Infernape

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I literally just woke up. I'm fine lol.

I said I wouldn't use fieldarmada's so I don't get why you would use that version for your editing lmao.
That's strange, I could've swore somebody added to the analysis, perhaps a moderator. Oh well. Take what you will from my am check, or ignore it.

I used fieldarmada's am check because it was a good am check and I honestly think you should implement it.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I think swords dance and Nasty Plot deserve atleast OO mentions, infernape has a priority move to go along with either boosting move as well.

I think swords dance and Nasty Plot deserve atleast OO mentions, infernape has a priority move to go along with either boosting move as well.
Infernape gets wrecked too hard by opposing priority as well as being too frail to really set up. The same counters for mixed are the same to both set up sets anyways so there really is no point.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Some comments I have

Overview

• the 6th gen is referred to as "XY" not "X and Y"
  • don't refer to pokemon as "he" or "she" when theyre not gendered. Talonflame is not.
  • not gunna ask you to rewrite this but I really don't much care for referring to Pokemon that are niche, and hard to use like infernape as "Behemoths" and "impossible to switch into" because this kinda takes away from the analyses of Pokemon that are the true behemoths of the meta. There is a more eloquent way of highlighting a Pokemon's abilities, and that is specifying its niche and uniqueness, which you did earlier in the analysis but threw it away in the end.
Set
  • there's a formatting error here. There should be a few more linebreaks, look at the analysis template here
Moves
  • The bit about the EVs is more of a set details thing, it's preferable to just say "Close Combat is good STAB blah blah", and then say it hits or gets the 2hko on some important targets, rather than detailing the EVs
  • there doesnt really need to be a linebreak here in the HP Ice's detailing
Set details
  • Talk about the primary spread first, it's first for a reason. Mention max attack and why its a good idea with flare blitz.
  • Mention specifically how 4 SpA Grass Knot OHKOs Quags anyways, and how Gliscor / Lando can't survive Flare Blitz + HP Ice
  • Talk briefly about how Iron Fist is necessary as it buffs Thunderpunch and MAch Punch much more consistently than Blaze can be
Usage tips
  • These are mostly fine, but a slightly more general "how-to" tip to start this section would be good. Dont copy what I say exactly, but something that details the facts that Infernape needs to enter the fray safely, as its HP is precious, and that it is best used to check something it can OHKO, and after that it is appropriate to live up to its role as an all out attacker and start swinging for the fences either directly attacking whats in front of your, or predicting the switch, whichever you feel is more likely
Other Options
  • There was some good stuff in the skeleton. Swords Dance, lead, etc, arent great but they should be briefly acknowledged
Counters and Checks
  • Mention more specific stuff here, and shorten the name of the counters. Azumarill, Latios, Hippowdon, Slowbro, and a handful of others are quite troublesome to Infernape, these should be mentioned explicitly. Usually you can just group the first check you have up into a "revenge killer" blanket where you can explain how faster, modestly powerful Pokes make easy checks to Infernape, then list a couple counter examples, Pokemon weak to Mach Punch mostly.
I would suggest "revenge killers", "mixed walls", and some specific pokes in each category, and then maybe some particularly notable and pervasive Pokemon for Infernape like Latios in their own section.

Ash Borer Changed the thing to fiery monkey and I think I fixed the formatting and I'll do what you say after I eat and stuff.

Do I really have to mention Swords Dance that shit does nothing but leaves you vulnerable and have more counters and checks than before while having the same as mixed and it's severely outclassed by other set up sweepers and even it's mixed self lmao. Fake Out at least has this thing for beating Deoxys-S 100% of the time (not including misses which suck) and hell at least NASTY PLOT is mixed idk but really Swords Dance? :/

Last edited:
Hidden Power Ice is incredibly lackluster as it only OHKO's D-Nite after SR in comparison into what you can't already easily 2HKO on switch-in. The ability to beat Hippowdon stall single handedly/handle Quagsire is extremely good, or the ability to pick off many Pokemon such as Bisharp and other Pokemon I keep on telling because I'm so lazy. I would rather have one of those WAY OVER Hidden Power Ice with Fire Blast. It's only good with Flare Blitz imo
'kay, that reasoning is sound, I have no quarrels with that, although in my experience HP Ice works just fine with Fire Blast. Flare Blitz just does too much damage in conjuction with Life Orb, so I've found it more beneficial to use Fire Blast. Also, most of the metagame is geared towards physical bulk, so Fire Blast lets you get past generic walls more easily. Also, HP Ice OHKOes such a big number of relevant Pokes that I've always regretted it when I've left it out. Fire Blast theoretically 2HKOes the Pokes you mentioned, but I would never switch a physical wall against Infernape, thus making the point somewhat moot. Grass Knot is a good move on Quag, and more consistent option against Hippo, although I'd never rely on Nape to get past the latter. But seeing as the analysis concentrates on emphasizing the stallbreaking potential of 'Nape, I can understand putting GK as first option. Mach Punch really is the worst move of the three, as the only Pokemon you can reliably kill with it is Bisharp if you're terribly afraid of Sucker Punch. Against Greninja you need more EVs in Attack to have a good chance to OHKO after SR, and Terrakion, M-Gyara and M-tar will never die to one Mach Punch, so I wouldn't call it a reliable revenge killing tool.

Timpsu Mach Punch stopping an extremely relevant and threatening Pokemon such as Bisharp alone is worth a slot, also, keep in mind that the chances increase a lot more for Greninja since at worst it will be taking at least one LO hit, by baiting to use a dark/ice move you can scare off Greninja for the rest of the match. Worst comes to worse you'll both die suiciding lmao.

Yes mega TTar and mega Gyarados can't be KO'd in one hit, but they're both set up sweepers so you should take into account the fact that they will probably be taking a hit and blah blah. Also because killing any low not ghost target is nice too. I would rather have this over hp ice with Fire Blast. They are slashes for a reason, it all depends on team composition to what move you should take, however the majority of the time hp ice is just not worth missing out over the other two.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's true that in actual situations Greninja, M-Gyara and M-Tar are likely taking hits, thus making them easier to berevenge-killed w/Mach Punch. However, as 'Nape's EVs are very flexible, I'd probably just put extra EVs in Attack to guarantee Mach Punch is actually strong enough to kill the things it's supposed to. The speed tier of 108 isn't very kind to Infernape, so one could even snatch a few EVs from there to enhance offenses, ofc that's not recommended but still. I've only used 'Nape in very offensive teams where he basically comes to field once a match, destroys as much as possible, then dies, so that explains my preference to HP Ice, but Grass Knot and Mach Punch have notable merits.

looks a lot better, good job man.
Thanks, lol. If there is anything I do specifically that's wrong with formatting please tell me because I'm new to QC threads so I suck lmao.
Yeah, it's true that in actual situations Greninja, M-Gyara and M-Tar are likely taking hits, thus making them easier to berevenge-killed w/Mach Punch. However, as 'Nape's EVs are very flexible, I'd probably just put extra EVs in Attack to guarantee Mach Punch is actually strong enough to kill the things it's supposed to. The speed tier of 108 isn't very kind to Infernape, so one could even snatch a few EVs from there to enhance offenses, ofc that's not recommended but still. I've only used 'Nape in very offensive teams where he basically comes to field once a match, destroys as much as possible, then dies, so that explains my preference to HP Ice, but Grass Knot and Mach Punch have notable merits.
Forgot to reply to this earlier, but I don't need that much attack is really necessary, it's enough to OHKO Bisharp and it does 50% to mega Gyara and 60% to mega TTar iirc which isn't terribly hard to get them that low, also keep in mind if it's Ape vs Gyara if it doesn't mega evolve you (at least have a decent chance to) OHKO with thunder punch despite intimidate and Gyara is a common switch in to Infernape so yeah lol.

Okay, added some more of what TheManlyLadybug suggested in the overview as well as overall grammar corrections. Would like a GP check soon so I can see what else I should fix as well as hopefully getting 1/2 lol.

I am not GP, just practicing, you do not have to implement a word of this post, in fact, you can ignore it!
add - remove - comment
Overview
########
Infernape, the well known Fire-type starter of DPP, is here to swing into XY OU, utilizing its mixed prowess and great coverage to break through defensive teams! Unfortunately, other Pokemon came between DPP and now that give Infernape some competition,. Talonflame and its priority Brave Bird's combined with Flare Blitz gives Infernape some competition as a fast fiery Pokemon, andwhile Terrakion is has a much higher Attacka lot stronger on the physical side. Infernape's biggest competition is Keldeo, however, due to Keldeo's power as well as being able to hit specially defensive walls with Secret Sword. Furthermore, many prevalent Pokemon such as Deoxys-S, Azumarill, and Talonflame give Infernape plenty of problems and combined that with relatively weak attack stats of 104, as well as being really frail, and you have a Pokemon that has trouble fitting in to the current metagame. However, Infernape has the advantage of being able to go either physical ANDor refrain from going all caps special, thanks to the fact that Infernape has great STAB's from both sides of the spectrum as well as great coverage moves, both physical and special. With thisAlong with great coverage, the amount of walls that can switch in are extremely limited, allowing Infernape to break defensive teams and become a win condition that will climb you to victory, as few can switch into this fiery monkey! :]

MixApe
########
remove space here
name: MixApe
move 1: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Thunder Punch
move 4: Grass Knot / Mach Punch / Hidden Power Ice
ability: Iron Fist
item: Life Orb
evs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Speed
nature: Naive
should only be one space, not two
remove space here
Moves
========
remove space here
Close Combat is mandatory, as it is Infernape's strongest fighting STAB move when saying STAB, don't forget to say STAB move as well :]and allows you hit even neutral Pokemon for some solid damage. Fire Blast is preferred as the Fire STAB move for good damage on that hits physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Gliscor for solid damage. and although Flare Blitz hits harder in general, butit leaves you walled by aforementioned threats without Hidden Power Ice and also leaves you susceptible to King's Shield from Aegislash, allowing himdon't use him or her when talking about specific Pokemon, as they can be either gender, the proper term is 'it' to take a hit and remove Infernape for the rest of the match unless you switch.effectively crippling Infernape until it switches. Thunder Punch is an amazing move on Infernape, as it is boosted by Iron Fist and hits many common switch insand should always be taken. With Iron Fist+Thunder Punch, many seemingly good switch ins, such as Gyarados, Talonflame, and Azumarill, etc. to get wrecked by a Thunder Punch as they send it in. It'sThunder Punch is also as strong as a neutral Close Combat, making it the best move against fighting neutral PokemonPokemon who are neutral to Fighting-type moves such as Mandibuzz and Keldeo, allowing you to avoid a drop in defenses. For the last slot, Grass Knot is a solid option since it allows you to hit two usually amazing checks, Quagsire and Hippowdon, hard. OHKOing the former and 2hkoing physically defensive variants of the latter Quagsire and 2HKOing Physically Defensive variants of Hippowdown. Mach Punch is also useful in order to revenge kill threats like +1 Mega Gyarados, +1 Mega Tyranitar, Greninja, and Bisharp. W, while preventing a speed tie with Terrakion & other 108sand other base 108 Speed Pokemon don't use &, always spell it out, and also, don't say Speed tiers such as 108s, write it as base 108 Speed Pokemon :]. If you do decide to go with the aforementioned Flare Blitz, Hidden Power Ice can be used as the final move for hitting Lando-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Gliscor the hardest.

remove space here
Set Details
========
remove space here
168 Attack EV's givesensures Close Combat is a guaranteed OHKO on Heatran and also 2HKO'es Rotom-Wash after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Ice guarantees a OHKO on Gliscor, Landorus-I and Dragonite after Stealth Rock. Even if you decide not to go with Hidden Power Ice, 88 SpA EVs also allows Infernape to 2HKO Gliscor and Lando-T with Fire Blast, allowing space for Grass Knot or Mach Punch, making Infernape harder to wall and giving it more utility. Max speed investment is mandatory to tie with other base 108 Speed Pokemon like such as Keldeo and outspeeding stuffPokemon below base 108 Speed like Garchomp. If you go with Flare Blitz, 252 Attack EV's is a good idea if you go with Flare Blitz, as Hidden Power Ice and Grass Knot are meant for 4x weak targets barring Hippowdon and even with only 4 Special. Attack EVs Infernape still OHKO's Quagsire with Grass Knot, andwhile Gliscor/ and Landorus-T still get killed byafter Flare Blitz+ and Hidden Power Ice. With this, Flare Blitz guarantees 2HKO on Mega-Venusaur after SR, while Fire Blast doesn't. AlsoFlare Blitz also guarantee's a 2HKO on Sylveon, which, again, Fire Blast would fail to do. For abilities always take Iron Fist since Thunder Punch and (if you choose to go with it) Mach Punch and is consistently useful unlike BlazeIron Fist is the preferred ability as it boosts Thunder Punch and Mach Punch, while not being as situational as Blaze.

remove space here
Usage Tips
========
remove space here
Infernape is a mixed supporting attackerwallbreaker rather than a sweeper, so you shouldn't despair at Infernape fainting as it's paving for your other sweepers. It's strong STABS moves allow Infernape to break through many walls that are common in stall, such as Chansey, Heatran, and Skarmory., etc.. This combined with Infernape's nice coverage and speed tier allows Infernape to threaten and KO a majority of Pokemon on the switch-in, Infernape will be able to pave through just fine! Meh However, when using Infernape you need to make sure that you aren't too reckless, as recoil makes it easily worn down through Life Orb as well as entry hazards and occasionally sand, especially if you wentchoose to use with Flare Blitz. Having a Pokemon with U-turn or Volt Switch would greatly compliments Infernape's ability to wallremove space herebreak since you can safely switch itInfernape in on a Pokemon you can OHKO and get someone else on switch-inI just don't understand this sentence at all..

remove space here
Team Options
========
remove space here
Infernape has plenty of good teammates members that can compliment himit. Rotom-W is a great pick all around, as it resists Water, Flying, and immune to Ground, and switches into Talonflame, Azumarill and Mega-Pinsir, who threaten Infernape with SE priority, as well as having Volt Switch allowing Infernape to get into a battle making sure it doesn't get hit, seeing as how Infernape is frail and will be taking a lot of residual damage as it is. Substitute Kyurem-B with Fusion Bolt as well as Thundurus-I are also good options, dealing with bulky waters that Infernape might struggle with, such as Slowbro. Bisharp is an amazing choice for a team member, as it scares and knocks out Lati@sLatios and Latias with either Sucker Punch or Pursuit, as well as gaining +2 if Lati@sLatios and Latias Lati@s is the incorrect terminology, say both Latios and Latias uses Defog as Bisharp is sent out. Hazards Deoxys-S/ and Deoxys-D work well with Infernape, as, like other mixed attackers, Infernape operates best with stacked hazards because it forces a ton of switches, and those that come on the switch-in will be forced to take hazards damage, further weakening peoplePokemon that try to switch in on Infernape. Late-game sweepers like Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard X, Talonflame, DDand Dragonite, who appreciate Infernape wearing down their checks. If your Mega Slot has not been used, offensive Mega Venusaur is also a good option, countering checks to Infernape such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Thundurus-I. While breaking through Clefable and Sylveon, both who can set up on Infernape otherwise. Finally, Latios and Latias will like Infernape's ability to beat Chansey, Heatran, Skarmory, and Hippowdon if running Grass Knot. WillLatios and Latias also appreciate Infernape being able to check Scizor and Bisharp with Fire Blast and Mach Punch respectively.

remove space here
Other Options
########
remove space here
Infernape can run Choice Band if you have a Drought Pokemon in your team, (aka Mega Charizard Y) as it's able to hit EXTREMELY HARD with Flare Blitz while being speedy and have +1 STAB Close Combats given out to anything that can tank out +2 Fire moves. This set is very life-risking thanks to the amount of recoil you will be dealing to yourself, however, and in every scenario but CB Infernape without sun won't gain enough of a power spike to afford being unable to switch moves, allowing it to get walled fairly easily by most physical walls
. Infernape can run a Choice Band set with Sun support, as it its very hard with Flare Blitz and also has a very powerful Close Combat for Pokemon who resist Fire-type moves. However, this set will take massive recoil thanks to the insane damage Flare Blitz dishes out. Infernape also appreciates being able to switch moves, as wallbreaking is its main niche. these few sentences were very messy

A lead Infernape set with Fake Out and Focus Sash could also work thanks to it's ability to check the common Deoxys-S leads with Fake Out+Fire Blast. Unfortunately, Infernape will lose a lot of power by losing Life Orb and once its sash is gone it will probably have no impact for the rest of the match.
consider combining these three blurbs into one large blurb
A Nasty Plot set with Close Combat is also an option because it clean 2HKO's many otherwise huge threats to special sweepers such as Chansey and Heatran while still having Fire Blast and a coverage move of choice. However, Infernape is frail and will get shut down by most revenge killers and Infernape cannot do anything about about it. O, often making setting up meaningless.

Checks & Counters
########

**Revenge Killers**: Due to Infernape's sheer frailty, anything that's faster than it will probably kill it, especially super effective priority. If Infernape cannot kill it with Mach Punch then you got to switch or you're screwed. Pokemon that resist Mach Punch Pokemon such as Azumarill, Talonflame, and Deoxys-S are able to revenge kill Infernape with their priority moves, or, in Deoxys-S' case, Super Effective STAB moves. this right here needs some fixing, but don't forget to mention that Azumarill and Talonflame have super effective priority moves, Deoxys-S is faster and has a super effective move, etc.are in this category.

**Mixed Walls**: Pokemon that resist Infernape's moves and also have good Defenses will be able to take on anything Infernape throughs at them.a typing or a really good stat for one hit so by investing in the reverse, preventing Infernape from being able to remove it and allowing the wall to do whatever it pleasesThis sentence just makes me confused?. Specially Defensive Hippowdon (if lacking Grass Knot)Specially Defensive Hippowdown is 2HKOed by Grass Knot, so idk hereand Slowbro in particular are massive problems for Infernape, both being able to take two Fire Blasts/ and Close Combats andwhile recovering any lost health with Slack Off, while Infernape is OHKOed in return by Earthquake and Scald respectively.Slack it Off, (bad puns too good) while OHKO'ing with Earthquake/Scald.

**Latios and Latias**: Latios and Latias both Resists your entire moveset if lacking HP Ice, outspeeds, and OHKO's with Draco Meteor or Psyshock shrug off anything Infernape throughs at them while outspeeding and OHKOing with either Draco Meteor or Psyshock. Flare Blitz actually 2HKOes Latios, so idk here again.

Nice job, you just need to work on some stuff next time such as using &, he and she, and try to refrain from using / too much, instead use and. That's all! :]

Chesnaught no screw you for removing my pun

jk gonna implement some of what actually especially the mixed wall bit because even I admit that's confusing as hell, ik I'm not going to change the Latios and Latias part though because of what you said lol.

Last edited:
That actually was a good pun I'll give you that, but if you use it try and reword it maybe to while Slacking Off to regain recovery or something along the lines of that ;]

That actually was a good pun I'll give you that, but if you use it try and reword it maybe to while Slacking Off to regain recovery or something along the lines of that ;]
So I did. :] Added everything you put including what you said about Latios and Latias at the end now.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, sorry I didn't catch this the first time, but just something to change:

Talonflame and its priority Brave Bird's combined with Flare Blitz gives Infernape some competition as a fast fiery Pokemon, and Terrakion has a much higher attack stat.
This sentence doesn't really make sense since neither Talonflame nor Terrakion are that great at dismantling defensive/slower teams, which is where Infernape's niche tends to lie (though Terrakion can admittedly give some a run for their money, it's not so well known for this role). Much better examples would be Pokemon like Kyurem-B or Landorus.

Hey, sorry I didn't catch this the first time, but just something to change:

This sentence doesn't really make sense since neither Talonflame nor Terrakion are that great at dismantling defensive/slower teams, which is where Infernape's niche tends to lie (though Terrakion can admittedly give some a run for their money, it's not so well known for this role). Much better examples would be Pokemon like Kyurem-B or Landorus.
Well you guys told me to go with what I put way back in the skeleton and had no problems with it so I figured it would work now. :/

How should I word Infernape's competition to Kyurem-B and Landorus-I then?

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well you guys told me to go with what I put way back in the skeleton and had no problems with it so I figured it would work now. :/ How should I word Infernape's competition to Kyurem-B and Landorus-I then?
Yes, I know we overlooked it before, but it needs to be changed now. My apologies.

Just mention that Kyurem-B and Landorus are both great at dismantling slower and/or defensive teams as well, and by virtue of this, they compete with Infernape's role.

Yes, I know we overlooked it before, but it needs to be changed now. My apologies.

Just mention that Kyurem-B and Landorus are both great at dismantling slower and/or defensive teams as well, and by virtue of this, they compete with Infernape's role.
My bad, just got pretty annoyed that I had to do even MORE EDITING after just spending an hour on editing this lmao. Thankfully I got what you put done in like 5 minutes. Sorry about that. :/

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quickbobhero
Add

Remove
Comments
Overview
########
Infernape, the well known Fire-type starter of DPP, is here to swing into XY OU, utilizing its mixed prowess and great coverage to break through defensive teams. Unfortunately, other Pokemon that came between DPP and now that give Infernape some competition. Kyurem-B and Landorus-I are both great at dismantling slower defensive teams as well, while having stronger base Attack and Special Attack. However, Infernape's biggest competition competitor is Keldeo, however, due to Keldeo's its generally greater power as well as being able to hit its ability to hit specially defensive walls with Secret Sword. Furthermore, many prevalent Pokemon such as Deoxys-S, Azumarill, and Talonflame give Infernape plenty of problems,(AC) and when combined with its relatively weak attack stats of 104 / 104 as well as being really frail its frailness, you have a Pokemon that has trouble fitting in to the current metagame. However, Infernape has the advantage of being able to go either physical or special, thanks to the fact that Infernape has great STAB moves, both physical and special physical and special STAB moves. Along with Due to its great coverage, the amount of walls that can switch in are extremely limited, allowing Infernape to break defensive teams and become a win condition, as few can switch into this fiery monkey.

MixApe
########
name: MixApe
move 1: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Thunder Punch
move 4: Grass Knot / Mach Punch / Hidden Power Ice
ability: Iron Fist
item: Life Orb
evs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Speed
nature: Naive

Moves
========
Close Combat is mandatory, as it is Infernape's strongest fighting STAB move and allows you hit even neutral Pokemon for some solid damage. Fire Blast is preferred as the Fire STAB move for to hit physically defensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Gliscor for solid damage. Flare Blitz hits harder in general, but it leaves you walled by the aforementioned threats without unless you're running Hidden Power Ice and also leaves you susceptible to King's Shield from Aegislash the Attack drop from Aegislash's King's Shield, which effectively crippling cripples Infernape until it switches. Thunder Punch is an amazing move on Infernape and should always be taken used as it is boosted by Iron Fist and hits many common switch-ins (hyphen),(RC) such as Gyarados, Talonflame, and Azumarill. A super effective Thunder Punch is also as strong as a neutral Close Combat, making it the best move against Pokemon neutral to Fighting-type moves such as Mandibuzz and Keldeo, allowing you to avoid a drop in defenses the defense drops. For the last slot, Grass Knot is a solid option since it allows you to hit two usually amazing solid checks, Quagsire and Hippowdon. OHKOing Quagsire and 2HKOing Specially Defensive Hippowdon. Mach Punch is also useful in order to revenge kill threats like +1 Mega Gyarados, +1 Mega Tyranitar, Greninja, and Bisharp, while preventing a speed tie with Terrakion and other base 108 base Speed Pokemon. If you do decide to go with the aforementioned Flare Blitz, Hidden Power Ice can be used as the final move for hitting Lando-T, Garchomp, Dragonite,(AC) and Gliscor.

Set Details
========
168 Attack EV's EVs ensures Close Combat is a guaranteed OHKO on Heatran and 2HKOes Rotom-Wash after Stealth Rock. Hidden Power Ice guarantees a OHKO on Gliscor, Lando-I,(AC) and Dragonite after Stealth Rock. Even if you decide not to go with Hidden Power Ice, 88 SpA EVs also allows Infernape to 2HKO Gliscor and Lando-T with Fire Blast, allowing space for it to run Grass Knot or Mach Punch, making Infernape harder to wall and giving it more utility. Max Speed investment is mandatory to tie with other base 108 Speed Pokemon such as Keldeo and outspeeding Pokemon below base 108 speed like Garchomp. If you go with Flare Blitz, 252 Attack EV's EVs is a good idea, as Hidden Power Ice and Grass Knot are meant for 4x weak targets barring Hippowdon and even with only 4 Special Attack EV's EVs Infernape still OHKO's OHKOes Quagsire with Grass Knot, while Gliscor and Landorus-T still get beaten after with Flare Blitz and Hidden Power Ice. With this, Flare Blitz guarantees the 2HKO on Sylveon and Mega-Venusaur after SR Stealth Rock damage, while Fire Blast doesn't. Flare Blitz also guarantees a 2HKO on Sylveon, which, again, Fire Blast would fail to do. Iron Fist is the preferred ability as it boosts Thunder Punch and Mach Punch, while not being as situational as Blaze.

Usage Tips
========
Infernape is a mixed wallbreaker rather than a sweeper, so you shouldn't despair at Infernape fainting as it's paving for your other sweepers when Infernape faints, as it has probably paved the road for your team's sweepers (other sweepers signifies that Infernape is a sweeper itself, so you're contradicting yourself here.). It's Infernape's strong STAB moves allow Infernape it to break through many walls that are common in stall, such as Chansey, Heatran, and Skarmory. This combined with Infernape's nice coverage and speed allow Infernape it to threaten and KO a the majority of Pokemon on the switch-in. However, when using Infernape you need to make sure that you aren't too reckless, as recoil makes it is easily worn down through by Life Orb recoil as well as entry hazards and occasionally sand, especially if you choose to use Flare Blitz (The only move in the set that has recoil IS Flare Blitz). Having a Pokemon with U-turn or Volt Switch greatly compliments Infernape's ability to wallbreak since you can safely switch Infernape in.

Team Options
========
Infernape has plenty of good teammates that can compliment it. Rotom-Wash is generally a great pick all around, as it resists Water, Flying, and is immune to Ground, and switches into Talonflame, Azumarill,(AC) and Mega-Pinsir, who threaten Infernape with SE super effective priority moves. as well as Rotom-W also has having Volt Switch allowing to allow Infernape to get into a battle while making sure it doesn't get hit, seeing as how Infernape is frail and will be taking a lot of residual damage as it is. (I broke this sentence up; it is pretty damn long and clunky.) Substitute Kyurem-B with Fusion Bolt as well as Thundurus-I are also good options, dealing with bulky Water-types that Infernape might struggle with, such as like Slowbro. Bisharp is an amazing choice for a team member, as it scares and (Sucker Punch isn't going to do anything if you 'scare' it out; alternatively, keep the 'scare' part but reword it so it means 'it can either scare Lati@s out and go for the Knock Off / Pursuit on the switch, or Sucker Punch if it decides to stay in for whatever reason') knocks out or traps Latios and Latias with either Sucker Punch or Pursuit, as well as gaining +2 Attack if Latios and or Latias uses Defog as Bisharp is sent out. Hazards Lead Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D work well with Infernape; as, like as with other mixed attackers, Infernape operates best with stacked entry hazards because it forces a ton of switches, and those that come on the switch-in (remove hyphen) will be forced to take hazards damage, further weakening Pokemon that try to switch in on Infernape. Late-game sweepers like Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard X, Talonflame, and Dragonite, who appreciate Infernape wearing down their checks. If your Mega Slot has not been used, offensive Mega Venusaur is also a good option, as it can countering checks to Infernape such as Azumarill, Keldeo, and Thundurus-I,(AC) while breaking through Clefable and Sylveon, both who can otherwise set up on Infernape otherwise. Finally, Latios and Latias will like Infernape's ability to beat Chansey, Heatran, Skarmory, and Hippowdon if running Grass Knot. Latios and Latias also appreciate Infernape being able to check Scizor and Bisharp with Fire Blast and Mach Punch respectively.

Other Options
########
Infernape can run a Choice Band set with sun support, as it hits very hard with Flare Blitz and also has a very powerful Close Combat for Pokemon who resist Fire-type moves. However, this set will take massive recoil thanks to the insane damage Flare Blitz dishes out. Infernape also appreciates being able to switch moves, as wallbreaking is its main niche.

A lead Infernape set with Fake Out and Focus Sash could also work thanks to it's its ability to check the common Deoxys-S leads with Fake Out+ and Fire Blast. Unfortunately, Infernape will lose a lot of power by losing Life Orb and once its Focus Sash is gone it will probably have no impact for the rest of the match won't be too useful for the rest of the match.

A Nasty Plot set with Close Combat is also an option because it cleanly 2HKO's 2HKOes many otherwise huge threats to special sweepers such as Chansey and Heatran while still having Fire Blast and a coverage move of choice. However, Infernape is frail and will get shut down by most revenge killers, often making setting up meaningless.

Checks & Counters
########
**Revenge Killers**: Due to Infernape's sheer frailty, anything that's faster than it will probably kill it, especially if it has super effective priority. If Infernape cannot kill it with Mach Punch then you got to switch or you're screwed you must switch or else Infernape will most likely be knocked out (please don't ever use "you're screwed" in an analysis). Pokemon such as Azumarill, Talonflame, and Deoxys-S are able to revenge kill Infernape with their priority moves, or, in Deoxys-S's case, super effective STAB moves.

**Mixed Walls**: Pokemon that resist Infernape's moves and also have good defenses will be able to take on anything Infernape throughs throws at them. Specially Defensive Hippowdon (if lacking Grass Knot) and Slowbro in particular are massive problems for Infernape, both being able to take Infernape's STAB moves Fire Blasts and Close Combats whiling Slacking Off and using Slack Off (get it?) (please don't dad joke me) to recover any lost health while Infernape is OHKOed in return by Earthquake and Scald respectively.

**Latios and Latias**: Latios and Latias both shrug off anything Infernape throughs throws at them while outspeeding and OHKOing with either Draco Meteor or Psyshock.

Some broken sentences and some unnecessary stuff.
Anyway, please rearrange the overview section so that the positive traits are grouped with each other, same for the negative traits. So basically, write 'all the good stuff about this flaming monkey' followed by 'all the bad stuff about this burning ape'.

EDIT: Sorry, the colours might not be noticeable, but it's 'EVs'; there's no apostrophe between V and s.
EDIT 2: Some stuff you missed. Keldeo is a 'competitor', the statement about OHKOing Quagsire is still broken, the Thunder Punch statement is still unchanged, as is the Speed investment part.

GP 1/2

Last edited:
I still have to add what hory told me to put before I am ready for my final GP.
WIP is used before QC Checks when its still being created. Quality Control is used when its getting QC checks and Copyediting is used when it getting GP checks.

Thunder Punch is also as strong as a neutral Close Combat, making it the best move against Pokemon neutral to Fighting-type moves such as Mandibuzz and Keldeo, allowing you to avoid the defenses drop.
This should be "A super effective Thunder Punch" at the start of the sentence as a neutral Tpunch does half the damage as a neutral CC. Also "neutral to Fighting-type moves" should be removed as you have already stated that the CC is neutral earlier in the sentence

EDIT: In relation to the first point this info is on the OP of the XY OU Analysis Reservation Index

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)