Toxic damage puts its life on a timer.

**Stall**: Defensive builds leave Ditto little options in terms of bringing its own utility to the team.

**Trapping**: After Ditto has revenge killed something, a trapper such as Mega Gengar can often remove it from play. [period]

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I went with the 'crux of this set' line because it is hyper cliché'd and we're specifically told never to use it, therefore I thought it would be funny to use it.

Reactions: Muk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)