move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Roost
move 4: Taunt
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With great coverage in only two attacking moves, blistering Speed, and access to Roost and Taunt to beat stall teams, Aerodactyl finds a great niche on offensive teams outside of the lead spot. Stone Edge is Aerodactyl's primary STAB move and deals a lot of damage to Pokemon who do not resist it. Earthquake completes the infamous EdgeQuake combo, which provides fantastic type coverage. Roost alleviates the weaknesses given by Aerodactyl's Flying typing, and lets him heal against weak special attacks like Blissey's Ice Beam. With max Speed, Aerodactyl outspeeds every non-boosted Pokemon in the metagame bar Jolteon, Crobat, and Ninjask, all of whom are hit for super effective damage with the two moves provided.</p>

<p>Tyranitar and Magnezone are two great partners for Aerodactyl. Tyranitar provides sandstorm, which increases Aerodactyl's Special Defense and makes him one of the best Heatran switch-ins in the game. Tyranitar can also lure some of Aerodactyl's counters with a bait set, including Gliscor, Bronzong, and Breloom. Magnezone traps pesky Steel-types who get in Aerodactyl's way, like Choice Scarf Jirachi and Scizor. Pokemon who resist the EdgeQuake combination, like Breloom, Flygon, and Bronzong, are great counters to this set. Faster Choice Scarf users, such as Rotom-A, cannot switch in without losing a large chunk of health, but can easily revenge kill Aerodactyl.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Entry hazards and hard-hitting Pokemon are extremely beneficial when attempting to clean up with Aerodactyl. In particular, Stealth Rock helps Aerodactyl get the guaranteed KO on bulky Gyarados after Intimidate. Because Aerodactyl doesn't hit extremely hard, having powerful attackers like Mixed Dragonite on his side helps Aerodactyl break down bulky walls, such as Hippowdon, Celebi, and Swampert.</p>

<p>Fire Blast and Crunch are potential replacements for Taunt if you want to hurt offensive teams rather than stall-oriented teams. Even with a hindering nature, Fire Blast OHKOes physically defensive Forretress 100% of the time, as well as eliminating Scizor after Stealth Rock damage. Crunch can be used to 2HKO Celebi after some residual damage, and provides a more accurate attack to deal with Psychic- and Ghost-type threats, particularly Rotom-A. In addition, Aerodactyl can find a niche on stall teams. While this may not seem plausible at first glance due to Aerodactyl's horrible defenses, he checks many common threats to stall teams, such as Infernape, Gliscor, Taunt Heatran, Lucario, Scarf Tyranitar, and Mixed Dragonite.</p>

Having played with this set extensively, Taunt should definitely be the first option in the last slot. It gives Aero some stall breaking potential and prevents T-waves and WoWs. Fire Fang's utility is limited only really hitting Bronzong. Scizor's taking enough from Stone Edge and Forretress gets Taunted. Crunch probably doesn't deserve a slash either as it's only hitting for 10 more power than Stone Edge, but I guess if you don't like SE's accuracy it may be worth it.

Yes I've been using taunt lately, and combined with roost, it decimates stall. the only reason id want crunch is to hit gengar, starmie, and celebi harder. but im not completely sure if it deserves a slash.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This set looks promising, just be sure to make the distinction that this is for clean up not for sweeping if/when you write the analysis, because I dont think Aerodactyl has the power to sweep (Scizor says hi as well).

i said multiple times in the perks that its a great cleaner, so yes im aware of that. i also mentioned scizor as well so i dont see what point you're trying to make...

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Magnezone should definitely be listed as a potential partner due to its ability of removing Bronzong, Scizor and Metagross (another huge counter for that set, as it can beat Aerodactyl with Bullet Punch and has enough bulk to take a hit) from the game.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i said multiple times in the perks that its a great cleaner, so yes im aware of that. i also mentioned scizor as well so i dont see what point you're trying to make...
Im giving my support for this set as long as you state that its a good cleaner and not a sweeper (which you did), so I support...

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Some things about Crunch that Stone Edge cannot do:

• It guarantees a 2HKO on Defensive Rotom after Stealth Rock + Leftovers. Stone Edge has a 70% chance, and is fairly less reliable. Also has a small chance to OHKO Choice Rotom on the switch after SR (albeit it's a very small chance, but still).
  • Can 2HKO Dusknoir with SR, but needs one layer of Spikes to guarantee it with Leftovers taken into account.
  • 80% chance to OHKO Offensive Starmie after SR. Stone Edge only has around a 48% chance.
  • Can hit certain Celebi sets for guaranteed 2HKO's after Leftovers without SR. Kind of unimportant with SR in play, and Defensive/Cleric isn't 2HKO'd either way.
Whether or not this is important to add to the analysis is up to you. The first three points seem to be the major reasons to slash it in.

I think Heatran should be listed as a possible team-mate, possibly Substitute Heatran. It easily takes Bullet Punch from Scizor, sets up a Substitute, and can use Explosion or even Taunt to deal with Blissey.

I don't really see how Roost is helping. On something naturally bulky such as Zapdos, I can see Roost having some utility. On Aerodactyl though, with its pitiful HP and Defenses, I just don't see the point. I would actually suggest something like Crunch, to hit non-Scarf Starmie, Rotom-A on the switch, as well as Gengar.

Oh, and get rid of Fire Fang, and replace it with Fire Blast. Even with a Jolly nature, it 2HKOs standard Defense Skarmory, and does more damage against SpD Skarmory than Fire Fang. Just move the 4 HP EVs into SpA.

I don't really see how Roost is helping. On something naturally bulky such as Zapdos, I can see Roost having some utility. On Aerodactyl though, with its pitiful HP and Defenses, I just don't see the point. I would actually suggest something like Crunch, to hit non-Scarf Starmie, Rotom-A on the switch, as well as Gengar.
Here's where I would completely disagree. People forget Aerodactyl becomes THE best Heatran switch-in in the game during Sandstorm :(

Also, Fire Fang is just a shit move with its 65 Base Power. Go for Fire Blast always, like shiny pidgey mentioned. It's base power difference more than offsets the EV investment and nature.

For Fire Blast, you could make the nature Hasty (I'm not sure if it cuts defense while raising speed at the same time, so if I'm wrong, I ask to be corrected) to increase the power slightly. Aerodactyl has no business getting hit by physical moves anyways, and can only perfectly deal with Scizor on the switchin (Or leave the job to Magnezone if the user switches out expecting the Punch).

Ok first of all, Roost is extremely helpful. EXTREMELY helpful for demolishing stall. How is taunting skarmory gonna help if you get killed by Brave Bird? Roost helps heal off SR damage as well as helping out against Blissey's seismic tosses. It also gets rid of its flying weakness, so you can laugh at Blisseys Ice Beam's if TTars SS is activated (which i mentioned in the partners section). It also helps with things like switching into heatran in sandstorm. switch in, survive the fire blast, heal in its face, and continue to wreak havoc on the opponent. Roost is definitely one of the key moves to this set and in no way will it be removed. On you're fire blast point, i dropped fire fang for taunt anyways, so i won't use either of them. Crunch is definitely getting a slash though!

Edit: God dammit, ninja'd by RL.

For Fire Blast, you could make the nature Hasty (I'm not sure if it cuts defense while raising speed at the same time, so if I'm wrong, I ask to be corrected) to increase the power slightly. Aerodactyl has no business getting hit by physical moves anyways, and can only perfectly deal with Scizor on the switchin (Or leave the job to Magnezone if the user switches out expecting the Punch).
No need for Hasty. Jolly 2HKOs Skarmory with Fire Blast, without SpD investment. If they run SpD, it's a 3HKO.

Here's where I would completely disagree. People forget Aerodactyl becomes THE best Heatran switch-in in the game during Sandstorm :(
Genuinely curious here, but how much does Aerodactyl take from Fire Blast in a Sandstorm, and can it be O/2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage?

Fuck no. It takes SHIT from it. FB in SS does 27.5% - 32.5%. thats just lol. SPECS OVERHEAT does 52 - 62. Mind you, specs overheat ohkos mence and offensive gyara after rocks, but doesnt to aerodactyl. one quick roost and aerodactly lols at it. blissey ice beam does 30 - 36 in ss and roost makes it lol. offensive cune with lefties (lo is rare nowadays) does 67.5% - 80.1% to aero in ss as well, so it can tank hits very well surprisingly in sandstorm.

Fuck no. It takes SHIT from it. FB in SS does 27.5% - 32.5%. thats just lol. SPECS OVERHEAT does 52 - 62. Mind you, specs overheat ohkos mence and offensive gyara after rocks, but doesnt to aerodactyl. one quick roost and aerodactly lols at it. blissey ice beam does 30 - 36 in ss and roost makes it lol.
...0_0.

Wow. Didn't know Aerodactyl was so hard to kill in Sandstorm. That...that's fucking boss, man. If could put that awesome Koffing stamp on this, I would.

Also, I was wrong about Roost. Keep it, and Taunt. Keep the slash on Fire Blast though, since the kill on Skarmory is invaluable to some teams. You may want to that Choice Scarf Starmie causes serious problems, even if you run Choice Scarf Tyranitar, because if you switch in Tyranitar when they Surf, they can 2HKO you, and then you're kind of screwed. I know you already mentioned Starmie, but it really is a threat, and can defeat all your counters. Switch to Salamence, eat an Ice Beam. Tyranitar gets Surfed/Hydro Pumped. Starmie, Rapid Spin Starmie at least, is out-sped and nearly OHKO-ed by Thunderbolt (you'll do the same, but they're going first, so they'll get the KO). I did that calc with the standard Rapid Spin Starmie.

Oh, and one last note. You might want to add some Pokemon that take advantage of the fact that Aerodactyl can defeat both Blissey and Skarmory in Sand. Infernape, Jolteon, just Pokemon in general that have problems with the SkarmBliss combo (when I mentioned Infernape, I'm talking strict SpecialApe with Nasty Plot, or PhysicalApe with Swords Dance. Not Mixed, obviously).

....... ALL versions of Infernape beat Skarmbliss, lol.

Towelie, I was trying to make an Aerodactyl without Life Orb focused more on being a good "check" to certain threats in Sandstorm. Lucario, Infernape, and Heatran all have trouble with it due to its typing. (well Extremepseed still hurts but it won't kill you after SR). Provided you have Mag, Aerodactyl can check a lot of threats in one slot on your standard Sandstorm team. Any mention of Leftovers on this set?

Scarf Starmie surf doesnt come close to koing aerodactyl in ss, so it cant switch in, and if aero is at reasonable health, it can't ko, but ya it can be a really problem if im sufficiently weakened enough

Edit: To RL. I guess leftovers MIGHT get a slash, but it loses out on so many kos. Starmie doesnt come close, nor does gyara and all the frail shit that LO pushes the 2hko into. What i do like about lefties is the longevity which helps it beat stall much easier as well as checking common threats like ttar and luke (like you said) more often throughout the match. I think ill slash it. Maybe I should make a more bulky spread if im using lefties to help with sd luke more?

yeah a bulkier spread could be mentioned I'll fish it out. I'm pretty sure you can still KO Gyarados and Mence with Stone Edge after Stealth Rock and Intimidate right? (If nothing else, you still can at least revenge +1 Gyarados)

Alrite just two more. Can some more QC members please look at this? Only one has... Anyways I've posted more logs of this sets effectiveness.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
boom goes the dynamite

It's pretty much the physical equivalent of Starmie in terms of late game cleaning and just being an annoying revenge killing prick.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I took a moment of my agenda to test out this set, and I'm pleased with the outcomes.
This is ready for proofreading.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rock Slide at least needs a slash. 30% Flinch + double the accuracy = crazy delicious!

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oh my god i cannot rep this set enough

I have professed my love for Starmie on many occasions, and this is like cleaner LOmie on crack. It can switch into Heatran with ease, especially if you also bring TTar to the party, and it works incredibly well in tandem with Magnezone, which can clear out Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor that would otherwise shut Aero down.

Best set I've ever tested for QC? Quite possibly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)